Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I used to be a very productive member of an RTS game modding community until such things happened to me and I said, no longer. That was in 2003.

Between then and now I rarely dared open my mouth in gaming communities until STO came along and I found the forums were somewhat comfortable.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I remember during headstart with most of the initial playerbase how near-utopian the community was. Everyone was kind, and wanted to help eachother, everyone trading items to eachother for no cost, just for the sake of being helpful....then after the first month or so it started to turn into today's community...

Still a nice amount of good players out there...but wow...did most of our community, an now with the addition of f2p, go down hill.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Hmmm.. maybe it's just different 'sections' of the community. Most of the new players I meet daily are very nice.

Well... maybe because they are new so they are nice xD
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I remember during headstart with most of the initial playerbase how near-utopian the community was. Everyone was kind, and wanted to help eachother, everyone trading items to eachother for no cost, just for the sake of being helpful....then after the first month or so it started to turn into today's community...

Still a nice amount of good players out there...but wow...did most of our community, an now with the addition of f2p, go down hill.
I've mainly seen drive-by trolls. Even the threadnaughts end up being the same three or four people going in circles. I wouldn't say it is community-wide.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
There's a lot of players who were in the beta and around at launch that no longer play the game. Or no longer have access to the forums for whatever reason.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't think it's just gamers.
There is a very pertinent Penny Arcade comic that I won't link to due to strong language.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I don't think it's just gamers.
There is a very pertinent Penny Arcade comic that I won't link to due to strong language.
It is not just gamers. It is a social issue as a whole.

Consider how folks would of responded say 10 years ago, and then go back 10 years into that. Society itself is doing the "teaching" of what is acceptable. Its that very fabric that molds folks into the behaviors they exhibit.

I can show you many instances of this in other products.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2012, 11:19 AM
It was hard to find facts in that story. Not saying that such behavior is to be allowed to go unpunished. It should certainly be dealt with in no uncertain terms. But the author uses some broad brush strokes to paint the gaming community as a whole and makes arguments that really have outlived their usefulness or are not pertinent to the issue of the relationship between gamers, developers, and the games themselves.

Here's a fact from the article.

"This week, a small subset of the gaming community"

KK thanks for the info. We don't even have any input from Jennifer. Just some stuff Laura makes up for her. So thanks for tossing some gasoline on the fire. Very helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Just to buck the trend and go off on a tangent...

Speaking of skippable cutscenes, how come Cryptic has forgotten to do that ever since the first Featured Episode series that has them? And hasn't fixed the episodes they've released without them?

It's not so much that I don't care about the story, but since we're funneled into replaying them on all our characters in a short period of time to get that "bonus" reward at the end....lengthy, inskippable cutscenes are kind of a downer.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:

Sorry, I've been around since 2 weeks after the original 2009 closed beta launched, through open beta, etc - and sorry, the forum comminity was just as volitile as it us today (Hell, more than one person was taking shots at Kestrel's writing ability; calling for her firing, etc - and again, this was in 2009 closed beta.)

Overall, though the STO ciommunity has been overall more literate overall, and in general FAR less combative then most other MMO communities. (Yes, there are alwats exceptions and a few who go off th deep end at the reading of something they don't like/agree with; but that's less common here.

Still, after some of the threads and doomsayer comments in 2009 closed bet and STO headstart, I myself wouldn't classify it as 'near-utopian' by any stretch. YMMV.