Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
We figured we wanted it to look less habitable, and also thought it would look cool in the sky at night . . .
The fact that the Bajorans had a habitable moon in the first place was probably a major boon for their early pre-warp spaceflight, since it provided a worthwhile "New World" sort of destination as opposed to having to take all their air and stuff with them for their first off-planet colony . . .
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I knew they could pull it off because Everquest did it 13 years ago with night-day cycles with moving sun and moons. Now they gotta revise Vulcan, Andoria, Earth, and hub worlds with this feature.

I mean who wouldn't love to see ESD from Earth?

Maybe this feature could be used to enhance Starbases? Imagine the Earth and the moon rotating below ESD with the terminator (night/day line) changing as well. So everytime you look out the window, its never the same.
That would be really cool. Tumerboy would be the one who could make it happen cause he's awesome that way.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
What is this fifth moon?
The fifth moon is named Jeraddo. It showed up in DS9's 2nd season trilogy. The in-game description for the Bajoran system bugs the hell out of me. The Bajoran system has 14 planets, not 8; and Bajor has 5 moons, not 4.

Memory Alpha link to Bajoran system: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bajoran_system
Memory Alpha link to Jeraddo: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Jeraddo
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Morgan0210 View Post
The fifth moon is named Jeraddo. It showed up in DS9's 2nd season trilogy. The in-game description for the Bajoran system bugs the hell out of me. The Bajoran system has 14 planets, not 8; and Bajor has 5 moons, not 4.

Memory Alpha link to Bajoran system: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bajoran_system
Memory Alpha link to Jeraddo: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Jeraddo
That's where I had the confusion--the in-game description was saying four moons, but I counted five of them. Hopefully the description will be fixed in a patch soon.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-26-2012, 10:58 PM
ah, didn't know about the in game description. I'll bug others about it tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
That would be really cool. Tumerboy would be the one who could make it happen cause he's awesome that way.
lol I may be awesome, but I'm probably not that awesome. There are some limitations that would have to be addressed before we could pull something like this off.

On a semi related note, I know ESD is supposed to be in synchronous orbit. Does anyone know where it's synchronous over? like UP Fleet Yard is obviously over Utopia Planitia on Mars. Is ESD over San Francisco? Somewhere else?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasten_Blaster View Post
when will EARTH and SFA get the same treatment? i'd love to beam down to Sisko's fathers restaurant and buy Creole food there. Could be used as an alternate means to healing from the death penalty. Those of us brave enough to play on advanced/elite.
You can already make Jambalaya in your replicator (although you may or may not need a Human Chef DOff in order to make it). Also, Sisko's family restaurant is in New Orleans, half a continent away from Starfleet Academy. I don't think making an entirely new city instance just for one restaurant is really justifiable.

(Although I wonder if it would even still be around in 2409, what with "The Sisko" being all with the prophets or whatever, and Jake being some sort of reporter... Is there anyone around to keep it running?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I knew they could pull it off because Everquest did it 13 years ago with night-day cycles with moving sun and moons. Now they gotta revise Vulcan, Andoria, Earth, and hub worlds with this feature.
Want to see awesome day/night cycles? Check out Fallen Earth. Reportedly the stars that shine at night are astronomically correct, and you can even navigate by them. Although, they do have the advantage of only needing one skybox (with day/night cycles) for the entire game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
lol I may be awesome, but I'm probably not that awesome. There are some limitations that would have to be addressed before we could pull something like this off.

On a semi related note, I know ESD is supposed to be in synchronous orbit. Does anyone know where it's synchronous over? like UP Fleet Yard is obviously over Utopia Planitia on Mars. Is ESD over San Francisco? Somewhere else?
I don't belive we have ever had a fully clear shot of the starbase over earth... There are plenty displaying the starbase over earth, but never clear enough to see the continents.

However

Based on the Pic here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...dock,_2293.jpg we can tell that it is located above the northern hemisphere. In my eyes that would mean either above SF (SFC headquarters) or Paris (UFP president and all), or possibly between the two (wich would put it above the Atlantic), to make travel-time from both SF and UFP the same (as it serves both organizations).

Now... It would make sense if the starbase would be placed strategically to serve as a defense platform.
Since it wasn't destroyed in the Breen attack (at least we weren't told that, and there was no obvious debris in the pictures we saw in DS9: Changing face of evil), I think it is more likely that it's orbiting either the Atlantic or Paris (then the Breen could have taken a position out of range of the starbase).

This Picture seems to support the "Atlantic idea": http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ck%2C_2293.jpg

This was the best I could find: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File..._Spacedock.jpg
There is no obvious landmass (apart from somthing that seems more like distortion in the pic) on that picture either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
(Although I wonder if it would even still be around in 2409, what with "The Sisko" being all with the prophets or whatever, and Jake being some sort of reporter... Is there anyone around to keep it running?)
Ben Sisko both had a Sister and at least 2 brothers. I belive that in Homefront, the man (not his father) in the kitchen is supposed to be his brother.
So I would think that one of them is running the show.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Quote:

Unless it's using some heavy-duty station-keeping (possibly non-Newtonian, given how gravity generators work in Star Trek), it's probably at a Lagrange point, most likely L4 or L5. I can look that up for ya on Tuesday.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I don't belive we have ever had a fully clear shot of the starbase over earth... There are plenty displaying the starbase over earth, but never clear enough to see the continents.

However

Based on the Pic here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...dock,_2293.jpg we can tell that it is located above the northern hemisphere. In my eyes that would mean either above SF (SFC headquarters) or Paris (UFP president and all), or possibly between the two (wich would put it above the Atlantic), to make travel-time from both SF and UFP the same (as it serves both organizations).

Now... It would make sense if the starbase would be placed strategically to serve as a defense platform.
Since it wasn't destroyed in the Breen attack (at least we weren't told that, and there was no obvious debris in the pictures we saw in DS9: Changing face of evil), I think it is more likely that it's orbiting either the Atlantic or Paris (then the Breen could have taken a position out of range of the starbase).

This Picture seems to support the "Atlantic idea": http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ck%2C_2293.jpg

This was the best I could find: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File..._Spacedock.jpg
There is no obvious landmass (apart from somthing that seems more like distortion in the pic) on that picture either.
I know if I had an enormously massive and obvious important military target floating over my planet I would definitely NOT want it positioned over any type of populated landmass. If it's going to be in geosynchronous orbit, I'd put it over the Pacific, so when some nefarious no-gooder decides to take out SB-1, the majority of the pieces fall into the ocean instead of wiping out the surface. I would guess, however, that it's placed over the Atlantic though, which I guess is unfortunate for whoever is living in that "Atlantis Project" thing, waiting for that giant space station to fall on top of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
Unless it's using some heavy-duty station-keeping (possibly non-Newtonian, given how gravity generators work in Star Trek), it's probably at a Lagrange point, most likely L4 or L5. I can look that up for ya on Tuesday.
Not sure where it's "supposed" to be, but the pictures would seem to indicate that its orbit is closer to the Earth than the Moon's Orbit. Actually, the pictures make it look closer to Earth than the L1 Lagrange point too.

EDIT: Side question: If "The Sisko" ever comes back, would he be younger than his son at this point?