Lt. Commander
# 21
02-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I am the friend of "MGMirkin" the one issues with decompressing errors. We have turned trend antivirus and told STO to force verify which it did but still crashing.

Gets through load screens, gets to character selection screen then crashes.

After crash gameclient.exe still hung task manager, turned off manually still not working when you try to force verify files.

it was working for two hours last night, had to patch the new featured episode series and crashed after patch had to restart computer and was able mission picked up reward tried to transition map to space and the game crashed.

restart computer able to play one mission and the cleint crashes it has done five times today from 10am (Screen Shot 1) to 2pm all PST. (Screen shot 5)

I have also uploaded Dxdiag and print screen that for you, please help guys.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGmirkin
Kettle. Pot. Black?

Ya' sound a bit know-it-all yourself...

And, yes, some antiviruses and pop-up blockers CAN interfere with downloads. Used to do software tech support back in ~2004 and that was the biggest problem with people installing software or downloading updates...

So, what kind of antivirus you running, if any? Pop-up blockers? etc?

Not asking whether you have viruses. I'm sure you probably don't... But that wasn't the original suggestion, which you seem to have missed.

It seems that perhaps a downloaded file was either saved corrupted during an update download or has become corrupted after the fact?
I am not trying to be a know it all, I am showing that I covered all the bases, I have just confirmed that my AV was turned off during all updates, so I have ruled that out as well. If you think showing the evidence that I have covered all my bases is being a "know it all" you have a pretty bad idea of what a know it all is. I was providing this information for someone to find an answer to this issue since after confirming its not hardware related, not infection related, and just confirming its not AV related. I would like to be able to play this game as I have come to enjoy it immensely. I did as asked by the GMs and provided my DXDiag, HijackThis log, and a screenshot of the error and have not gotten a constructive response.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingmyst
I have just confirmed that my AV was turned off during all updates, so I have ruled that out as well.
Yeah, we just tried the same thing... Was running fine for a couple hours last night. Funny thing is I was TRYING to get it to crash so I could screen-cap the error and it ironically refused to crash. Managed to get a couple missions done in the process.

But, turned it off, friend logged in this morning, patched to play new featured epi and started getting crashes again. As he stated above, I had him exit the AntiVirus via right-clicking the tray icon for Trend and hitting Exit. Had him force verify, re-load client and it still crashed... So, it would SEEM it's not the Anti-virus. Though I can't guarantee no bits and pieces of AV services weren't still running in background. Vaguely recall from tech support days that sometimes various bits of AV, pop-up blocker, firewall software would continue running in the background even if the tray icon was 'exited.' In those cases, only a safe-mode or selective startup to completely disable them allowed a 'normal' update. Some software can be a real pain in the @$$...

But, *if* it's not the AV, then the next question is "now what?" Guess maybe that's up to Cryptic? Don't know. Certainly seems like some downloaded texture files are getting corrupted and that force verify isn't necessarily 'fixing' them, if so...

I know it runs fine on his other computer (although the video card blows and the graphics are pixelated & terrible by comparison to the new machine) and it runs fine on my laptop. So, it makes me think there's something specific to the new machine (conflicting software, etc.). But it's hard to pin down...

So, what's next, Cryptic? I mean, I guess we could try a selective startup disabling Trend entirely from starting ANY services at startup and then try a force-verify (if that indeed 'fixes' corrupted textures & such). If something like that doesn't work, then what? I mean I can try a check disk, but I really don't expect any issues on a brand new machine. Still, willing to try the basics if only to "rule them out."

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
If you think showing the evidence that I have covered all my bases is being a "know it all"...[snip]
Again, you missed the point of the post. That seems to be a common thing? Need to work on he critical listening skills...

My point was that you DIDN'T demonstrate "covering all the bases" precisely because you glibly and dismissively waved off the commenter's suggestion of a possible fix (AKA, that an anti-virus product [or pop-up blocker, or fire-wall or anti-spam product] *might* interfere with the normal' download, write or installation of patch file(s)).

But anyway... NOW, we've BOTH tentatively tried to rule out the 'anti-virus interference' hypothesis (though perhaps not as thoroughly as completely blocking the AV program from loading ANY components? some programs are naughty about still 'doing things' in the background even when the user 'turns them off'...) and can probably move on to whatever the next possibility might be...

As you were, cadet...

Quote:
I would like to be able to play this game as I have come to enjoy it immensely. I did as asked by the GMs and provided my DXDiag, HijackThis log, and a screenshot of the error and have not gotten a constructive response.
Well, believe it or not, the suggestion to try turning off antivirus while downloading *was* a constructive response... Granted, not from the devs / techs maybe.

We're all in the same boat trying to ensure the game functions properly, so we can agree we'd all like to know what's going on... Since we all enjoy the game and want to see it do well. So, certainly agree with you there. Definitely want to know what's up so I can get my friend back up and running. He loves the new machine when the software's working properly, it's just a matter of figuring out exactly where the issue lies so a fix can be found. Hence the testing of various common issues like AV, etc. Only after ruling out the basics can we move on to more complicated fixes...

It would also be nice if a few duplicate threads could be merged...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=254923
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=253989
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=55997
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=256607
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=251837
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=250850
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=249401
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=242507
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=246019
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=242759
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=242506
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=233706
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=238232

Maybe this one too, though they didn't post the error message. Sounds a lot like the same one?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=255069

Best,
~MG
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Some anti-virus packages are known for corrupting the download of large files... Also, how old is your hard-disk??? Disk errors is one of the early signs that its getting ready to die....
This comment was on the very first page of this forum link, hence why at the end of the second page, I did not feel it necessary to explain that I have already tried that until everyone seems to get peeved if you dismiss the suggestion while providing other evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGmirkin
Again, you missed the point of the post. That seems to be a common thing? Need to work on he critical listening skills...

My point was that you DIDN'T demonstrate "covering all the bases" precisely because you glibly and dismissively waved off the commenter's suggestion of a possible fix (AKA, that an anti-virus product [or pop-up blocker, or fire-wall or anti-spam product] *might* interfere with the normal' download, write or installation of patch file(s)).

Since I had already tried that earlier when the issue first began since earlier on in the posts that was a recommendation, I didnt feel I had to notate that since ususally that is common sense to do. But since everyone has gotten all peeved that I showed everything else but neglected to say, yeah I checked the AV, I went and checked it once more. I wasnt glibly or dismissevly waving off the suggestion because I thought it was dumb, I ignored it since I had already attempted that. The same answer has been repeated several times and I have had to repeat my issue several times each time saying I have already tried that.

Now since we all have verified AV not an issue at this time, ruled out virus infection, ruled out hardware, lets stop quibbleing over this and try to find a solution. Since this issue has occured after the Feb 16th update and no one has yet found an answer to this, I hope that a Dev somewhere will look at all the evidence provided including the screenshots and other information the Devs asked earlier in the post and finally say, oh yeah just try this and poof we can finally play again.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
If you can, try the following:

This Requires someone with a working copy of STO
1) Copy the working version of STO to a Flash drive or DVD and copy it to the PC having issues.

Does this solve the issue ?

If it does, then it's a connection issue when downloading the game files. (contact your ISP and ask for a line check as you could have a build up of line errors - this manifests itself more with large downloads)

If the Game still doesn't Run / Install or option (1) is out the question ?

2) Run a memory check diagnostic program to see if your memory is healthy

3) Run a CPU diagnostic program to make sure your CPU is working properly

4) Run a HDD diagnostic program to ensure your drive isn't on the way out

5) Run a GFX card diagnostic program to make sure the card isn't on the way out or overheating

Let us know what the results were.

If there's 100 million PC's out there & 1% have a device failure, that's 1million PC's up the duff! Chances of more that 50% of STO users with an unknown PC issue? Higher than you'd imagine!!
Lt. Commander
# 27 Ran disk check @ restart.
02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Ran check disk @ startup. Took about 1/2 hr, no issues detected. Didn't figure there would be any, since it's a new machine. No surprise there.

turned off Trend, turned off on-demand patching, downloaded ENTIRE patch for Holodeck (live server). Played part of Ultimate Klingon, then map switched after ground portion and game client crashed with decompression error, something about an asteroid texture...

Now I'm turning off Trend, killing one extra Trend process from task manager and turning off firewall. Will try re-downloading patch, just in case windows firewall was disrupting something. Windows Defender is/has been currently disabled. So, shouldn't be that.

Just going through one step at a time, I guess. Whittling it down.

~MG
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy72
If you can, try the following:

This Requires someone with a working copy of STO
1) Copy the working version of STO to a Flash drive or DVD and copy it to the PC having issues.

Does this solve the issue ?

If it does, then it's a connection issue when downloading the game files. (contact your ISP and ask for a line check as you could have a build up of line errors - this manifests itself more with large downloads)

If the Game still doesn't Run / Install or option (1) is out the question ?

2) Run a memory check diagnostic program to see if your memory is healthy

3) Run a CPU diagnostic program to make sure your CPU is working properly

4) Run a HDD diagnostic program to ensure your drive isn't on the way out

5) Run a GFX card diagnostic program to make sure the card isn't on the way out or overheating

Let us know what the results were.

If there's 100 million PC's out there & 1% have a device failure, that's 1million PC's up the duff! Chances of more that 50% of STO users with an unknown PC issue? Higher than you'd imagine!!
Comp is NEW as of a couple weeks ago, so no reason to suspect anything "on its way out." And would GPU going out cause "decompression error"? That sounds like a software / file corruption issue. Just wondering.

Chkdsk didn't turn up anything & didn't expect it to.

Can you suggest a good free CPU / GPU / memory diagnostic program? Preferably something reliable (no spyware, etc.)...

Also, if we copied the working version to a flash drive (not sure whether we have a large enough flash drive) could we even run it on the other machine, or would the program need to be re-registered in the registry, etc. Would we still have to patch files? What exactly are we copying where? Are we literally copying over the top of the bad version with the "good" one? Or putting it somewhere else? Could we do a more limited copy of files like just the texture files, which seem to be what are erroring out duing decompression? What files would we have to copy over and where?

If it were a line issue corrupting downloads wouldn't that affect BOTH machines, since they're both connected to the same hard-wired Frontier FiOS router? I mean, why would only ONE computer manifest download errors if it's a line error, shouldn't they both be crashing? But it's only the new machine showing issues... The old one works perfectly fine. I'm still suspecting an anti-virus / firewall issue. But, it's hard to say. I might disable firewall / Trend & do a complete uninstall and fresh reinstall & patch. Pain in the @$$, but might do something if there really is some residual corrupted file or other (though after a fresh total patch with on-demand disabled, one wouldn't think so?)...

Best,
~MG

P.S. Added a copy of HijackThis log. Apparently it uses .log extensions rather than .txt. *grumble* Okay, changed that. Hopefully it still works.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Since I had already tried that earlier when the issue first began since earlier on in the posts that was a recommendation, I didnt feel I had to notate that since...
I'm going to cut you off there, in a good way and offer an apology. I can admit when I'm in the wrong...

Actually this little scuffle arose out of an error on my part. In my original annoyed post, I actually was referring to the post by Super Tank. Not sure why I managed to include a line from one of your posts (probably 'cause it mentioned checking for viruses & the ol' brain associated with with comments about AV programs, so I didn't pay attention to the source of the comment & it had nothing to do with the other comment). In fact, I didn't mean to respond to you at all... Sorry that I totally missed the different handle and your post get conflated/roped into the gripe. Thought it was the same guy [Super Tank] arguing...

-10 to me for that one. Sorry... *"Reading for comprehension" irony duly noted...* D'oh! *facepalm*

Really was just annoyed by Super Tank's out-of-hand dismissive comment about Grouchy.Otaku's suggestion that AV programs can cause download interruptions (which they can).

My bad, as they say... Didn't mean to level any vituperations at you, Rising. & sorry for not noticing the confusion earlier. *sigh* Will be more diligent in the future...

Anywho, hopefully we can all get along long enough to figure out what the issue is.
Lt. Commander
# 30 Fresh install still crashes?
02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Okay, so I've disabled Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security via selective startup All startup and Service items listed as being manufactured by Trend. Turned off Windows Firewall. Uninstalled STO. Deleted Cryptic directory from Programs x86. Restarted computer. Reinstalled. Patched the long way (not on-demand, but up-front). Closed. Restarted computer. Opened the launcher, launched. Walked around Klingon Academy for a coupel minutes, went to beam to Qo'Nos. Crashed decompressing texture.

Disk check didn't turn up anything.

Here's the most current dxdiag, HijackThis, & screen cap.

~MG