Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
There is an excellent post, stickied to the top of the Federation Shipyards section, that displays exactly how the ships in the game are scaled.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=219383

Given unlimited resources, and complete control of STO, I'd like to see the shuttles shrunk some with an optional UI element to highlight them. The UI element might function like the shield ring and could help us to distinguish where PC and NPC small craft are.

In reality, this would not be playable for many players as I am discovering while trying to teach my gf how to play STo. She is an experienced video gamer, but lacks the spacial understanding (and easily gets sea sick) required to navigate in space. Decreasing small craft size would only make things worse for many players.
Cool, ya this is what I think I've seen before and it's well done. Site doesn't come up anymore so not sure if it is still maintained.

I was just wondering if they could adjust sizes relative to each other. Agreed making anything smaller is a bad idea, just thinking we could see them all get bigger relative to shuttles.

No biggie overall just an observation.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
If they got much bigger Earth would look like a moon and the moon would look like a pebble. The map restrictions only allow maps of a certain size and blowing up other objects to make them better in relation to ships would reveal resolution flaws and map crowding. Certain objects were never meant to be seen larger, basically.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
If they got much bigger Earth would look like a moon and the moon would look like a pebble. The map restrictions only allow maps of a certain size and blowing up other objects to make them better in relation to ships would reveal resolution flaws and map crowding. Certain objects were never meant to be seen larger, basically.
Ok well live to win. We'll keep it the way it is all kosher.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
I think shuttles (like the runabout) are intentionally out of scale. The idea is if they were to scale they'd be to small to see (and target). So all shuttles are made much larger than they should be.

Most of the other ships are supposed to be to scale with one another. To within the limits of determining scale when the source material is as inconstant about it as Star Trek.
Even with the current sizes of the shuttles. The Class -F and Type 10 shuttles are nearly too small. Want to know that my Type 10 shuttle looks like at extreme camera distance. Goto Sector Space take a screenshot. My shuttle is that that do near the center of the picture. Or in other words, Type 10 Shuttle doesn't exist. I have screenshots of it as proof.