Lt. Commander
# 201
02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
So here's is a twist (I think) to this story. Back in 1987, a Supernova was deteced coming from the Large Magellinic Cloud. However the Neutrinos from that event were detected 3 hours before the visible light hit. Considering the number of light years crossed by both the light at the Neutrinos, I'd love to hear why there's that discrepancy.
Lt. Commander
# 202
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
So here's is a twist (I think) to this story. Back in 1987, a Supernova was deteced coming from the Large Magellinic Cloud. However the Neutrinos from that event were detected 3 hours before the visible light hit. Considering the number of light years crossed by both the light at the Neutrinos, I'd love to hear why there's that discrepancy.
faulty connection in the universe?

in fairness God did make it in 7 days. must have been a rush job.
Lt. Commander
# 203
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Light slows down when it passes through things not a vacuum. All it would take would be one big nebula between us and that star. The light took 168,000 years to get here, that doesn't seem unreasonable. Neutrinos, on the other hand, pass through planets without interacting in any way just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 204
02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Light slows down when it passes through things not a vacuum. All it would take would be one big nebula between us and that star. The light took 168,000 years to get here, that doesn't seem unreasonable. Neutrinos, on the other hand, pass through planets without interacting in any way just fine.
LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!!

Wait.. no, that actually makes some sense. Works for me till I hear something better :p
Lt. Commander
# 205
02-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo View Post
in fairness God did make it in 7 days. must have been a rush job.
I think the Universe, like MMO's, is a work in progress. :p
Lt. Commander
# 206
02-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
I would've won that bet....

They probably should've kept the whole thing quiet while they sorted it out, or at least as quiet as scientists can keep anything. Good luck convincing the Truthers now that this isn't just a coverup to lull us all into a false sense of security, while the UN sets off to build an interstellar rocketship under Switzerland with their nazi gold and derivatives scam money, to return their last surviving Dodo overlords to their secret base orbiting Nemesis.
But, how can they believe the U.N. is building a spaceship when the NASA Moon landings were all faked at Area 51 becauase they know for certain man cannot survive past teh Van Allen radiation belt?
Lt. Commander
# 207
02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
if this is confirmed. Ftl in normal space may be possible.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM3UU20110922
Back to the original post... At appears that Einstein is still correct...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46495869...ience-science/