Lt. Commander
My game has been crashing and having the monitor lose signal during gameplay. The only way to make it stop is to manually turn off the computer. I have been using the same computer since the launch of the game without problem until may of this year.

Graphics card is Nvidia geforce 280
Processor amd athlon x2
I run under windows XP (home edition)

I have tried lowering my settings, updating the drivers, and putting the computer to an older point in time (a time that the game did run without problem)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Have you tried cleaning the dust out of the cooling fans for your graphics card and motherboard?

Really sounds like you are overheating something chronic.

(Note: tins of compressed air work best for getting into heatsinks without damaging anything)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
i have been having the same problem, and the dust has been cleaned out of my computer. It only does it with Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hunter
My game has been crashing and having the monitor lose signal during gameplay. The only way to make it stop is to manually turn off the computer. I have been using the same computer since the launch of the game without problem until may of this year.

Graphics card is Nvidia geforce 280
Processor amd athlon x2
I run under windows XP (home edition)

I have tried lowering my settings, updating the drivers, and putting the computer to an older point in time (a time that the game did run without problem)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Right before this occurs, are you experiencing any kind of graphical issue, such as pixelation, strange black "strings" appearing on your display, other strange unaccounted for graphical anomalies? What you describe sounds just like a bad card and or a bad driver. I'd naturally update my driver from the nvidia.com, NOT by using the Winblows update utility under the Device Manager.

If neither of those work, I'd have to lean toward the need for a new vid card.