Lt. Commander
Sorry for the noob question, but I recently started playing this game again after a long absence.

It used to be a quest-giver would give you a patrol mission to go to a series of planets. Now the quest-giver does not give you a multi-planetary patrol mission, but you can still visit each planet individually. This is obnoxious because each planet requires a separate hail to the Starfleet quest givers.

Did I screw up a setting somewhere? Or did they change the behavior of the patrol missions? I find the new way obnoxious. Not only do I have a separate hail to Starfleet after each individual planet, but sometimes it's not obvious which planets I've been to before or not.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
Sorry for the noob question, but I recently started playing this game again after a long absence.

It used to be a quest-giver would give you a patrol mission to go to a series of planets. Now the quest-giver does not give you a multi-planetary patrol mission, but you can still visit each planet individually. This is obnoxious because each planet requires a separate hail to the Starfleet quest givers.

Did I screw up a setting somewhere? Or did they change the behavior of the patrol missions? I find the new way obnoxious. Not only do I have a separate hail to Starfleet after each individual planet, but sometimes it's not obvious which planets I've been to before or not.
They actually tried to now make Patrol missionsactual 'patrols' in that:

- they are all single 'one offs' (IE no longer do you do 3 systems and then get a completion reward)

- If a Star System has one attached to it, you'll see the option to start it as soon as you fly in range of the Star System.

- Lastly, it seems they occassionally and randomly will pop up in the 'Available Missions' tab, but again, it's random ands rare (saw this on a new Tac alt I was leveling.)

So, in the end, now you get them by visiting the Star System they are associated with as you fly through the galaxy (and it actually gives an incentive TO fly around the known Galaxy areas if yyou want a quick mission.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
They actually tried to now make Patrol missionsactual 'patrols' in that:

- they are all single 'one offs' (IE no longer do you do 3 systems and then get a completion reward)

- If a Star System has one attached to it, you'll see the option to start it as soon as you fly in range of the Star System.

- Lastly, it seems they occassionally and randomly will pop up in the 'Available Missions' tab, but again, it's random ands rare (saw this on a new Tac alt I was leveling.)

So, in the end, now you get them by visiting the Star System they are associated with as you fly through the galaxy (and it actually gives an incentive TO fly around the known Galaxy areas if yyou want a quick mission.)
They used to have solid rewards attached to them though, like standard story missions. Now they just seem to reward skill points making them a poor option.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
The game I knew, is gone.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I like the old way better.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah it took me forever and a day to figure this out. Then I talked to Sulu and he gave me the lowdown. You just go there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
They used to have solid rewards attached to them though, like standard story missions. Now they just seem to reward skill points making them a poor option.
Really? I find them a great way for some quick leveling if you're on the edge of hitting a new rank. A lot faster than the exploration missions. If they added some dilithium to the rewards there'd be no reason not to do them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370
Really? I find them a great way for some quick leveling if you're on the edge of hitting a new rank.
Which is kind of pointless when XP falls from the sky in this game, where between DOffs and high rewards for story missions you're levelling just about every other story mission or faster.

You do these missions and you level even quicker than that, and you get nothing for it except experience to boot you up further. The end result? You out levelling your gear, especially ground gear where you can't rely on the fact that when you rank you get somewhat passable gear thanks to your shiny new ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370
If they added some dilithium to the rewards there'd be no reason not to do them.
Who's talking about Dilithium? These used to have actual rewards attached to them. Items, often fairly good ones.

Considering the gating on Dilithium and the speed of levelling items is actually what we need, and it's precisely what these no longer offer. No items. No Dilithium. No EC. Nothing to help us gear up for the levels we're attaining at breakneck speed. Just more XP that we already get too much of too fast.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2012, 11:28 PM
I also think it was a mistake to take them out of the mission log. A lot of people will not know about them and some of them are actually quite fun. I had no issue with the way they were setup before.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Which is kind of pointless when XP falls from the sky in this game, where between DOffs and high rewards for story missions you're levelling just about every other story mission or faster.

You do these missions and you level even quicker than that, and you get nothing for it except experience to boot you up further. The end result? You out levelling your gear, especially ground gear where you can't rely on the fact that when you rank you get somewhat passable gear thanks to your shiny new ship.

Who's talking about Dilithium? These used to have actual rewards attached to them. Items, often fairly good ones.

Considering the gating on Dilithium and the speed of levelling items is actually what we need, and it's precisely what these no longer offer. No items. No Dilithium. No EC. Nothing to help us gear up for the levels we're attaining at breakneck speed. Just more XP that we already get too much of too fast.
I figured this out after starting this thread. I posted it before doing very many duty officer missions while leveling an alt. Honestly, they need to tone down the leveling rate. As it stands, there is no reason to do patrol missions once you get your duty officers, which is a shame because some of them are a lot of fun.

Worse, there's now little reason to do those diplomatic missions, and some of them are really great!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
(Edit: Posted in the wrong thread. Sorry.)