Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Star Trek could make a awesome MMO. It's just they tried to make Star Trek fit their engine and make it as fast as possible. To sell digital items in the c-store, with a subscription model to cash in, big time. With no real thought about what Star Trek fans would want. Just trying to make a generic MMO out of the Star Trek IP.

They drove a square peg through a round hole. Star Trek deserved so much more than what they did.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert View Post
They drove a square peg through a round hole. Star Trek deserved so much more than what they did.
I agree. However, does this mean their engine cannot grow? If anything, Cryptic has proven that they can adapt their tech and grow it to include things it did not originally have.

I don't think a sandbox game style would appeal to me for STO, but STO's gameplay concepts should be broadened and grown and most importantly blended together. Exploration for example always felt disjointed and that took away a lot of the fun that should exist in an exploration style content. I think Cryptic needs to rethink things and now is the time because it seems like the F2P business model is very strong with this one!

It's time to once again think about the game in terms of what do players want, not just what PWE/Cryptic wants. And I for one say, "I want a streamlined experience!"
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
It's time to once again think about the game in terms of what do players want, not just what PWE/Cryptic wants. And I for one say, "I want a streamlined experience!"
I no longer think the game is about what players want. I think that the game is about what F2P wants, that's just money. I never thought Cryptic was able to give players what they wanted, so far. That's why so many left and the had to change the subscription model.

It's just gimmicks from here on out, I'm afraid. I never bothered with F2P games because they are normally poor quality and want to much cash. They're basically all stick and no carrot.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
It would be great if we could at least equal a tv season in episodes per year (22 to 26). That would be 5 FE basically. A monumental feat I will grant you, but possibly not impossible. And in fact, it doesnt have to be all FE's.

You could easily put together a mission that is entirely stand alone. Most Star Trek episodes themselves didn't build on earlier episodes for the most part, or require a build up, only the big season ratings ones.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert View Post
It's just gimmicks from here on out, I'm afraid. I never bothered with F2P games because they are normally poor quality and want to much cash. They're basically all stick and no carrot.
See, I'm the kind of guy that was entertained by City of Heroes and Villains because of the games variety in power-sets and classes. Arguably many powers were simply doing the same things as other powers from other sets, but with different animations and sound effects. I expect at least the same amount of entertainment from any Cryptic game but STO doesn't deliver on it like CoH/V and CO do.

I expect Cryptic to know that if we're to repeatedly grind through the same gameplay and the content itself would be just dialog boxes after dialog boxes, the gameplay itself must be entertaining so that people stay in the game long enough to be compelled to invest their money into the whole F2P scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
It would be great if we could at least equal a tv season in episodes per year (22 to 26). That would be 5 FE basically. A monumental feat I will grant you, but possibly not impossible. And in fact, it doesnt have to be all FE's.

You could easily put together a mission that is entirely stand alone. Most Star Trek episodes themselves didn't build on earlier episodes for the most part, or require a build up, only the big season ratings ones.
I don't think it's a well-kept secret that Cryptics' content is usually delivered in the form of sterile cut-scenes, and multiple dialog boxes. It therefore stands to reason that the gameplay underneath it all should be addictive and currently (and in the past) the game feels too disjointed for me to stay "addicted" past two max-level Engineer (in an Odyssey) and Scientist (in a Science Vessel Retrofit). I want more reasons to come back and do so more often, and I don't want to have to have to force myself to do so!

In CoH/V I kept going back simply to see what my Superhero could do... which enemies would he/she fight, and how? I don't get the same hook with STO, perhaps because the entire experience feels very isolated and disjointed as a whole.