Lt. Commander
# 101
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
No Dev response, does not equal no Dev interest.
Well, we have two ways of gauging Dev Interest; A Dev response, or the issue being addressed. For the most part, we don't see dev responses, and we don't see issues being addressed. What should we, as fans, and as paying customers, be doing? There's obviously issues that a lot of fans feel need attention, but aren't getting it. Our options are limited to the forums, or just quitting the game. And the forums are very, very hit-or-miss.

Quote:
I don't know about revamping old bridges, but I do know that a couple new ones are in the works. We're not done with interiors, it's just going to take time (ya ya, I know you've heard that before. . . but it's true)
A major problem with this is, simply, you're going to charge us for all these new interiors.

We already paid for the old ones. We generally had to buy them without being able to sample them first.

For example, you're charging us a lot of money at the moment for an 'accurate' Defiant interior...when a lot of us already bought a Defiant bridge pack, and didn't really get a decent Defiant bridge.

If you've got Galaxy or Intrepid interiors lined up....yeah, there's already Galaxy and Intrepid bridge packs that a lot of us bought that are, for lack of better words, utterly inadequate.

The more we get charged extra for things that should've been done right in the first place, the more there's going to be blowback from the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 102
02-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdanger View Post
I've said this for awhile, but interiors feel more like a efficiency apartment than a star ship. To me, we need access and functionality on our ships. I mean, this is the 25th century after all. Sure, we can see our bridge and engineering deck, which is fine and dandy, but wheres sickbay? Anyone found a transporter room recently? How about captains quarters or the mess, not to mention rec/10 fwd? heck, even a shuttlebay to see our delta flyers, runabouts, galileos or fighters? Nowhere to be found. This folks, IMHO, is pure,total laziness and sloppy work to boot. I know Cryptic/PW have quite a bit on their plate, but the OP makes a good point, a 12 yr old game that has better deck layouts and design than a current title..and that's just sad..

I think its time the devs partner up w/ the mod communities and start rolling out some better ship layouts. I want better options that actually measure up with proper layout. Wheres the Okudas when you need them?

In addition, its time we get some actual functionality out of these surroundings, If im on the bridge, I want control of my ship and the ability to set course and issue commands from there, instead of the "map view" we have currently..The same goes with my crew, I want to see them working after the ship is damaged, that's what the crew of a SF or KA vessel does, they patch her up until you fly into starbase..Heck, a place to even use a pattern buffer device similar to Voyager-Elite Force on ship and my person to off/on-load gear on my ship and vice-versa would be nice...

Exactly! which is something that the community could add with interior tools! Then the cryptic set teams can use all of that data for populating other sets and renovating ship interiors/starbases etc. Thereby progressing the cycle of development forward more quickly.
Want an LCARS library system? UGC!
Want Alert Statuses on the ship and Panicking Crew? UGC!
Want a working holodeck/training area? UGC!
Want new areas? UGC!
Emergency Forcefields? UGC!
Better Starship Interior Designs? UGC!
Better Missions? UGC!
More Dynamic Exploration? UGC!
Want random events mapped that could happen when you go shipboard like assignments, repairs, and boarding actions? UGC baby!
Want working replicators on your mess hall that give you food items off a menu? Maybe Not UGC but an easy do...

With all this data being leveraged the dev team can pick what it wants to grab and implement it to the main game from the foundry/interior toolset.

Meanwhile the art team can move towards actually creating the assets and set pieces for us to build with, test, and polish... then they use our builds in whatever they need at their discretion... then boom! it all cycles back to us as content and them as saved hours building sets for their missions and assets. They can take our prefabs, arrange them, and polish them for creating more content for us.
Lt. Commander
# 103
02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
When it comes right down to it, I'd rather the graphics folks concentrated on new missions and new ships, rather than interiors.
The "graphics folks" do not do missions. They do graphics.

Having said that, if the art team updates the ship interiors, and if the systems team develops methods o adding gameplay to those interiors, and if the mission guys have us boarding other ships as part of missions, everyone benefits.
Lt. Commander
# 104
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
The "graphics folks" do not do missions. They do graphics.

Having said that, if the art team updates the ship interiors, and if the systems team develops methods o adding gameplay to those interiors, and if the mission guys have us boarding other ships as part of missions, everyone benefits.
+1 Karma
Lt. Commander
# 105
02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Nagus, I'm sorry for generalizing. Obviously I do not believe you all think that way, but I have witnessed a fair number of posts recently that seemed to have that perspective. No, it's not every post, but it was a noticeable amount. More than I would consider 'usual.'

I would ask players (yes, in general) to also avoid generalizations.

All devs are Salary employees. I was not, at all trying to fish for props or admiration based on working long hours. I just wanted to ensure that people understand that the devs here (especially on STO) are dedicated, passionate people. They work their butts off because they love this stuff.

Kyuui, I sincerely appreciate your service, but I don't think military service, and a desk job are totally comparable.

Many, many players over they years have asked me why other devs don't post. Do you know what I hear all the time from other devs? "How can you deal with the forums the way they are? How can you constant wade into that poo-storm. It's a mess, everyone hates us all the time."

Whether fair or not, this is the perception that most devs have of the forums. And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think. Don't. Seriously, devs read the forums constantly. Not just me. Not just Geko or Logan. Many devs read the forums, ALL THE TIME. They just don't wan to open their mouths (er. . . fingers?) because of the inevitable torrent of seeming hate that gets directed their way. I know that most of it isn't hate, it's just passion for a game and for an IP that we all love.

But on the internet, your inflection does not come through. Your witty sarcasm comes off as elitist snobbery. And often what may be intended as constructive criticism on one end, ends up looking like hate fueled rage by time it reaches the other. This is why it is VITAL to be polite, respectful, and conscious of how your words are going to come across on the other end. I screw it up CONSTANTLY, and I apologize for miscommunications regularly. It's an inevitability. It will happen, but keeping all of that in mind while you post, and remembering that the dev that screwed up whatever you're ****ed off about, is a real, genuine human being on the other end of the tube, is absolutely necessary for your post to come across well, and relay the information you intend to, not the passionate rant we often perceive.

Well... I for one..., Lover You All..

Smooch, Smooch.. Kissey, Kissey.. Huggles...

Now git yer arses back to work and give us what we want!

:p

>snicker<
Lt. Commander
# 106
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Something I have read about off and on since before the game was launched was the concept of fighting off enemy boarding parties. It's problematic, as I understand it, because it would require alteration of the interiors. Since the game came out, there has been a steady stream of complaints about ship interior size.

I propose that now would be a good time to revamp the size of the interiors to be more in line with the scale of the TOS interiors, while at the same time appending boarding party spawn points.

Heres how it needs to go down:

Regardless of the configuration we choose for our interiors, they all have the same rooms: Bridge, Ready Room, Sick Bay, Main Engineering, Transporter Room. Engineering Lab, Captain's Quarters, Lounge, etc. What differs is how many cooridor segments there are between each. You put enemy spawn points inside each of these rooms, and the coridor segments immediately outside them. The spawn points would be associated with those room elements and specific corridor elements and so would be shared across all players.

Boarding scenarios would have enemy squads spawmed in random locations, so no two interior encounters in a row would be identical. Invaders objectives would also be random. Sometimes it might be that they just want to kill the crew. Other times they may be planning to take the ship. Maybe they are raiding for medical supplies. Random objectives and random starting points means diverse gameplay.

Also, while Interiors are being redesigned, the option to finally customize the costumes of the NPCs that wander around needs to go in as part of the SHIP customization process.

Also... All shipboard DOFF missions need to be associated with interactions with the BOffs we have designated as Department Heads. These Department Heads should spawn in logical locations. The Chief Medical Officer should be sitting behind the desk in sick bay. The Chief Engineer should be at a console in Main Engineering. That sort of thing. when we talk to a Department head, it would filter only available DOff missions for that department. All reward payouts would receive a 10% bonus when the assignments are made through interacting with the Department heads. That way there is an actual incentive to use the interiors of the ship.

In addition to that, special daily Tactical, Engineering and Science DOff missions would be available by interacting with apropriate consoles throughout the ship, based on which division our character is.

So what I am proposing is a revamp to the interior systems as a whole. Not just fixing the scaling, but also adding functionality that hooks into multiple gameplay mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 107 This Is Good
02-20-2012, 09:52 PM
See this is what i wanted, communication, spreading ideas, heck i want mor devs to post as well. WE ALL need to cooperate as a whole, to talk to on another, not constantly but every now and then. to clear up misinterpretations and solve problems. WE are a community and you Devs are a part of that community, so dont be afraid to speak up, you might **** us off but its better then not talking to us at all
Lt. Commander
# 108
02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
When it comes right down to it, I'd rather the graphics folks concentrated on new missions and new ships, rather than interiors.
But you are saying that new missions can't happen on new ship interiors. By adding new ship interiors they could open a floodgate of UGC plus, use the material for other quests. Let you beam aboard an intrepid class and take it back fighting through the decks.
Lt. Commander
# 109
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Well, to get back on topic...

I can't exactly place when it was said by a Dev (a podcast interview?), but I kind of remember that one plan that was possible after having completed the Defiant/Belfast interior was to go and create an interior makeover for the Odyssey-class which would have a similar scope, be entirely original and push ship interiors into the 25th-century, and be at the same time the makeover of the kind-of-giant-and-lackluster default ship interiors we presently have.

To me, that appealed greatly. Having a bridge similar to the Perpetual artwork that's been shown around, with a tastefully done interior set that would show off what Cryptic's amazing environment artists have learned from previous endeavor would be pretty epic as an "Odyssey bundle". I was actually nursing the hope that we'd have that along with the introduction of the Enteprise-F (new ship interior sets = justification to make new assets). To me, that'd be pretty epic.
Lt. Commander
# 110
02-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
I would ask players (yes, in general) to also avoid generalizations.

I just wanted to ensure that people understand that the devs here (especially on STO) are dedicated, passionate people. They work their butts off because they love this stuff.
I too am on a salary, I too work my arse off. I've never nor would I ever question the passion of you or the team I would say however certain things make us wonder about the dedication some times. No not always, more oft than not we wouldn't but when we see bugs come back over and over, seriously bad QA and other things it can only cause us to wonder.

Quote:

Many, many players over they years have asked me why other devs don't post. Do you know what I hear all the time from other devs? "How can you deal with the forums the way they are? How can you constant wade into that poo-storm. It's a mess, everyone hates us all the time."
at this point I'm going to refer you to your own thought. Don't Generalize.
Can we be a rowdy crowd oh no doubt, can we all be pleased? hardly, and most of us who are "aware" if you will know this and accept it.

Generalization by either side is bad. Period.

Quote:
This is why it is VITAL to be polite, respectful, and conscious of how your words are going to come across on the other end. I screw it up CONSTANTLY, and I apologize for miscommunications regularly.
For what it is worth Tumer, you of all the Devs I've run into across multiple MMO's seem to be the most laid back and approachable, why I dunno, maybe its because you do screw up and admit it. showing me at least you realize you aren't perfect and can fubar on occasion.
Quote:
... and remembering that the dev that screwed up whatever you're ****ed off about, is a real, genuine human being on the other end of the tube.
Remembering that the folks who are on this side of the screen are human as well, We've been treated less than on occasion by people and that, will not help either side in any fashion.

Quote:
is absolutely necessary for your post to come across well, and relay the information you intend to, not the passionate rant we often perceive.

The only thing i can say is not all of us can disconnect the passion sometimes, its not a bad thing, but it doesn't help.

PS yeah you are right your job doesn't compare to mine, and I wasn't really comparing it, what I was showing you is that your extraordinary effort, to some, is a normal day. Doesn't devalue your effort one second, nor was it intended, but in comparison, you're hard day is nothing compared to mine.

anyhow, I hope that you see what I'm saying now, and understand I know you guys are passionate, sometimes however that dedication can be questioned simply due to some seriously bad things happening.

Have a good night if you are still up,