Lt. Commander
# 21
02-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSmith
I do not know how they might do it but, I believe maybe when you buy a ship you could get a "doff ship"(the ship would be the same as the ship you bought to use) don't even worry about weapons it is just a "doff" but this doff would count for "25 doff roster slots" for example.
No, they can make it work with the existing ships in our personal fleets. They have to get it to work, the whole point of this is to put our ships collecting dust to work on a mission, not get more ships on top of the ships we have. That makes no sense. The ship in our ship select and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
This sounds a lot like the current doff system--with ship parts added to the mix.

More differentiation would make it a great idea:
  • what will this offer that the DOFF system really can't?
  • how could this be more interactive or nuanced than the DOFF system?
  • what role could this have in territory control?
- This offers pleanty more than what the doff system has. We send crew out on mundane tasks that aren't very exciting. This takes it up a notch with an entire ship crew with hand picked officers going out on a mission with one of our ships - our own ships - that we used before.

- How can this be more interactive? I thought this was explained in the OP, but ok, I guess not everyone got, so that's fine - instead of just picking a crew from our department head's recommendation, we now can outfit a ship specific to the mission, top to bottom, with the crew to go along with. This opens up more possibilities with interesting missions.

- In (pvp?) territory control, slight gains and losses on a border that would get pushed to one side or the other and on plantary systems, i.e., 50/50 controlled, 40/60 controlled, 35/65 controlled, etc.

This gets better the more I think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
To stop leveling - you have to stop playing.

The only option NOT to become an admiral is to never play the character after it reaches level 39.

And no, the 'just wear captain's pips' excuse doesn't fly, because every Tom, ****, and Harry addreses you as admiral. Even your enemies attack you as if you are an admiral - regardless of how many pips you wear or what ship you fly...

I'm not a big fan of end game being admiral in STO. We should have ongoing levels in Captain.

There is a great place for admirals running fleets in STO- but not as a 'doff' style system - as guild leaders.
What you've yet to explain is why it should stop at captain.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I am not interested in wrangling real life people, also known as running a guild. After trying to run the early versions of STFs and learning people can not chat or count to 3, I have a low opinion of the average player out there. I have no desire to, in my free time, for fun, manage a bunch of people who have real lives to live, rather than play STO.

What does interest me is playing a game, a Star Trek game. Flag officers are a big part of Star Trek. Simply because they did not receive the full focus of every episode does not mean they should be left out. Just look at how many relatively minor races are playable in game that were barely in the shows.

For an Admiral style DOff system, I would like to see ship "cards" that would allow us to slot in some DOffs who would tweak the performance of the ship. This could affect the ship's ability to perform DOff like missions. The real kicker would be that these ship "cards" when not in use for DOff missions, could be used as BOffs in space. They could follow in specifically designed missions and possibly new PvP modes.

The game needs to add more Admiral level game play experiences. As some one else stated, why should it stop at Captain? I'm tired of shooting things constantly. Take my captain's chair- please! I'll help manage the greater war effort and get my hands dirty for the real critical stuff (no more scanning 5 flowers for this Admiral).
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I like the idea but there would need to be some serious planning and restrictions put in place to make it work as I would want it to.

First up you should only be able to equip gear on your ships up to the captain rank, i couldnt use mark XII stuff when i was a captain, why should my doff captain simply because I am his boss.

You should only be able to send out a ship once that ship has a full crew going for it, so only when you have all the BO slots filled and at least 6 department heads should you be able to send a ship out.

I also think there should be a limit on the ship levels you can do this with, so for example you get 3 tier 1 ships, 2 tier 2 ships then 1 tier three and 4 ship and thats it. You cant own a bunch of tier 5 ships to do with as you wish

Finally your BOs rarity should have a major impact, you send a tier 1 ship out with a bunch of commoners as its crew on a mission that is dangerous chances are they aint coming back, and when they dont come back, thats ship is lost for good. When you lose a ship you should also get a 'court marshal' penalty. This would basically calculate the risk of the mission compared to the crew and ship you sent out and if it turns out you sent your crew on a suicide mission you get a fixed time penalty (be it a day, week, month..etc) before you can start to replace that ship

I also think that this system should be HARD (yes folks thats rights, HARD with a capital H, A, R and a D) the one real gripe I have about this game is its far too easy to get to VA, well this system should be a true end game system which should keep people interested and going for a long time.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp48 View Post
I like the idea but there would need to be some serious planning and restrictions put in place to make it work as I would want it to.

First up you should only be able to equip gear on your ships up to the captain rank, i couldnt use mark XII stuff when i was a captain, why should my doff captain simply because I am his boss.

You should only be able to send out a ship once that ship has a full crew going for it, so only when you have all the BO slots filled and at least 6 department heads should you be able to send a ship out.

I also think there should be a limit on the ship levels you can do this with, so for example you get 3 tier 1 ships, 2 tier 2 ships then 1 tier three and 4 ship and thats it. You cant own a bunch of tier 5 ships to do with as you wish

Finally your BOs rarity should have a major impact, you send a tier 1 ship out with a bunch of commoners as its crew on a mission that is dangerous chances are they aint coming back, and when they dont come back, thats ship is lost for good. When you lose a ship you should also get a 'court marshal' penalty. This would basically calculate the risk of the mission compared to the crew and ship you sent out and if it turns out you sent your crew on a suicide mission you get a fixed time penalty (be it a day, week, month..etc) before you can start to replace that ship

I also think that this system should be HARD (yes folks thats rights, HARD with a capital H, A, R and a D) the one real gripe I have about this game is its far too easy to get to VA, well this system should be a true end game system which should keep people interested and going for a long time.
Yes I like it make it HARD but, also have the possiblity for great rewards(not xp) items like weapons and dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I'd much rather not have this; I'd prefer if the rank structure maxed out at Captain. Similarly I really don't want to be in control of a Fleet as part of some level cap increase either. One Captain, One Crew, One Ship.
SO MUCH THIS!!

The top rank should be CAPTAIN. Like Kirk was, like Archer and Sisko and Picard and Janeway were. It's a show about... Captains. We should stop at Captain.

Save ADMIRAL as a title for the leaders of Fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
SO MUCH THIS!!

The top rank should be CAPTAIN. Like Kirk was, like Archer and Sisko and Picard and Janeway were. It's a show about... Captains. We should stop at Captain.

In game ranks and game play options should have absolutely nothing to do with wrangling a bunch of real life people. I have no desire to be a babysitter for people who have real lives, but plenty of desire to be an Admiral in a Star Trek video game. Kind of like this is.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
SO MUCH THIS!!

Except it's not "a show about captains." The show was about exploring the galaxy and dealing with the various species encountered. Hell, Sisko didn't even make captain until a few seasons into DS9. There's no reason to restrict everyone to captain.

Now, I have no problem if Cryptic wants to implement a way for folks to voluntarily cap their skill gain so they stay a certain rank. WoW does this for folks who want to stay in certain PvP brackets, so it already has precident for how to do this in an MMO. But, there still hasn't been a solid reason presented for limiting everyone to captain.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
also for the first 3 movies Kirk was an admiral he was bumped down to captain after he stole the enterprise in "the search for spock"
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Ok, I don't want to get demoted. I want to run a Flotilla, at least, via this ship crew DOFF idea. Yeah, I'm going to go on record, I don't want to get demoted because others want to just run one ship. Leave our ranks as is, thanks.