Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I too run my char as a captain.

I have captains pins on my uniform...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
With the exception of my main character on each side, I keep all of my characters in line with the ranks up to Captain. My main character is the Admiral over the other characters in my roster. My main Klink is a Lt. General, the rest are Captains under him.

I really like the idea put forth by Leviathan99 though. I would be all for that system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Tbh the ranks in sto is too much and what i mean is the end game rank should be captain as thats what everyone really plays to be anyhow i.e captain of the enterprise or whatever ship your flying.

They should get rid of the admiral ranks and just call

Ensign 0 - 4
Lt 5 - 9
Lt comm 10 - 29
Comm 30 - 49
Cap 50

Or somit similar.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
My second uniform slot is a lowly lieutenant and when doing such things as Bajor or other low tasks I play the part of a junior officer. I don't like running around as Admiral so I don't for the most part. Imagination is all in your head. There shouldn't be 300 admirals hovering around DS9 therefor there aren't because I use my imagination. Rank is what you choose to display on your uniform - not what Cryptic displays as a icon next to your name at the top of the screen.

Heck, my tactical admiral weird alien thing flipped uniforms into a human female science officer. I role played that this was the alien shape shifting into the form of her deceased foster mother whom she cherishes and being 'human' made her less scarey to those around her.

My crew were all promoted to commander to get the skills yet they are not all commander. My first officer and medical officer are but the rest are a mixture of chief to lieutenant commander if you look at their uniform.

You must use your imagination and you do even though you don't know you are such as did you destroy the dooms day weapon and become a hero or did every single other player do it also?

TLDR: Your character is what you make of it. If you don't want your admiral to do trivial tasks then flip uniforms and role play as a junior officer ordered to do it by the admiral and have fun.
Well that's really a nice idea. My first officer (the Vulcan on my avatar pic) is also my only alt so when I feel like sending my First Officer to a mission I switch to that character.

But the more I think about your idea the more I like it. Besides the fact that my "second" Officer will still have the same name it's worth a try.
At the end it's all about your imagination.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-20-2012, 02:06 PM
It doesn't really bother me at this point.

I was really bothered for a while about being promoted to Admiral and not doing Admiral like things. However, the duty officer system changed all of that so my admiral is happily bored and I login once every couple of days to see how his orders are being carried out.

As far as missions beneath me or what have you, my admiral takes after that whole cowboy diplomacy guns blazing crapola. So, going on away missions, even ones that suck, are a necessity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I would really like, for missions like 'Of Bajor', to simply be able to become one of my Bridge Officers temporarily.

That way I could have the illusion of sending a subordinate to do tasks that a Vice Admiral would never do. Since they top out at Commander rank, there would be way fewer instances where it would be an odd situation. I could even keep around a lowly Ensign if I wanted to.

Wouldn't that really be a better solution? Heck, for that matter, let me become my XO for Away missions if I want to.

I do like the idea of an Alien having alternate costumes for his Bridge Officers... but it doesn't turn a Tactical captain into a Science officer.

Sure, I know the tech doesn't exist for it right now. But that's the "solution" that I would rather see.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I would really like, for missions like 'Of Bajor', to simply be able to become one of my Bridge Officers temporarily.
That would be the best solution. When Cryptic talked about the "Turn one of your BOs to be playable Captain" long time ago I really was hoping for something like you mentioned. Unfortunately I think I was misintepretating it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Imagination is good in theory.

Until an NPC calls you Admiral. Then immersion breaks so yea..

They really can fix this, in the first FE of this series they integrated the Doff system into it, so why not allow these lower rank tasks to be delegated to a Doff?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
They really can fix this, in the first FE of this series they integrated the Doff system into it, so why not allow these lower rank tasks to be delegated to a Doff?
You know, I had the same thought. Then I remembered "Hey, we've been asking for stuff like this, and now that I'm doing it, I'd rather pawn it off on my crew and not do it."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I've said this for awhile... But especially with the focus on level number in Season 5, I would be inclined to make the higher tiers of Asmiral into Duty Officer rewards for maxing out commendation categories; a Fleet Admiral would be someone who has maxed them all out (as that would show commitment to paperwork/delegation).

So that even if the level cap goes up to 60 or 70, you're still a Captain and displaying Admiral ranks would be contingent on Duty Officer progress in multiple categories.

3 makes you a Rear Admiral, 6 maxed commendation categories makes you a Vice Admiral, 9 makes you full Admiral, and 12 makes you a Fleet Admiral.

And maybe bake in optional dialogues for people who have the DOff progress. So anyone who has maxed a minimum of 3 DOff categories starts getting optional mission dialogues with things like:

[Rear Admiral] I order you participate in the peace talks.

If you have the "Rear Admiral" accolade or above, you can start taking shortcuts in missions based on your rank.
Another good idea, as I've come to expect from you. So long as I can still rank up those commendation categories and stay Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
My second uniform slot is a lowly lieutenant and when doing such things as Bajor or other low tasks I play the part of a junior officer. I don't like running around as Admiral so I don't for the most part. Imagination is all in your head. There shouldn't be 300 admirals hovering around DS9 therefor there aren't because I use my imagination. Rank is what you choose to display on your uniform - not what Cryptic displays as a icon next to your name at the top of the screen.

Heck, my tactical admiral weird alien thing flipped uniforms into a human female science officer. I role played that this was the alien shape shifting into the form of her deceased foster mother whom she cherishes and being 'human' made her less scarey to those around her.

My crew were all promoted to commander to get the skills yet they are not all commander. My first officer and medical officer are but the rest are a mixture of chief to lieutenant commander if you look at their uniform.

You must use your imagination and you do even though you don't know you are such as did you destroy the dooms day weapon and become a hero or did every single other player do it also?

TLDR: Your character is what you make of it. If you don't want your admiral to do trivial tasks then flip uniforms and role play as a junior officer ordered to do it by the admiral and have fun.
But for now, this is what I do, however it is a compromise.

The ideal for me would be having the rank and levels/tiers completely seperate and optional though, and for this to be refelcted on your char info and in npc dialogue.

However my fear is Cryptic will look at this as too much work and the ends won't justify the means, so this or somehting similar will never happen :/
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 PM.