Lt. Commander
# 101
02-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
I might have a somewhat different perspective on this article, especially if you read the replies to after the article. I think the authorís premise is flawed; this isnít only a gaming issue. This happens any time a customer feels alienated by the product or service they are purchasing. Look at Netflix. Or BoA. Or the airlines charging baggage fees. You could insert hundreds of other examples of this same thing occurring in other industries over the past year alone.

No, this behaviour is true for any consumer market, not just games. The writer may just be ignorant of this because she is a gaming magazine journalist. Anyone who has worked in a customer support role knows what Iím talking about. Iím pretty sure the author had a predetermined conclusion which is why her conclusion, gamer entitlement, is completely misleading and quite frankly wrong.
Um, she writes for a gaming site. How many gamers are really interested in the macro view of a sociological phenomenon? If she was writing for the New York Times or even USA Today, she could broaden her scope to include everything you mention. But she's not, so she tailored it to the audience she was writing to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
In short, yes people feel entitled to the products they purchase.
I disagree with that assertion. I mean sure, you feel entitled to something you purchased but you shouldn't expect to have a say in how it's created unless the creator of said project specifically asks for your input. You know why they rarely do? Because people lie, always. They say one thing and do the exact opposite. If they want to go the story route and allow people to fast forward through combat, there is an audience for that. That audience isn't typically trolling Twitter, Facebook and Reddit looking to pounce on anything that doesn't meet their standards and douse it with a gout of internet venom.

I'm a travel agent. I know firsthand about the hubbub when United started the 'baggage fee' trend. Wanna know what happened? People huffed and puffed...and KEPT FLYING THOSE AIRLINES. Said one thing, did the opposite. Are there no carriers who don't charge baggage fees? There are plenty (Southwest being the largest). But people didn't want to look into alternatives, they wanted the status quo. Now, they pay for it. It took the other airlines MONTHS to jump onboard that gravy train. Know why? They were waiting to see if they could scoop up the outraged people and really profit from not charging fees. Few people switched so all the legacy carriers charge for bags now. People in the UK and Europe might be familiar with a carrier called 'Ryanair', who makes money hand over fist despite being (according to press reports) notorious for nickel and diming their customers. They're actually funding development of standing room seats for their planes. Yeah, that sure hurt their bottom line.

There is a reason that datamining in these games is often more useful to developers than player direct input. You (and I) lie constantly. We say we want 'this' and when given, we complain about how we wanted 'that' more. These troglodytes used the anonymity afforded them by the internet to pile ad hominems onto a person they knew nothing about, aside from one of her design philosophies.

garravesh, you think skipping past dialogue is fine but skipping past content is not thus, you are not the audience for that particular feature. There are people who sorely miss the days of finely crafted stories in RPGs (early Ultima series is often used as an example, before Richard Garriott lost his marbles). The combat was secondary, almost a necessary evil. It's reversed now so the story based people basically have nothing tailored to their desires (and don't you dare even mention TOR, which is still a combat focused model). I don't see a problem in expanding the market and creating products for multiple different groups of people. Hell, I have accounts in multiple MMOs because I don't always want the same thing all the time. Combat can be boring, especially when the outcome is never in question (as is often the case in these games past the newbie levels). The problem with story is, if it never changes, there's no replayability.

But people attacking someone over their personal or professional views is......well, it's par for the course in internet communities, isn't it?