Lt. Commander
# 121
02-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I'll just post my experience with this style of moderation: The Marvel Comics forums.

It didn't work too well having specific members of the community given moderation powers. There was too much abuse, and way too much bias.

For example you couldn't make a joke about The Avengers without one very diehard Avengers fan who was a moderator through their program taking it way out of context and then taking action against you.

That was just one example. You mix in Sider-man fans, and various X-Men fans, and it was just an overall horrible forum experience due to the fans themselves, along with all of their biases, coming together and not even agreeing on any form of consistent moderation.

The community/customers already have their own agenda and biases. So making them moderator is already doing it from a negative.

But hey, whatever you all think will work. I've never seen that type of program work. Marvel just happens to be the most egregious example I've experienced.

EDIT:

I wish it were that simple. But the problem is ... this type of abuse does happen in these programs. And the overall impact of such negative behavior is huge. Recovering from that kind of damage is never simple.
now that is Wisdom, trying to lead intelligence. Let us hope they do listen S
Lt. Commander
# 122
02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
did anyone else not that there are less mods now that there are 3 community mods. was the idea not to bring on more help not replace it? if you check most every sub form there is now one cryptic employee and the 3 new ones now. where as before most sub-forums had more or less 4 to 6 cryptic developers that would mod as they came across anything (mostly passing it up the chin much as we do)

note please note that im not saying that the new mods are not doing there job right, in fact that they seam to be doing rather well. and all things considered we Trekkies are mature and capable of handling ourselves in a professorial manner.

days when the survors are down/slow/full excluded. hew everyone is intitled to be mad, like when your stuck in traffic or someone did not start a fresh pot of coffie after finnishing the last of the one before. but we are all human

just pointing out the things i see.
Lt. Commander
# 123
02-11-2012, 01:51 PM
All those Mod names have been on the forum since launch, but most of them haven't been STO forum Mods for a long, long, long time. Technically those names should have been taken off, but it hasn't really been a priority.
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
did anyone else not that there are less mods now that there are 3 community mods. was the idea not to bring on more help not replace it? if you check most every sub form there is now one cryptic employee and the 3 new ones now. where as before most sub-forums had more or less 4 to 6 cryptic developers that would mod as they came across anything (mostly passing it up the chin much as we do)

note please note that im not saying that the new mods are not doing there job right, in fact that they seam to be doing rather well. and all things considered we Trekkies are mature and capable of handling ourselves in a professorial manner.

days when the survors are down/slow/full excluded. hew everyone is intitled to be mad, like when your stuck in traffic or someone did not start a fresh pot of coffie after finnishing the last of the one before. but we are all human

just pointing out the things i see.
I have no offical responce on this, since I am just a volunteer, however, from what I remember, a few of the people with moderation rights in some of the subsections were either regular devs or GM's. Infact I felt a few of them were defunct, ie, Dstahl rarely actually moderated stuff, even thoguh he was listed as having moderation rights.

That said, I'm assumng that the GM's that used to help moderate the forums now have enough time freed up to maybe assist with the tickets system? I know I spend about 1-2 hours a day going though the forum report logs and the other 2 guys probably spend even more time than that daily. so I can only imagine how much time this has freed up for the GM's to actually spend time on other issues. Same for Brandon, now he can focus much more on addressing issues on the forums and making reports for the devs, rather than having to spend hours sifting though report logs.
Lt. Commander
# 125
02-11-2012, 03:11 PM
true i did not think of the ticket system.

i have not filed a ticket since say, Sep '11. and those i did file were almost never followed up on.

i don't know what its like now, but ive come to view the ticket system "we thank you for you input and it will be looked into as soon(TM) as possible" but there are tens of hundreds of tickets filed daily so odds of mine coming across a employ's desk is remote.

-- Please enjoy the music as your clame is processed --
Lt. Commander
# 126
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
The general purpose of community mods would be so that there were people to police the forums and keep them from getting out of hand while the GMs and devs would then be freed up to perform the duties for which they were hired.

I've seen what happens when a CM (read: community manager) gets overwhelmed due to lack of forum moderation. Either (a) the forum devolves into near anarchy or (b) the CM devotes so much time to regulating the forums that they don't have time to do the job they're supposed to do (provide feedback to the devs and help with the creation of new community content).
Lt. Commander
# 127
02-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a problem. The ticket system gets ignored, so it doesn't really work very well for offering feedback. However, I feel the need to offer feedback on the current state of this program as I'm witnessing far too many discussions which haven't violated any rules getting shut down this weekend.

Is that the goal of this program? To obstruct discussion? If so, bang up job! Top notch and all that!

But before I get into specifics, I'd really like someone to walk me through the process of taking out these tickets, because I've never seen them actually work. They just get sent off into a queue where they're ignored. Unless, of coruse, that's also the goal?

My experience with customer service, especially the ticket process, has been consistent. But consistently ignored. It makes me leery about filing any further tickets as I don't see how they get looked at or responded to?
Lt. Commander
# 128 Big Brother is Watching Us...
02-20-2012, 04:45 AM
So... from what I understand... it was once us, the Gold Member investor keeping each other in check... Now the government is going to do it for us? Well... that explains why we're getting censored
Lt. Commander
Hi Captains,

If you are issued a warning on the STO forums, there is currently a bug in the system where the message you receive to your in-game/ forum mail box may be blank -- some users get blank messages and some have been getting the intended messages. Again, this is a bug and the web team is trying to track down why this may be happening.

Regardless of this, you should still be getting an email to the email address you used during registration for STO with the full warning reason/ info. You can also check your account profile here on the site to see the thread/ post that you have been issued a warning on.

Lastly, if your message is blank and you did not get an email to the email address you registered with, please file a community support ticket so we can send you the warning text manually.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 130
02-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Is that the goal of this program? To obstruct discussion? If so, bang up job! Top notch and all that!

But before I get into specifics, I'd really like someone to walk me through the process of taking out these tickets, because I've never seen them actually work. They just get sent off into a queue where they're ignored. Unless, of coruse, that's also the goal?
SSSSSHHHHHH!!!! even figuring out the point of the system is considered crimethink! :p
Closed Thread