Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I think it would be kinda cool to work out a deal with Diamond or Hasbro (who do Trek toys) to have prefab toys based on STO if the demand is there.

For example, maybe a B01 Male and B01 Female action figure that come with multiple heads that snap on and off.

I could see this really flying if they made it, say, a Countdown Data action figure but you could swap out the heads and hands for all kinds of custom variants. Maybe have a repaint in science colors that comes with different heads and hands. In terms of the toys, they could all be billed as post-Nemesis versions of the TNG characters (Hasbro and Diamond have those likenesses) but come with spare heads and hands representing STO species.

Do the same with Klingons, who come with their own species heads. And TOS crewmen.

And the same with ships, which would have snap on interchangable parts.

These would not be 3D printer models like Figureprints but would be sculpted toys made by CBS licensees in cooperation with Cryptic, maybe with promotional game codes attached.

I think they'd really sell if the toy licensees could headline each one with a TNG or TOS character, some in STO uniforms, that has interchangable parts that allow for, say, putting Deferi parts on your Data figure you make it a different character. Diamond in particular used to do this with its Buffy figures quite a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
the cheaper and easier alternative is to go for the paper craft alternative, most 3d models can already be converted to paper craft (look it up there are some really impressive models)

and all it takes is some really good paper and a decent colour printer. and as most startrek hull types are white (with only a few dark hulls) then you could easily print these off.

admitingly i did attempt to build a paper craft miranda and it went slightly wrong all i can say is use good glue

and cryptic can supply them as pdf everyone wins
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
We looked into it for Champs. But if I remember right, it was just too expensive to set up. (both money, and time to set up all the models properly)
Oh hey, it's this topic again.

Folks, unless something's changed (ie: Cryptic getting into contact with Polar Lights/ERTL who have the Trek model license from CBS), then there's not going to be any Trek models from the show.

And the reason for that is...

Because the Pewter die-casts they've used for other games (I think Champs was mentioned) won't work for Trek Ships because the various fiddly bits (like nacelle pylons) are too thin to support the weight of the larger bits (like nacelles) at the grade of pewter that Cryptic could afford to use.

While using a higher grade pewter might work, it would be prohibitively expensive to do so.

I have yet to determine if they've actually talked to CBS and Polar Lights/ERTL/AMT, the latter of which holds the Trek model license currently and releases canon Trek models (1:250 scale, IIRC).

Getting Polar Lights to produce the models would, I think, really just be a licensing issue if making money isn't a concern- but I definitely think it's worth talking to Polar Lights and seeing what can be done with resin/plastic kit models (not die-cast pewter stuff).

As a scifi modeler I'd love to add the STO models to my collection. But getting that done will require Cryptic to talk to Polar Lights/CBS, and stop using the 'we can't do die-cast pewter models' thing, since we know that die-cast pewter models are unworkable, but plastic/resin models are totally workable and even cost effective, since Polar Lights is a real business that makes money off of them and all *cough*
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
For the record. I would shell out $20+ for a two pack of Micro Machines-sized STO ship models, specifically of the Odyssey and bortaS.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know a ballpark figure of what something of that scale would cost to produce? I know it's a longshot question, but this is the internet, for all I know one of you is in the business of small plastic models... I ask because it seems to me something smaller like this might be much more viable to produce, especially if they played the exclusivity card and made them a bit on the expensive side
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I still have a Galaxy Class model from when I was a kid. Its pretty big, well done and even has sound effects. Like Red Alert and locking phasers. unfortunately I lost the stand in a move.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2012, 11:09 PM
If models are prohibitively expensive, then what about custom shirts or mouse pads? You could take all of the base (i.e. non-kitbashed) ship models, give players the ability to add a custom name and registry, and then print that on a shirt or some other piece of swag. I, for one, would love to be able to wear a shirt with my Luna class USS Rheticus.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Instead of doing it for all possible variants, why not do it for the Cryptic skins? I'd love a Venture-X on my desk even though I fly the Excelsior.
this is probably the best idea, cryptic will have money coming in, we will have realistic looking ships. Defiantly support this. As long the price is not to high.

Star trek is also about the ships looking good and we need/want this.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
If models are prohibitively expensive, then what about custom shirts or mouse pads? You could take all of the base (i.e. non-kitbashed) ship models, give players the ability to add a custom name and registry, and then print that on a shirt or some other piece of swag. I, for one, would love to be able to wear a shirt with my Luna class USS Rheticus.
Well, there's a company that already does this with other Star Trek stuff.
I hope this is not considered advertising but thse guys

http://shop.cafepress.de/startrektv

seem to have wide variety of products in this category (including SFB stuff).
So perhaps they could be of some help in that regard.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2012, 04:03 AM
If you want models there are Star Trek models that are make by Round Two. They have alot of different ships and are available at all Hobby shops.
If you can't find them there you can find them on Ebay. You may also want to look at a site called Starship Modeler they have a whole bunch of different Star trek models and a forum to discuss making and building all different models.

If this violates anything please just remove it but I just wanted to let everyone know that there are options for getting models of the ships out there ...

Thanks!