Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
The Captain's Log entries are always like this. They are little more than PR spin for the game. Don't expect any actual "games journalism".
I wouldn't go this far. I too find them a bit on the optimistic side but I do like reading TS's articles and, well, everyone has a different perspective on things, you may hate it, others may like it. When I disagree with the opinion, I can still find enough on the "what" of things to merit reading the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd disagree for the following reasons:
  • This is the first STO mission to have truly branching objectives--not just optional ones.
  • Puzzles done in this series outclass anything in the Breen Series: more involved, incorporated artwork, etc.
  • "City Zone" of Bajor has more usefulness post-mission than Defera still does today (i.e. not a lone Ferengi selling stuff).
Bingo.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm never offended when someone disagrees with my POV so no worries there. I will however happily defend myself when someone even remotely thinks I'm here to sell the game. Frankly - I'm asked to do an opinion column and that's what I do.

I think most people that read my blogs and my Massively column will vouch for the fact that I am no one's "cheerleader."

I want a great STO and sometime I complain about stuff too.

It's why my column so clearly stated that I didn't think a lot of people would like "Of Bajor" as much as I did because they hate reading and running around a lot. Was I wrong there? Nope, I think not. Many people didn't like this mission because they had to read and run around a lot.

Since I never team for an FE when I'm going to write about it (because I like to read and watch cutscenes and don't want to tie down any potential teammate) it was impossible for me to know about the teaming bug.

With the exception of the bug with the "captured Changeling" that I was informed about this morning - this mission played beautifully for me - ALL ASPECTS of this mission played beautifully for me.

So I can't write about bugs I do not see. And since I have to write these columns well in advance of publishing, I didn't see any major complaints about bugs until this morning. (My column is due more than 24 hrs before it's published.)

Again, I can TOTALLY understand why a lot of people don't like this mission. It doesn't surprise me in the least; however I loved it. I like reading new story content and Kestrel gave me a truckload.

But for anyone who even thinks that somehow I would taint my personal reputation on a column about a video game you clearly do not know me as a person.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I'm never offended when someone disagrees with my POV so no worries there. I will however happily defend myself when someone even remotely thinks I'm here to sell the game. Frankly - I'm asked to do an opinion column and that's what I do.
And I respect you for it and encourage you to keep doing what you do. I don't want to see this game fold, and any interest from fans, be they column writers or podcasters, to promote the game externally from Cryptic is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I think most people that read my blogs and my Massively column will vouch for the fact that I am no one's "cheerleader."

I want a great STO and sometime I complain about stuff too.
It's all in the context. Unfortunately for you, everyone on these forums are "Insiders looking Out", whereas a great deal of the massively crowd are "Outsiders looking In." I'm glad your column finds appeal, but you have to understand that the tone you set might not necessarily be the one this forum community is feeling. Agree to disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
It's why my column so clearly stated that I didn't think a lot of people would like "Of Bajor" as much as I did because they hate reading and running around a lot. Was I wrong there? Nope, I think not. Many people didn't like this mission because they had to read and run around a lot.

Since I never team for an FE when I'm going to write about it (because I like to read and watch cutscenes and don't want to tie down any potential teammate) it was impossible for me to know about the teaming bug.

With the exception of the bug with the "captured Changeling" that I was informed about this morning - this mission played beautifully for me - ALL ASPECTS of this mission played beautifully for me.

So I can't write about bugs I do not see. And since I have to write these columns well in advance of publishing, I didn't see any major complaints about bugs until this morning. (My column is due more than 24 hrs before it's published.)

I enjoyed it too. Having said that, I'm a big fan of environmental ambience (I'm an Assassin's Creed fan too...) and this mission had it droves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
Again, I can TOTALLY understand why a lot of people don't like this mission. It doesn't surprise me in the least; however I loved it. I like reading new story content and Kestrel gave me a truckload.

But for anyone who even thinks that somehow I would taint my personal reputation on a column about a video game you clearly do not know me as a person.
Always remember that this is the Internet. Inflection, tone and intent is lost in what you write on it, and as my former boss reminded me so astutely: people will always read emails in their 'angry' voice, when perhaps no threat, ill or otherwise rage was intended in the writing. Remove yourself from that, be aware of it, and accept it. It'll happen - just don't take it personally, because you end up vindicating their rage.

Remember in Medieval times when a castle was besieged. The attacking army would send forth a messenger to deliver the terms of surrender. Said messenger usually came back without a head by way of response... In the bucket of a catapult.

It's a common pattern in history, and in this case - being the writer of an Opinion column (Trust me, love, I work in media - it's the most dangerous kind, and is truly eligible to carry the term "Flame Bait") you are the proverbial messenger, and you will frequently lose your head.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I enjoyed the column, it clearly stated anyone who prefers "pew pew" won't like the new episode.... and guess what, they don't.

While I personally prefer pew pew myself, it made a nice change of pace for me and having multiple choices / branching story lines made it more interesting for me (the reason I prefer pew pew in STO it I've already read all of the missions and don't want to read them again)

If all the missions in STO had choices in them like the new episode, I would go back and start all over again.

Do I think the column is tainted by Cryptic.. no
Did I enjoy reading it... yes
Can I understand why someone prefers ground combat to space... NO! (lol)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey79 View Post
I enjoyed the column, it clearly stated anyone who prefers "pew pew" won't like the new episode.... and guess what, they don't.

While I personally prefer pew pew myself, it made a nice change of pace for me and having multiple choices / branching story lines made it more interesting for me (the reason I prefer pew pew in STO it I've already read all of the missions and don't want to read them again)

If all the missions in STO had choices in them like the new episode, I would go back and start all over again.

Do I think the column is tainted by Cryptic.. no
Did I enjoy reading it... yes
Can I understand why someone prefers ground combat to space... NO! (lol)
LOL!

I know! I'm TOTALLY WEIRD that way! I admit it! I have ALWAYS loved ground more than space in this game. I avoid space missions if possible. Not kidding! I've known that my love of ground is very strange in comparison to a majority of the game's players and I really do try to preface that in my columns but admitting such when I opine on missions so the space-lovers will understand that my view will likely clash with theirs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
About the bundle ...



Not sure I'd call it a good deal for 1800 C-Points. I got the TOS bundle for a lot less.
I would call it a Deal.

Bridge set is 320 Not counting a new Interior, the X 2 uniforms are 440 each , Weapons are 240 and a Shuttle is 400 so we are looking at 1840.
That means the Duty Officers are FREE and the New Interior is Also ... and you get a 40 CP discount for the 1800 CP price tag.
Also, the Doff Pack is 240CP for 7 Doffs: 4 Common, 2 Uncommon, 1 Rare.
The Bundle only has 3 Doffs, but they are 2 Unique rares, 1 Unique Very rare that are claimable on every character account wide. To me, IMHO, would well exceed the 240CP price tag
but for the numbers, lets say 240.
The bundle "saves" you 280 CP, of which would otherwise cost 2140CP individually.



The Federation Starship Interior: The Original Series (no value)
Federation Bridge: The Original Series (320CP)
Access to the Federation Shuttlecraft Class F with included pet (400)
Black-and-white TOS-style Type 2 Phaser Variant that increases in effectiveness as you level! (120CP since 1 weapon not 2)
Federation Costume Pack: TOS Dress Uniform (440)
Federation Costume Pack: TOS Medical Uniform(440)
Federation Costume Pack: TOS Command Tunic (440)
A total individual value of 2160, saving you 560.

Is it as good of a deal as the TOS bundle? No
Does it save you $2.50 by bundling? Yes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd disagree for the following reasons:
  • This is the first STO mission to have truly branching objectives--not just optional ones.
  • Puzzles done in this series outclass anything in the Breen Series: more involved, incorporated artwork, etc.
  • "City Zone" of Bajor has more usefulness post-mission than Defera still does today (i.e. not a lone Ferengi selling stuff).
Not sure they're all that branching due to the replay-ability nature of them.
The puzzles seem pretty much on par with the breen puzzles to me. And if you eschew the puzzles for things like the soil sample objective, those are STO stock and trade.
The city zone has a lot of replay ability, so the third point I'll readily concede. But that doesn't change the fact that a lot of this is just rehashing the same type of content we've done before, just under a slight more scattered framework that will give you the chance to keep coming back to it over a longer stretch of time.

Again, I'm not knocking the mission as a bad mission. I think the series is off to a decent start. I just don't find any of it as the blogger described. There is so much in that mission that is comprised of the type of content that I've seen quite a few times before. That's not a bad thing. It's just I've seen and done this before.

As I said, Iliked the Breen story just fine. I like this one just fine. But having me try to fix an engineering console by clicking on it isn't groundbreaking in this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
I would call it a Deal.

Bridge set is 320 Not counting a new Interior, the X 2 uniforms are 440 each , Weapons are 240 and a Shuttle is 400 so we are looking at 1840.
That means the Duty Officers are FREE and the New Interior is Also ... and you get a 40 CP discount for the 1800 CP price tag.
Also, the Doff Pack is 240CP for 7 Doffs: 4 Common, 2 Uncommon, 1 Rare.
The Bundle only has 3 Doffs, but they are 2 Unique rares, 1 Unique Very rare that are claimable on every character account wide. To me, IMHO, would well exceed the 240CP price tag
but for the numbers, lets say 240.
The bundle "saves" you 280 CP, of which would otherwise cost 2140CP individually
Nah, I'm not convinced it's a deal. It's overpriced. As are many of its individual components.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Nah, I'm not convinced it's a deal. It's overpriced. As are many of its individual components.
Oh well. It's just opinion then.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Not sure they're all that branching due to the replay-ability nature of them.
The puzzles seem pretty much on par with the breen puzzles to me. And if you eschew the puzzles for things like the soil sample objective, those are STO stock and trade.
The city zone has a lot of replay ability, so the third point I'll readily concede. But that doesn't change the fact that a lot of this is just rehashing the same type of content we've done before, just under a slight more scattered framework that will give you the chance to keep coming back to it over a longer stretch of time.

Again, I'm not knocking the mission as a bad mission. I think the series is off to a decent start. I just don't find any of it as the blogger described. There is so much in that mission that is comprised of the type of content that I've seen quite a few times before. That's not a bad thing. It's just I've seen and done this before.

As I said, Iliked the Breen story just fine. I like this one just fine. But having me try to fix an engineering console by clicking on it isn't groundbreaking in this game.
I'd have to agree that the mission wasn't that great as a whole.

However, this is the level of depth I wish the Patrols had on a planet-by-planet basis.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11 AM.