Lt. Commander
# 11
02-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Fleet owned destructible structures and zones of control. Both space and ground.

Massive Open World Battles to defend/ destroy the above mentioned. Not some kerratish map either. I want HUGE!

No queues for this either. Ditch the queues while we are at it. Real PVPers dont need a carrot to fight... we just need a proper place to let it all out.

A PVP Metagame. All battles should have an effect on this so-called war we got going on atm with FvK. PVE access to zones and missions should be affected by the PVP metagame.

Force the conflict and make each factions PVPers hit the zone. I still hate the day FvF PVP was announced. Partly, why I quit last time. Stuck in a PVP faction waiting forever on people to queue to fight. No more easy outs!

No to PVP gear imo. To me, that and instanced arenas are what kills PVP in other MMOs.

Plus, I already detest and refuse to do the STF gear grind and I will be damned if i got to shell out more cash to be competitive in PVP... again.

P.S.

Also, add Warp/ Sector Space combat with a SWG-like Overt/ Covert system. One can self-flag for PVP or get flagged by stepping in to help a friendly who is in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
all i ask for is a random map generator... then they can ignore us
Founrdy Support for PvP! And we can make all the maps and game modes we want and never talk to a content designer for PvP again. (We'll still hold Heretic, CaptainGeko and BranFlakes hostage, I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Yes, that would, you know, make a lot of sense.

War zones with Klingon and Fed NPCs and faction-specific spawn points and real objectives other than "blow the others up". That would be cool.
And we could always tell the noobs:
"Back in the days, we had just one spawn point among 20 players across 2 factions! And the Borgs weren't just everywhere around the nodes - they were _in_ the nodes! Heck, just to get to Ker'rat, we had to go uphill!"
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I would greatly enjoy the Asteroid map from the latest FE.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
There are a lot of good ideas and wishes for PvP in this thread, especially Foundry authored PvP maps, if that's even possible with current Foundry technology. I hope someone at Cryptic is reading this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I would greatly enjoy the Asteroid map from the latest FE.
the only bad thing about maps like that are its not possible to "hide" b ecause your name will still show through the rock.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
the only bad thing about maps like that are its not possible to "hide" b ecause your name will still show through the rock.
Can you , as the player, not disable your own name from showing?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-28-2012, 04:50 AM
There are so many great ideas to making PVP work better in this game, I just hope that they do listen and give us some of them.
Foundry and system fleet control being some of the better.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Can you , as the player, not disable your own name from showing?
that makes it so you don't see it, roach, everyone else, will.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
that makes it so you don't see it, roach, everyone else, will.
Hmm, never fiddled with it so did not know that. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
PvP has been awful since the beginning.

I remember transitioning from LtC to Commander PvP on my Sci captain...in one tier, we were slaughtering the Klingons. In the next, they were slaughtering us. Same players, same team sizes, for the most part same abilities...but the balance changed so drastically that the outcomes were reversed.

The problem with that is, you realize nothing you're doing in-game is impacting the outcome because it's predetermined due to balance. It's not fun to lose all the time, but then again it's not fun to win all the time either. Winning quickly becomes boring when you realize you have almost no chance of losing.

As for max-level PvP, I've only experienced that on my Tactical officer. It was awful at launch, awful a year into it, and awful recently when I tried it again.

The game never showed any of the nuance or carefully-planned counters that are essential to PvP in games like WoW or Rift. And with space combat, positioning/movement is almost a moot point since these are giant ships that turn extremely slowly. It's not like you can pillar-hump, LoS or do that sort of thing. So that means outcomes are even more dependent on abilities and counters.

I love the idea of PvP space combat in a Star Trek game, and the basic foundation is there, but the devs haven't really shown interest in putting the time in to fine-tune things. As others have said, unless it's a way to generate cash, that probably won't happen. Unfortunately, PvP players are only a fraction of any MMO's player base, and pouring dev resources into PvP has never been profitable.