Lt. Commander
# 11
02-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-sensei View Post
Agreed.

Interesting: "It seems we're stuck with what we have" - This is a phrase dropped by the Devs, e.g. xxxxxxxx, more than once^^
Careful with the naming, only Cryptic can do that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
When it comes right down to it, I'd rather the graphics folks concentrated on new missions and new ships, rather than interiors.
I have to agree with this. It would be awesome to have custom interiors for every ship, but pretty much no part of the game takes place within our ship. It's a large undertaking for a relatively insignificant result.

Frankly, STO's dev team is pretty small, and they already use a lot of their resources making fluff for sale on the C-Store (such as the new DS9 pack). I'd rather see them making things like new Shuttle missions, possibly Dailies or STFs with shuttles, or just new STFs in general so I could fight things other than Borg to get my EDCs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
You've just revived a very old debate, where Dstahl called me a troll for posting this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40d-SpClc5Q

That game is now over a decade old, although these sets were made mid-2000s with a ugc tool 8000x more powerful than the Foundry.
Yeah, that is ashame that a decade old game has more authenticity than STO. And there is even an old 30 year old PC game that has more exploration than STO does.

But the STO team is finally realizing authentic is the way to go with the TOS interior, the canonical Defiant set, and Tumerboy's shuttlebay revamp. So hopefully they are working hard on more authentic sets and replace some of these lousy interiors.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattimus_Prime View Post
I have to agree with this. It would be awesome to have custom interiors for every ship, but pretty much no part of the game takes place within our ship. It's a large undertaking for a relatively insignificant result.

If they gave the foundry authors better interior tools, we'll take you through every nook, cranny, and jeffries tube of your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
If they gave the foundry authors better interior tools, we'll take you through every nook, cranny, and jeffries tube of your ship.
I wouldn't count on that ever happening to a degree of quality. A dev I shall not name, but rather refer to as Mister DoNothing, has been wrangling the foundry for a while, and all we got added was a tip system.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Yeah, that is ashame that a decade old game has more authenticity than STO. And there is even an old 30 year old PC game that has more exploration than STO does.
It's also a tribute to the power of fans, when given powerful tools. Nearly everything you see in that video was hand-made using EF's ugc toolset, years after Activision released one exp. pack and never did a single thing to the game.

It survived for another 6 or 7 years, solely on the work of modders, map-makers, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
It's also a tribute to the power of fans, when given powerful tools. Nearly everything you see in that video was hand-made using EF's ugc toolset, years after Activision released one exp. pack and never did a single thing to the game.

It survived for another 6 or 7 years, solely on the work of modders, map-makers, etc.
Indeed, that video is a testimony of what people can do with mod tools.

And that creativity still exist with STO's Foundry too (as I'm sure you are very well aware of). So once Cryptic makes more tools available, we can make this game shine!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Devon View Post
i think a shuttlebay where you can use a system similar to the trophy system in the mess hall to display your shuttles, and a cargo bay, and that the rest of each ship should atleast slightly resemble the bridge they belong to.
This is on my list of wants as well. The custom shuttles using the trophy system is a brilliant idea. I could see it working for crew uniforms as well... giving us a list of premade canon and cryptic uniforms to set for the cew.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
Careful with the naming, only Cryptic can do that.
Let them cry a river and get over it. The fact is they've been outright lying to us about the whole thing since the very beginning. The real problem wih Cryptic is that they would rather make excuses as to why they can do something rather than spend that extra hour or two and do it right. They're really rather pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
In a typical game-design workflow, the base model has to be crafted first before function tags can be placed on the map. Therefore, aesthetics must be the first step. Once functionality is added, there's no going backwards without starting over from scratch.

Unfortunately, Cryptic lacks either the ability or the will to make it right. It seems we're stuck with what we have - - which is why I don't buy anything. Cryptic continues to release poor representations of famous sets and locations, despite 700 hours or television reference and 2 years of mediochre reviews from the very customers they're trying to please. Sales could be SO much higher if they just took a moment and understood their audience's wishes.
Yeah, then we get a message from one of them saying that "good enough" is what they normally say. I was flabbergasted when I read that since it is to their benefit that the customer is satisfied.