Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I honestly doubt most players even read the text while playing. They simply fast-click through the text screens to get to the combat.
Once I realized there were no branching conversations, let alone character depth or even mildly well-written dialogue, I started this.

The writing isn't terrible, but not really worth reading either. They need to hire a dedicated writing staff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafico
Once I realized there were no branching conversations, let alone character depth or even mildly well-written dialogue, I started this.

The writing isn't terrible, but not really worth reading either. They need to hire a dedicated writing staff.
Good and bad are subjective concepts. What you find mind-numbing others find stimulating. If everyone liked the same things we'd all only be playing Fantasy MMOs (most likely WoW) and there'd never be another game made.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Good and bad are subjective concepts. What you find mind-numbing others find stimulating. If everyone liked the same things we'd all only be playing Fantasy MMOs (most likely WoW) and there'd never be another game made.
You kind of stated the obvious here. Doesn't really relate to what I said, either.

Agreed, though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafico
You kind of stated the obvious here. Doesn't really relate to what I said, either.

Agreed, though.
My point is that you might not like the dialog and think STO needs new writers, but that's just your opinion. I'm sure there are thousands of people who like STO's stories. Ultimately MMOs are about pleasing the majority rather then the individual. So the way it relates to you is in the idea that the individual opinion is recognized but it somewhat meaningless. As far as MMOs are concerned the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the 1.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
STO does have a major villain. It's called Cryptic. At least, that's what it sounds like from all the people who post on these forums, lol...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
My point is that you might not like the dialog and think STO needs new writers, but that's just your opinion. I'm sure there are thousands of people who like STO's stories. Ultimately MMOs are about pleasing the majority rather then the individual. So the way it relates to you is in the idea that the individual opinion is recognized but it somewhat meaningless. As far as MMOs are concerned the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the 1.
i quite liked the stories of STO the Romulan one was by far the best however i will reserve judgement of this one till the end. so far its been quite good
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-26-2012, 08:13 AM
honestly, STO does have one major villain. I won't say its name but it is so powerful that it is ruining the entire star trek universe piece by piece
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
The Iconians are meant to be the major villain, but Cryptic cbf doing anything with the story in this game.
I disagree that cryptic are procrastinating. There's such a thing as "The Long Game"; the building up of a good villain to last the entire run of a story until the inevitable confrontation at the end.

What happens if the next featured series involved the Iconians, lasted for the 5 standard episodes and then BAM, story's over. Nothing left to tell. Borg are a great big bad to cut our teeth on, so are the Undine and now the Dominion. They're the intermediate villains we have to plow through while we unravel the mystery of the villain behind the villains.

Right now, none of the stock enemies we know and love to blow up seem like a credible threat to me. Borg? They're just something to keep my phaser arrays hot while I work on imporoving my ship builds and combat tactics. Undine? They're just Borg without the shield drain and enormous ships. Dominion? Romulans? Breen? Klingons? They're nothing compared to what's waiting.

The motto of every good storyteller is "Always leave them wanting more". By that measure, Cryptic are doing a good job so far.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
honestly, STO does have one major villain. I won't say its name but it is so powerful that it is ruining the entire star trek universe piece by piece
Agreed. And yes we shall not say it's name....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I think what they are trying to do is as a number have stated is do the long game, what should happen is this, a number of races namely the Romulans, Klingons and by extension the Dominion, Cardassians, Hirogen will more than likely either know the Iconians are returning and the galaxy will be split between those who will follow the Iconians and those will oppose them.

It is likely, that the previous and a number of the subsequent episodes will show the Iconians trying to pit races against each other, Klingons v Federation, as an example in the age old strategy of divide and conquer, at some point all the races will realise that they are being played, even the Undine and we could and I stress could see a series where the Iconians truly return and cause a catastrophe of galactic proportions, let say destroy Bajor (hint hint) they realise in true B5 fashion that they have to join forces much like in respect of the Borg to defend their mutual interests or face enslavement or annihilation?

I doubt that we are going to see an actual figurehead or major villain for some time rather a number of smaller villains who have been deceived by the Iconians for revenge, greed or power other their enemies and have been used. It is possible, that at the end of this series we find that the Prophets did this to rid themselves of the fleet in an attempt to allow themselves to prepare for the coming of the Dominion and in a shadow/dagger way to resolve the issue between the Federation/Klingons/Alpha Quadrant and the Dominion and to start the arduous process of getting them all working together to defeat the Iconians or at least stop shooting at each other to make it more difficult for the Iconians to succeed.

Or Q might get involved and wipe the Iconians out of existence as they were "annoying"? lol
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM.