Lt. Commander
I know that this was introduced quite some time ago. I do not however know why this was introduced, and if anyone knows why, I'd appreciate being brought into the loop.

What makes me particularly curious is that many ships have a +5% to all subsystems, or +15% to aux, or +10% to weapons and engines. But in effect, all this ammounts to is +15% power or +20% power, since with a hard cap, the only thing changed is the minimum levels you can set for these subsystems. A seperated Galaxy R won't hit any harder unless he was running weapons power below maximum in the first place for example.

So, with this being held in mind, it needs to be removed, or the way the bonus subsystem power works needs to be changed (to flat damage or speed/turn bonus in a similar way to a ship's shield modifier). Unless that bonus power ignores the cap of course, but as far as I can tell it doesn't.

Another idea I had was to allow EPS consoles to raise a ships hard cap, since the improved power distribution infastructure surely should be able to handle higher levels of power?

Anyhow, answers, suggestions, "you're crazy man", and other opinions would be most appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2012, 01:33 AM
I remember something about some KDF BOP had something managed to max out his DHC disruptors to almost 180 or 200 weapon power with all his tact buffs/maneuvers + weapon batteries + red matter capacitor.

Then he went into PVP and subsequently (To quote the klingon empire here) proceeded to wipe out enemies of the empire with such distinction that the federation cried out 'WTF NERF THIS NOW!'

And here we are..... neutered since 2010
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2012, 01:38 AM
The bonuses do have a maximum effect. You can use them to get up to 125% full power. Realistically, how much more energy could you pump through a system beyond its maximum rating before it blows? You ~could~ dump your entire warp reactor's output in to a shield emitter, but that emitter won't last long. A few seconds and your consoles are going to explode in a shower of sparks.

From a game standpoint, use those bonuses that would stretch beyond the 125% in other systems. If you have an extra 5% that isn't going to be used in Weapons, lower that stat's overflow and raise Shields or something. Balance is the name of the game, my friend.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
Realistically, how much more energy could you pump through a system beyond its maximum rating before it blows? You ~could~ dump your entire warp reactor's output in to a shield emitter, but that emitter won't last long.
That's what beam overload does. You pump warp plasma directly into the array or beam bank for one heavy shot. Unfortunately Federation and Klingon weapons and power transfer technologies are so incredibly primitive and inefficient that we have to wait for an intolerable 30 seconds to do it again after the first overloaded shot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
The bonuses do have a maximum effect. You can use them to get up to 125% full power. Realistically, how much more energy could you pump through a system beyond its maximum rating before it blows? You ~could~ dump your entire warp reactor's output in to a shield emitter, but that emitter won't last long. A few seconds and your consoles are going to explode in a shower of sparks.
This is the reason I suggested that the EPS console be used in this way, since improvements to the power distribution system should in theory allow more to be distributed to certain areas.

Quote:
From a game standpoint, use those bonuses that would stretch beyond the 125% in other systems. If you have an extra 5% that isn't going to be used in Weapons, lower that stat's overflow and raise Shields or something. Balance is the name of the game, my friend.
Yeah, this is something I've been doing for a while now, but my point was that it seems a waste having a bonus here, or a bonus there, since all it's really contributing is changing the minimum and adding to the ammount of power on tap in general. It just seems that the hard cap was introduced without adjusting other aspects to take the (then) new cap into account. For example, it's quite easy to kick weapons power up to 125% even with no bonus in that area due to spending skill points in the appropriate areas. The subsystem power bonus is an obsolete mechanic at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
That's what beam overload does. You pump warp plasma directly into the array or beam bank for one heavy shot. Unfortunately Federation and Klingon weapons and power transfer technologies are so incredibly primitive and inefficient that we have to wait for an intolerable 30 seconds to do it again after the first overloaded shot.

Yes, but that is for a single shot. There is a substantial difference between stressing the system for a brief moment and keeping it at that level indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
This is the reason I suggested that the EPS console be used in this way, since improvements to the power distribution system should in theory allow more to be distributed to certain areas.

If that were to be the case, then shouldn't the Power Levels be hard capped at 90% efficiency? No ship runs perfectly at its stock settings. You would have to use Skills to boost it to 100%. Then the adding EPS Consoles to push the limit to 125%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Yeah, this is something I've been doing for a while now, but my point was that it seems a waste having a bonus here, or a bonus there, since all it's really contributing is changing the minimum and adding to the ammount of power on tap in general. It just seems that the hard cap was introduced without adjusting other aspects to take the (then) new cap into account. For example, it's quite easy to kick weapons power up to 125% even with no bonus in that area due to spending skill points in the appropriate areas. The subsystem power bonus is an obsolete mechanic at the moment.

I humbly disagree with you. I think that the point is less to make that one system have more power than it is to afford you more power overall. If the subsystem itself is more efficient then the ship needs less power to run that subsystem, hence you have more power to spread across the board. That, I believe, is what the +15% bonus is trying to show you: that subsystem is 15% more efficient on this class of vessel when compared to other classes.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Also weapon power
02-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Weapon power drains with each weapon with each shot. So while you have a max of 125, your actual weapon power will be lower while shooting. So you can effectively take your weapon power above 125 since it can sit at 125 max but be higher than normal while shooting because you used consoles and skills or batteries to get more than 125, even though it sits at the cap until needed.