Lt. Commander
# 111
02-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
But on the internet, your inflection does not come through. Your witty sarcasm comes off as elitist snobbery. And often what may be intended as constructive criticism on one end, ends up looking like hate fueled rage by time it reaches the other. This is why it is VITAL to be polite, respectful, and conscious of how your words are going to come across on the other end. I screw it up CONSTANTLY, and I apologize for miscommunications regularly. It's an inevitability. It will happen, but keeping all of that in mind while you post, and remembering that the dev that screwed up whatever you're ****ed off about, is a real, genuine human being on the other end of the tube, is absolutely necessary for your post to come across well, and relay the information you intend to, not the passionate rant we often perceive.

No Dev response, does not equal no Dev interest.
I am also a software developer and we also have an active forum where several posters are extremely passionate over the software, analyze every single version of it that is out there. Sometimes, I feel compelled to read the forums and I also consider that it would be really useful if I could just write something there. But - I shy away from it, because I don't want those posters to latch onto me and expect me to post regularly or berate me for stuff we build. Whether it's a bug or just a feature that doesn't work like they want it to. I'd rather let the community manager handle these things. If any questions come up, she can come to me or my colleagues and ask and we will gladly give a reply that's as precise and clear as we can make it (without handing out the source code and say "see for yourself " )
Lt. Commander
# 112
02-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
I don't know about revamping old bridges, but I do know that a couple new ones are in the works. We're not done with interiors, it's just going to take time (ya ya, I know you've heard that before. . . but it's true)
Any chances these new Bridges will have holo-displays like from the Enterprise bridge from the Star Trek Countdown comics. It kind of makes sense now that holo-emmitters are standard on all decks of Starfleet vessels now.
Lt. Commander
# 113
02-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundaneRaptor View Post
Exactly! which is something that the community could add with interior tools! Then the cryptic set teams can use all of that data for populating other sets and renovating ship interiors/starbases etc. Thereby progressing the cycle of development forward more quickly.
Want an LCARS library system? UGC!
Want Alert Statuses on the ship and Panicking Crew? UGC!
Want a working holodeck/training area? UGC!
Want new areas? UGC!
Emergency Forcefields? UGC!
Better Starship Interior Designs? UGC!
Better Missions? UGC!
More Dynamic Exploration? UGC!
Want random events mapped that could happen when you go shipboard like assignments, repairs, and boarding actions? UGC baby!
Want working replicators on your mess hall that give you food items off a menu? Maybe Not UGC but an easy do...

With all this data being leveraged the dev team can pick what it wants to grab and implement it to the main game from the foundry/interior toolset.

Meanwhile the art team can move towards actually creating the assets and set pieces for us to build with, test, and polish... then they use our builds in whatever they need at their discretion... then boom! it all cycles back to us as content and them as saved hours building sets for their missions and assets. They can take our prefabs, arrange them, and polish them for creating more content for us.
Fun to note that you forget about the implementation task of such things in to the main game... it is called programming
And then adding player created content to a paying game could be a lawyer headache
Lt. Commander
# 114
02-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeidal View Post
Fun to note that you forget about the implementation task of such things in to the main game... it is called programming
And then adding player created content to a paying game could be a lawyer headache
hmm kinda like the Foundry stuff we have right? The stuff thats in game, now? Including the player generated content, in the game, now?
Lt. Commander
# 115
02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdanger View Post
I've said this for awhile, but interiors feel more like a efficiency apartment than a star ship. To me, we need access and functionality on our ships. I mean, this is the 25th century after all. Sure, we can see our bridge and engineering deck, which is fine and dandy, but wheres sickbay? Anyone found a transporter room recently? How about captains quarters or the mess, not to mention rec/10 fwd? heck, even a shuttlebay to see our delta flyers, runabouts, galileos or fighters? Nowhere to be found. This folks, IMHO, is pure,total laziness and sloppy work to boot. I know Cryptic/PW have quite a bit on their plate, but the OP makes a good point, a 12 yr old game that has better deck layouts and design than a current title..and that's just sad..
*pointing to the highlighted part* Eh? What are you talking about; never used the turbolift in your bridge? Also, when you found the mess hall you may probably agree that its your ships version of 10fwd.
Lt. Commander
# 116
02-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
I don't know about revamping old bridges, but I do know that a couple new ones are in the works. We're not done with interiors, it's just going to take time (ya ya, I know you've heard that before. . . but it's true)
You should, when you get some downtime, peep the old engineering reports threads. You'll get an expanded view of what the players were asking for over here, and what they were teased with from DStahl during those days when communication was a lot less vicious.

Also when you say all the devs, not just Geko, Logan, Heretic and you "read the forums" ... that list is still most of the team? amirite? You left out who? Gozer? DStahl? A couple others?

ZING!

(Those last two bits are there to convey the wittiness, so you don't think this fueled rage).
Lt. Commander
# 117
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
You should, when you get some downtime, peep the old engineering reports threads. You'll get an expanded view of what the players were asking for over here, and what they were teased with from DStahl during those days when communication was a lot less vicious.

Also when you say all the devs, not just Geko, Logan, Heretic and you "read the forums" ... that list is still most of the team? amirite? You left out who? Gozer? DStahl? A couple others?

ZING!

(Those last two bits are there to convey the wittiness, so you don't think this fueled rage).
I miss those days.

I think that we will all find things get better when the community is on board with the game's development and all are constantly moving forward together. We really are an understanding lot, but we need to know where the ship is headed and roughly how fast. Yes things happen, but that should be the exception, rather than the rule.

Everything released in the game should be a step forwards. When things are released that are a step backwards (or sometimes even just sideways), people begin to worry.
Lt. Commander
# 118
02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
If players create cool bridges for example then Cryptic can't charge for them and it could hurt future sails why would you buy a new Defiant bridge if the free player made one is ten times better? Same with just about every piece of content thats is sold in the cryptic store.
Lt. Commander
# 119
02-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjames3653
If players create cool bridges for example then Cryptic can't charge for them and it could hurt future sails why would you buy a new Defiant bridge if the free player made one is ten times better? Same with just about every piece of content thats is sold in the cryptic store.
I highly doubt we will get very powerful creation tools when we get code merged with Neverwinter... errr... Season 6. At best, I suspect we will get prefab rooms and corridor sections. There is some wisdom to this, as skinning an interior would be way beyond the scope of most UGC needs.

I suspect that free player generated content will never match what the developers could potentially release. That being said, it may frequently match what they do release (which may be below the peak potential).
Lt. Commander
# 120
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundaneRaptor View Post
I wonder if maybe STO should now follow a model of creation that is based almost like an open source project. Kind of like what occurred by accident with the Elite Force community.
If I recall correctly there is an EULA in the foundry that mentions something about all creations in the system being considered property of Cryptic, basically as a body of works.

Perhaps Cryptic should use that to our mutual advantage and focus on creating some interior tools, now that it's gone free to play, in order for the STO modding community that is made up of content creators active since the days of Armada, EF, and Bridge Commander to work on creating things for their foundry projects.

Then, the epic looking sets that are created for those projects can be taken by the artists at Cryptic and retooled/modified for use/renovation/creation of the game in general.
Saving Cryptic development time, allowing the environment artists more time for the art asset creation (weapons, ships, characters, etc...), game episodes, and exterior sets while then giving them a veritable buffet of set pieces to take, paste, and arrange for renovating old areas and creating new.

Basically turning STO in to sort of an Open Source MMO...
This could be a win-win, resolve a bunch of issues, and allow the content creators both in studio and out in the community even more freedom to build upon the game.

What do you guys say to that idea?
This is what I was referring to with that second post you quoted and responded to guys, just so you have the whole thing before you address what I was talking about.
Cryptic would build the base tool and we would use it to create for our projects within what the system allows, they then can take those creations/modifications/populations and use them for improving the rest of the game.
As for the legal, you agreed to a TOS stating that all foundry content is their property; they might as well put it to use for themselves and us if they're going to retain the rights to do so anyway. *shrugs*