Lt. Commander
# 1 Foundry Mission Building
02-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Ok, if I have a Interact with object, with two objects tagged. If I want one object to be uninterectable after a player chooses the other one vice-verse. The player can only interact with one of two inteactable objects. Once choosing one the other is unavailable. Its basically a choice. How do you do that?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by branstroker
Ok, if I have a Interact with object, with two objects tagged. If I want one object to be uninterectable after a player chooses the other one vice-verse. The player can only interact with one of two inteactable objects. Once choosing one the other is unavailable. Its basically a choice. How do you do that?
I'm a little unclear about the nature of the puzzle. If a task in the story tab specifiies two objects, then both must be done.

But, if it's totally optional than you can set the states to go invis when a different component is complete.

Parts 3-6 of my triggers tutorials might help. You may have to do it with invis objects to make it work.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Does the foundry / a workaround allows that:
you must interact with one of two objects but you cannot with interact with both?

e.g. do you want to ally with x or y? perform task a or b?
not 0, not 2, but 1 of them
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2012, 02:02 PM
if I am following this, it can be done (in fact I am doing it now in a mission thats going live soon)
  • you have to have basically 4 of the same object (2 pairs)
  • place them both at the exact same location on the map
  • you have to set the console you want them to interact with to go visible>hidden (in the state tab)on component complete of the 'other' object
it can be a bit tricky just because you have to make sure you hide the right console and leave the dummy console visible, and vice versa
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Sounds great.

Does it also work with NPC Interaction instead of consoles?

e.g. having 3 NSC:
1 starts with: Hello, who do you think is the murder NSC 1 or 2?

<NSC 2 and 3 stand there>

You choose to tell one of them: You did it, i arrest you!

If you arrest the right guy the mission continues. and the other disapears.

if you choose the wrong guy the other disapears and the mission is incompletable.

You see what i am aiming at, once there is a workaround to actually make a choice where you can do either x or y, we can do much more intresting storys.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Sheridan
Sounds great.
Does it also work with NPC Interaction instead of consoles?
e.g. having 3 NSC:
1 starts with: Hello, who do you think is the murder NSC 1 or 2?
<NSC 2 and 3 stand there>
You choose to tell one of them: You did it, i arrest you!
If you arrest the right guy the mission continues. and the other disapears.
if you choose the wrong guy the other disapears and the mission is incompletable.
You see what i am aiming at, once there is a workaround to actually make a choice where you can do either x or y, we can do much more intresting storys.
you cannot despawn an npc, so making someone disappear at the moment is out of the question, at least disappear in front of you.

The workaround for this is a bit trickier
First off it involve creating a custom interior, on a ground map, raised at least to a y value of 100. My suggestion would be to create 2 cells, each with their own separate floor piece. This is where things get sticky. after talking with the 2 'prisoners' go to your 3rd npc. have it so that talking to this 3rd person closes a door(so you cant see into the rooms). Then have your conversation with 2 shot glasses set just under the floor triggered to come visible when you finish talking to the npc. One shot glass is set with an interact of choosing person A, the other interact is for choosing person B. set the floor triggers to disappear when you complete the shotglass interact. you can then trigger a floor piece to appear when you open the cell door, putting the floor back in place. You can do this because while objects are not affected by 'gravity' NPCs are, and they will fall if you take the floor away.

The disadvantage to this is that its object expensive, and if you make a complex interior scene you can run out of your 255 items real quick. I should be publishing "Keeping up With the J'Sens" soon that shows an example of the earlier trigger system, and this as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2012, 06:28 AM
I found a workaround a while back for giving the player at least the illusion of choice.

In my mission "Over There," I wanted to give the player moral and ethical choices. I won't get into plot specifics, but it came down to: activate the console or don't activate it. If the player activates it, people get angry and start beaming in to kill you, plus you have an extra task further along the map (note that I said task there and no objective). If you do not activate the console, you simply run to the end of the map.

I went even further in having more consequences in the NEXT map! More on that later.

So in the first map, what I did is I set an objective to a reach marker near the console in question. When you get there, dialogue pops up where your BOFF tells you, "We finally reached what we came to find, do you want to activate it?" The next objective is a reach marker at the end of the map. The console is not tied to any objectives.

Using the trigger tab, I set three things to become visible when the console is activated. The first is a pop-up dialogue window where the villain reams you out for activating his console. The next is five or six groups of mobs along your path to the final reach marker. The third is a set of objects that you are supposed to "destroy" i.e., activate and they blow up. If you don't hit the console, none of that spawns, you run to the end reach marker and beam out.

Now, on the next map, one of the very first things I have happen is an NPC will ask you what choice you made on the last map. Then I set a group of enemies to spawn if you choose one dialogue button and a group of friendlies to spawn if you choose the other one. Again, not tied to an objective. The only objective is to destroy one enemy ship that will always spawn regardless of what you choose. If you chose one way, you get a little help, if you choose the other, it becomes a three-way fight.

So, in summary, you can give the player some choice, IF you don't tie it to an objective.

Feel free to run my mission if you want to see how it works in practice.