Lt. Commander
# 11
02-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
A simple re-sizing of the trigger area would work as well. If they made it so that the door doesn't open until until you're much closer. Would eliminate most of the opening & closing.

peter
I really don't care how they fix it, but I wish they would. Wandering crew should *never* open the door to the Captain's quarters on any ship or the Conference room/Ready room on the Constituton and Belfast interiors. If nothing else, the wandering crew should have their pathing changed so they don't get close enough to the doors to open them.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I really don't care how they fix it, but I wish they would. Wandering crew should *never* open the door to the Captain's quarters on any ship or the Conference room/Ready room on the Constituton and Belfast interiors. If nothing else, the wandering crew should have their pathing changed so they don't get close enough to the doors to open them.
The Pathing can be adjusted, but currently the trigger radius covers the whole hallway width (and then some). Shrinking the trigger zone would also be better in the smaller rooms, like your quarters, where no matter where you are in it (as far as I've tried, admittedly not that much) the door stays open.

On a small ship like that I'm sleeping with my door closed, and I'm definitely changing with it closed.

For instance; in the following picture, I'm as close as I can be to the turbolift door without it opening.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...6-16-07-48.jpg

peter
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
The Pathing can be adjusted, but currently the trigger radius covers the whole hallway width (and then some). Shrinking the trigger zone would also be better in the smaller rooms, like your quarters, where no matter where you are in it (as far as I've tried, admittedly not that much) the door stays open.

On a small ship like that I'm sleeping with my door closed, and I'm definitely changing with it closed.

For instance; in the following picture, I'm as close as I can be to the turbolift door without it opening.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...6-16-07-48.jpg

peter
Agreed about the 'trigger zone', too. So, if they could change NPC crew pathing *and* lower the trigger zone radius, Captain's quarters and other 'private' spots would finally be private. I hope a Dev who works on those things can get it taken care of.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-17-2012, 11:32 PM
instead of auto triggers for bridge interitors let us manually open them? would solve that issue then the auto trigger couls just still be used in large social areas still.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Trigger volumes on doors have to stick out far enough so that as you walk toward the door, it has a chance to open before you get to the threshold. Otherwise you end up eating door.

Doors in Trek always opened automatically, we can manually trigger doors, but it isn't consistent with the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Trigger volumes on doors have to stick out far enough so that as you walk toward the door, it has a chance to open before you get to the threshold. Otherwise you end up eating door.

Doors in Trek always opened automatically, we can manually trigger doors, but it isn't consistent with the shows.
In the shows, if people are in their quarters, the doors don't automatically open. If the captain is in their ready rooms, the doors didn't open automatically, but had to be opened by the Captain (usually via a voice command, granted).

However, I can see leaving the automatic doors in. That's fine. But can someone look at the pathing of the NPCs so they don't walk near the trigger points for certain doors? I know it's possible to set up pathing waypoints because it was mentioned in other threads by Devs in the past. Nothing breaks immersion when you're having a meeting than having the door open Every. Five. Damn. Seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:

Walk sure, but you are talking about the standard running.

Have you visited the interior?

Take the Captain's Quarters; you have to stand at the wall opposite of the door and wait until finally a moment when the NPCs have by chance cleared out around it for the door to close.

The Ready Room: Door always stays open

Engineering: Doors are always open

Transporter room/Galley/Random Useless Console Room/Sickbay; The doors are constantly opening every second down there... its all you can hear. Why are these people wandering around the ship? Can't they just stand there and do their jobs? The defiant is supposed to be a sparsely crewed ship anyway, where did they all come from? Is Richard Simmons hosting a Walk-A-Thon on my ship I didn't know about? The walkway between those four rooms is like the runway at Milan.. that or the food court at the mall during the holiday season. Why? And speaking of this deck.... Why is it that I have to change instances 2 times to be able to leave my interior? You have to change instance to deck 1, then change instance again to the old defiant bridge that's been reskinned instead of building it into deck 1 like it should have been..... Why can't i use my transporter to leave deck 2?

I like the interior, but after waiting so long to get it I'm a bit disappointed that no one on the team saw this stuff and said.. you know, i think the doors opening and closing every second is annoying let me re-path the NPCs or reduce the radius of the door trigger...

I feel for you guys, you get beat up over a lot of stuff. I wish that you would just make things canon first, then modify if need be... thats all everybody wants, right or wrong. Then instead of coming up with excuses like that guy in the LCARS thread all you have to do is say "Oh, you can't turn around on your bridge, well per canon the bridge is only ten feet wide." and I would be cool with that... and so would most people.

...And if you go back and watch some trek, particularly on the Defiant you HAD to be eating the door to before it opened... thats just how it was.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Quote:

Whilst you are very much correct, I have a nagging feeling that all the Defiant doors were manual release - the better to get that submarine feeling.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:

That would be find if they closed after yout, But ready room and captain quarters never close.

Also for a crew of only 50. Thee are ton of people walking around
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
First off, Tumerboy, I want to compliment you on an excellent job. It's clear someone spent a lot of time staring at the DS9 Technical Manual. I once tried to recreate the Defiant interior in a freebie game engine so I immediately recognized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought05 View Post
Whilst you are very much correct, I have a nagging feeling that all the Defiant doors were manual release - the better to get that submarine feeling.
You know I got the same impression. Perhaps Starfleet had the same problem we do. :p

Another small suggestion I would like to make is permanently closing the doors between the mess hall and transporter room and between the sickbay and science lab. I feels a little strange that you can walk right through.

One last request, any chance we could get the blast doors in the mess hall to retract like in the TOS interior?