Lt. Commander
# 51
02-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Bzzz vous ferez l'effort de traduire avec votre ami google si vous desirez comprendre ;-) :

Après la paix d'Amiens avec la Grande-Bretagne et alors qu'il participait à un dîner en présence de ses anciens ennemis britanniques, l'un d'eux lui dit : « Enfin, Monsieur, avouez que vous, Français, vous battiez pour l'argent tandis que nous, Anglais, nous battions pour l'honneur… »
Surcouf lui répondit : « Certes, Monsieur, mais chacun se bat pour acquérir ce qu'il n'a pas. »

Robert Surcouf. (1778-1827)

Ca résume un peu ce "thread" ;-)

(Vous comprendrez peut etre du coup, pourquoi les diplomates usent de facon preferentielle du langage francais, meme si l'anglais aujourd'hui est la langue internationale usuelle courante).
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Google Translate only really gets you so far though, Peck. It's useful but sometimes things get "lost" in translation.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senechall
Google Translate only really gets you so far though, Peck. It's useful but sometimes things get "lost" in translation.
Especially when it is trying to translate from this...
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
What kind of food is "doomed"? I know "toast" and "fries", which is a fairly dooming fate for the ingredients already.
Freedom toast is quite delicious and sometimes I even put mayonnaise on my freedom fries...
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
In protest of anti French sentiments I shall name my next ships

USS Jeanne D'Arc <- if ever we get a fleet support ship or shuttlecarrier; real ship is a CVH
USS Richelieu <- battleship
USS Fantastique <- attack science vessel; was as huge destroyer in the '40s
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senechall
French language play with word.
You can understand a phrase in multiple ways.
Citation of robert surcouf show how he revert what the britain want to say.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck View Post
(Vous comprendrez peut etre du coup, pourquoi les diplomates usent de facon preferentielle du langage francais, meme si l'anglais aujourd'hui est la langue internationale usuelle courante).
For what it is worth, English and French are the two international languages. If you go to any large international event (Olympics) or location (United Nations) everything is written in both English and French. Which just makes the idea that French will become an unused language even more amusing.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-26-2012, 06:52 AM
i shoud ceranly admit that ..

'i will tickel your feet and you wil like it'
sounds better in fr then de
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Hard to believe though it may be, that is exactly what will happen. You see, sometime during the 2050s the United States will sell the Statue of Liberty to Mexico for scrap, to fund WWIII, cause they used up all the money building their moonbase. The French are so outraged by this, and the failure of the international community to act, that they decide to give everyone the silent treatment. Fast forward a generation or two and no one there remembers how to speak, and with no one able to voice an objection, the British move in, open a window to let the smoke out, and that's why in the 24th century the French sound like the British, and wine tastes like ****.