Lt. Commander
How does this look for a new Science Lt Cmd flying the Science Vessel Refit?

Right now I'm only doing PvE.

I haven't flown any missions yet, planning to later today after work and when I have time to finish getting this setup:

Lt Science: Hazard Emitters I, Tyken's Rift I
Lt Science: Tachyon Beam I, Scrable Sensors I
Ensign Tactical: Torpedo Spread I (maxed this out, I discovered that love this skill lol)
Ensign Engineer: Emergency Power to Shields I (maxed out)

I'm not really sure about Tachyon Beam, it's a neat ability but it only drains about 390 shield power from each facing right now. Granted it's on all 4 facing which is neat, but I'm wondering if I should drop it for something else that is more useful. I used it a lot as a Lt, but found myself wondering if I had better options.

I'm also not sure about Tyken's Rift - is it a useful skill? Or would I be better putting points into something else?

For ship equipment I'm planning to put a phaser cannon and torpedo launcher in the front, torpedo in the rear, and I'm not sure about the 2nd rear slot. I was thinking of a mine launcher just for kicks (does these actually work well?)

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Tykens rift is awesome, it drains multiple targets' power levels at once. While it is useful for lowering damage and agility, the main thing you want it for is because shields drop when shield power is drained. Good timing with HYT and target shields subsystems can let you sneak some extra hull damage in. later on, you might want to upgrade to tykens rift II when you get a new ship.

Tachyon beam is also good with enough skills; remember the drain listed is per facing, per pulse and there are 10 pulses, so you are doing 40 times the shield depletion it lists.

Also note that both are based off current aux level, so run that power high to get the most out of your abilites.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks. I ended up dropping Tachyon Beam for Transfer Shield Strength to balance out my defense a bit more.

Tyken's Rift has a very cool graphic effect, I love it. But I'm not sure if it's something I'll grab more of, I plan to keep the first level of it for sure. But I think my next Boff ability will probably be Gravity Well.

Right now I'm running balanced power, which works out to 50/50/50/65. But I'm contemplating dropping some of the weapon power to put into aux since the bulk of my damage is coming from quantum torpedoes (and quantum mines). I only have 1 phaser weapon right now, and I mostly took it to use the target subsystem abilities inherent in the science ships. I seem to have no trouble killing ships right now.

I even managed to survive for quite a while in Starbase 24 last night when I got stuck right in the middle of the second wave. Got blown up yes, but I survived longer then the other players did.

Offensive Powers: Torpedo Spread I, Scramble Sensors I, Tyken's Rift I, Sensor Scan II, Target Subsystem (Science Ship version)
Defensive Powers: Emergency Power to Shields I, Transfer Shield Strength I, Hazard Emitters I, Shield Batteries (I keep a big stack lol)
Misc Powers: Evasive Maneuvers, Photonic Displacement II

Forward: Quantum Torpedo Launcher, Phaser Beam Array
Aft: Quantum Torpedo Launcher, Quantum Mine Launcher

Right now it seems like a really good balance of offense and defense and I'm actually able to take quite a beating so far.

Anybody have suggestions for improvement on this?

EDIT: I know HYT is probably a better fit, but I like being able to hit 3 enemy targets with torpedoes, it's making PvE go way faster than it did when I tried HYT and could only hit 1 target at a time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwaffle123

Offensive Powers: Torpedo Spread I, Scramble Sensors I, Tyken's Rift I, Sensor Scan II, Target Subsystem (Science Ship version)
Defensive Powers: Emergency Power to Shields I, Transfer Shield Strength I, Hazard Emitters I, Shield Batteries (I keep a big stack lol)
Misc Powers: Evasive Maneuvers, Photonic Displacement II

Forward: Quantum Torpedo Launcher, Phaser Beam Array
Aft: Quantum Torpedo Launcher, Quantum Mine Launcher

Right now it seems like a really good balance of offense and defense and I'm actually able to take quite a beating so far.

Anybody have suggestions for improvement on this?

I have both the Nebula Tier 3 and Tier 5. There is no kind of way of saying this so don't take it personally..but you're wasting that ship with those setups.

To begin with.. you're using torpedos and mines. Nebulas are slow and turn very badly..that means the time it takes you to turn your ship to aim the torpedo you are losing more DPS than that which a beam array would inflict in the same time frame. Mines only work if the enemy gets within 1km of it.. not many do so again, you're losing dps.

Defensively speaking you simply can't tank with that setup. You only have 1 heal-over-time shield heal and 1 very weak hull heal that is also heal-over time. To tank you need to have both a heal over time and an instant heal otherwise you'll just get shot to pieces while you wait for the 'time' part of heal-over-time.

My suggestion:

Key: 1= ensign slot, 2=LT slot ... 4= Cmdr Slot.

Lt Cmdr Science:

1 Science Team 1
2 Transfer Shield Strength 2
3 Gravity Well 1

Ensign Universal: (Science)

1 Polarize Hull

Lt Engineer

1 Emergency Power to Shields 1
2 Auxiliary to Structural Integrity Field 1

Lt Tactical

1 Fire at Will 1
2 Fire at Will 2

Weapons: All beam arrays. Disruptor suggested.

Power Settings: Weapons: 50 (no higher), Shields: 35 (no higher), Engines: 25 (no higher), AUX: all remaining power to AUX (should give you around 70). *** This all depends on your captain skills.

What do you get with this setup?

Damage wise:

Fire at Will has ALL your beam arrays fire to up to 3 targets (each array chooses 3 targets at random) to rapid fire. Having both Fire at Will 1 and 2 allows you to almost constantly be spitting out huge amount of damage to many targets at once. Very useful in solo missions and very useful in PVE.

Gravity Well is the best damage dealing sci ability that exists. If you have Particle stat at 6 or better and have at least one particle console in your ship...with high aux power Gravity well 1 can do up to 900 damage per tick directly to hull to ANY and ALL ships it tractors into itself.

...and this is why I suggest Disruptors as your beam damage type. Disruptors lower damage resistances. Gravity well damage is kinetic. Lowering that resist on a group of ships (fire at will remember? The disruptor effect can land on all of those which your fire at will hits) makes them die faster. Aaand then there's the damage that an exploding ship does to others near it... a cluster of 10 ships in a gravity well... 1 explodes.. makes another explode. which makes the next one explode..and so on. Its lovely.

Healing wise:

You have multiple heals that do not share timers and which all make good use of your AUX power.

Emergency power to Shields gives you 20% resists to shields for a short duration and increases your shield power amount. This should be the FIRST heal you hit when taking damage.

Transfer shield strength 2 is a great regen over time..and it works very good when your shields have 20% resists to them. The more AUX power you have the better the heals

Science Team is what you use as a heal in between the timers for emergency power to shields and transfer shield strength. Its a good, strong heal. The more AUX power you have the better the heals.

Aux to SIF : A very quick timer, very good hull heal as it is based on your AUX power setting.

Polarize Hull: It is not a heal but its almost as good. It grants a HUGE bonus to hull resistances and breaks you free and makes you immune to tractor beams. Use this plus Brace for Impact when you are in a bad situation (no shields, heals on timers, and your hull about to get thumped badly).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
Polarize Hull: It is not a heal but its almost as good. It grants a HUGE bonus to hull resistances and breaks you free and makes you immune to tractor beams. Use this plus Brace for Impact when you are in a bad situation (no shields, heals on timers, and your hull about to get thumped badly).
Keep this ability in mind when you start doing Elite STFs! Polarize Hull + Brace for Impact and reinforced shields will let you survive the infamous invisible one-shot torpedos. The trick is knowing when you pre-emptively activate them...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm not flying a Nebula, I'm flying the Science Vessel Refit. I think it's a Nova class ship?

Seems to turn really good to me.

It has 2 Lt Science spots, 1 Ensign Tac, and 1 Ensign Engineer slot. 2 fore weapons, 2 aft.

I'm definately going to take the information you've given to good use though, thanks
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Oh.. well.. doh me