Lt. Commander
# 481
02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarContinuum
Only been using Linux a few days so was wondering if I could get a little help.

I've managed to get STO installed easily enough on Mint11 but when I get to the launcher I have no way to change the account type from Perfect World to Cryptic. Clicking those options with the mouse has no effect. Any suggestions?
If you're still having this problem, use winetricks to install IE8, (shudder) that fixed the problem for me.

My current problem is getting sound in STO under wine. I run mint 12 and wine 1.3.28. I have the mmdevapi workaround, but it hasn't helped. Anyone else running similar settings and getting sound?
Lt. Commander
# 482 crashing on mac
03-11-2012, 03:14 PM
The game actually let me play through the tutorial mission and then through another, but then it crashed on vulcan when I tried to use the shuttle craft. Then it crashed every time I loaded a character. I even made a new one and it crashed too. any advice?
Lt. Commander
# 483
03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
I have the mmdevapi workaround, but it hasn't helped.
The mmdevapi is now implemented properly in WINE, so remove all workarounds as *those* will cause troubles now. I had to remove the mmdevapi workaround (disabled entirely in my case for UT3) I had in place for older versions of WINE to get sound to work in STO.

Also, make sure the audio device in game is set to 'default', as I've had troubles with specifying a sound card in that option (mostly broken up sound).
Lt. Commander
# 484
03-17-2012, 08:55 PM
So, I have STO up and running. However, I have no sound at all, and it looks like somebody turned off the lights! I can see my hud ok, and all of the menus seem to display properly. However, In the main screen, All I can see of what's going on are the names of other people and the red and blue lights from ships. What should I do?
Lt. Commander
# 485
03-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Just FYI, I recently uninstalled STO from my Ubuntu laptop because I needed some space back (and I'm on an STO hiatus). I noticed that /home/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/<username>/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files was taking up about 27GB of space. This was due to STO. Might want to keep an eye on this folder if your space is running low, or if you're uninstalling STO.
Lt. Commander
# 486
04-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 came out today. Anyone have any luck getting STO to run in it?
Lt. Commander
# 487
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1k1k1
Ubuntu 12.04 came out today. Anyone have any luck getting STO to run in it?
I've got 11.10 running fine on my x64 build. I run a little script and make sure that the processor governor is set to max/performance. I've got an nvidia 550TI and get ~25-60 fps, depending on the effects in the area.

EDIT: Unbelievable, I just realized who you are
Lt. Commander
# 488 Working in Ubuntu 12.04!
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey people, just wanted to let you all know how I got my setup working on linux. I currently run 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (fresh install.)

1. I am using the current version of wine from their repo (1.5.4)

2. I set my environment to 32bit
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

3. I used winetricks to get ie7
WINEARCH=win32 winetricks ie7

I had to do the next two steps to fix that horrible stutter in the sound. Since I use Ubuntu, pulseaudio was enabled by default.

4. I disabled mmdevapi in winecfg (under the "libraries" tab)

5. I enabled alsa drivers for sound
WINEARCH=win32 winetricks sound=alsa

6. I managed to get it set as a maximized window. (This was trial and error since the cursor wasn't matching the display. All I can say is watch the tooltip hovers and use key commands as much as you can to get through the menus.)

All of this was done in a fresh wine directory. It apparently didn't even need any special DX install, the errors all seem to be non-fatal.
That's it! I have a playable game, and don't need winblows anymore! I would like to say THANK YOU to the community (and Google) at this point as none would have beed possible without you!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 489 Help
06-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I was able to get Star Trek Online but when I play at 1440x900 there is a popup saying there its not enougth memory. I am running Wine 1.5.5 and latest Winetricks. My video card is a EGA 560ti 2 gig. Operating system is 12.04

Is there anyway to configure wine so STO would use the card video because I think its going through DX9 and the emulator? Although I have plenty of power to run the game at 1440x900 or above
Lieutenant
# 490 Ubuntu 10.10
09-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Hello guys,
I've a pc with 2gb ram and ubuntu 10.10.
I've downloaded STO from the official website, but the launcher doesn't work: in fact, I can only see a white-window instead of the login one. In my opinion the problem is related to Internet Explorer, so I tried to install IE7 and IE8 from PlayonLinux, but the problem persists.
Winetricks doesn't work (it doesn't download anything).
My last chance of success may be a virtualbox, but I have no experience with it.
Do you have advices for me, or a better solution for my problem?
Thank you linux trekkers!
P2W means Play To Win

Archimede - Leader and Founder of "Raiders of Starfleet"
...and 21 other characters!
Closed Thread