Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-28-2012, 07:16 PM
It would also be great if they disassociated rank from level to some degree. Having a galaxy full of captains makes infinitely more sense than a galaxy full of admirals.

I must say that I REALLY love how they've done the levelling in this game - in that the content matches your level regardless of what it is, and that you can match levels with your friends to have a crack at the content together.

Back on topic though - another idea that just popped into my head that would let folks play their TOS ships for solo content: the ability to match the level of the ship too.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies here guys!

For now I bought the Excelsior Retrofit to do some STF missions and get some elite gear. My long-term plan is to equip my connie with it and roll the T5 content like a man

I have some points to add:

First, I accept the argumentation about how a T5 TOS connie would fit into the 25th century BUT the game also gives you the option to create the weirdest non-canon paint jobs and recently even the chance of getting a cardassian galor class as a federation captain - so how does THAT fit in?

Second, the problem with the current "galaxy full of admirals" is that you end up in a status quo like in all other role playing games where everyone is using the same armor and the same sword because they happen to be the best equipment. So you will not only have a galaxy full of admirals, you will have a galaxy full of the same 3-4 ship classes, which is unrealistic too because I don't think starfleet would build 1000s of (for example) odyssey-class flagships. It would be like the dominion battle scenes full of galaxy-classes - even they feature old miranda ships, or the streets full of ferrari supercars.

A little bit more diversity would not hurt the gameplay at all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to say that the current system is bad, I just want to post some ideas and feedback as a new player.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Not gonna happen...

Luckily CBS won't allow it.
Luckily they allow the 100 years older D'kyr, the Jem'hadar suicide bomber and the Cardassian Galor at T5, because clearly it is more advanced than the Keldon. Amirite?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I can totally see this message spammed across the server sometime this summer:

Congratulations! Anazonda has just opened an Elite Constitution Class Retrofit!

I don't touch the abomination of lockboxes. So I can promise you that you will never see that message... unless of cause I get unlucky enough to be picked for one of the "cheat messages" that are confirmed to appear.

h*ll... I dont even have C-points... not even from Stipends (wich I dont seem to recive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
Becuase its their mission to suck the fun out of star trek
for me it is fun not to see the Connie as anything but target practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Luckily they allow the 100 years older D'kyr, the Jem'hadar suicide bomber and the Cardassian Galor at T5, because clearly it is more advanced than the Keldon. Amirite?
Now now... Check my thread / post history... you will see that I don't support thoose ships any more than this one..

BUT: This thread is not about thoose ships... (big chock... I know).
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Quote:
I don't touch the abomination of lockboxes. So I can promise you that you will never see that message... unless of cause I get unlucky enough to be picked for one of the "cheat messages" that are confirmed to appear.
In that case I would still laugh my butt off.

Quote:
Now now... Check my thread / post history... you will see that I don't support thoose ships any more than this one..

BUT: This thread is not about thoose ships... (big chock... I know).
It doesn't matter. To give you a comparison to your reaction: Let's assume the OP had asked for the combadges from Future Imperfect and you had replied "Thank god CBS won't allow that." In a game where CBS approved that a Starfleet captain can wear a pink shirt, neon green pants and sky blue combat boots with a Terran Empire badge that's just incredibly ridiculous.

Quote:
for me it is fun not to see the Connie as anything but target practice.
Sounds more like a personal antipathy towards the ship that started it all.

Personally I'm not a that big fan of the TOS Constitution, what I would like is my Constitution/Excalibur kitbash on T5. For the layout I would love it to have the first canon-appropriate one. Commander science (Spock), lieutenant-commander engineering (Scotty), lieutenant engineering (Uhura), lieutenant tactical (Sulu), ensign tactical (Chekov).
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
In that case I would still laugh my butt off.

That is your right, and I doubt you can laugh loud enough for me to hear... anyways

It doesn't matter. To give you a comparison to your reaction: Let's assume the OP had asked for the combadges from Future Imperfect and you had replied "Thank god CBS won't allow that." In a game where CBS approved that a Starfleet captain can wear a pink shirt, neon green pants and sky blue combat boots with a Terran Empire badge that's just incredibly ridiculous.

And you dont think all thoose things are horrible to look at? STILL not the topic thoug. If you take a look at the OP, the topic is the Connie, and only the connie.

Would I prefer a steamlined uniform code, and integrety? YOU BET... But right now all I can do, is do my best to fight even more mess.

Sounds more like a personal antipathy towards the ship that started it all.

Not at all... The Connie was a fine ship in her days and very combatworthy... But now she is what she is... Target practice, and shouldn be any more or less than that.

Personally I'm not a that big fan of the TOS Constitution, what I would like is my Constitution/Excalibur kitbash on T5. For the layout I would love it to have the first canon-appropriate one. Commander science (Spock), lieutenant-commander engineering (Scotty), lieutenant engineering (Uhura), lieutenant tactical (Sulu), ensign tactical (Chekov).

Huh?
See above, and please stop turning my words into somthing they are not while you are at it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Quote:
See above, and please stop turning my words into somthing they are not while you are at it.
I am not turning your words into anything, at least not consciously. Communication psychology 101, what you say is only half of it, the other half is what other people understand.

Quote:
And you dont think all thoose things are horrible to look at? STILL not the topic thoug. If you take a look at the OP, the topic is the Connie, and only the connie.
The Connie topic is part of a larger issue you try to ignore. Concerning the look, I don't like all the uniforms people come up with, I originally wanted Cryptic to design their own 25th century Vulcan ship and I absolutely dislike the Jem'hadar and the Galor, both at T5 and in the Federation and KDF factions. Concerning the Constitution, everything that can be said against it is by now pure and utter hypocrisy with a 50 years younger and a 100 years older starship at T5. Also there have been at least two absolutely amazing ship upgrades in Star Trek and Countdown canon, the Voyager by Admiral Janeway and the Narada in the Vault. The latter was a mining ship that was helpless against pirates and destroyed a whole Klingon fleet after being upgraded. So yeah, I believe we could do a lot with the Constitution, not mentioning her 3 25th century counterparts.

Quote:
Would I prefer a steamlined uniform code, and integrety? YOU BET... But right now all I can do, is do my best to fight even more mess.
"Don't you see it Admiral? You're fighting the wrong war." Starfleet and the KDF are taken over by ships of other factions, the next one will probably be Romulan or Breen. And you waste your time fighting the inclusion of an actual Federation starship at T5?

Quote:
Not at all... The Connie was a fine ship in her days and very combatworthy... But now she is what she is... Target practice, and shouldn be any more or less than that.
If the D'kyr and Excelsior can be upgraded there's no reason the Constitution shouldn't be. It was never run at its full potential anyway, the Kelvans made it a lot faster with a few upgrades.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-29-2012, 04:41 AM
I give up... you're not reading.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingfortress
Enemy ships in the campaigns level as well. If you play "night of the comet" in level 50 you gotta battle a level 50 23rd century D7 klingon ship.
Its still the same ship as it is on low level when you fight it. Same Console Layout and BoFF's! Its just buffed up in level with scaled gear. I dont know if NPC Ships using the same layouts then the player ships but it doesent seem to be different.

So if you fly your 23rd Century Consitution at VA (Level 50) its pretty much the same as the D7 Level 50 Cruiser you fight, because if you use VA gear your Connie is basically Level 50...

Try it out and compare it in a match probably with a Lt. Player with his Connie... you will see that your ship is not at his levels when it comes to damage and healing. So it is actually a Level 50 ship just limited on abilities thats all
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I can totally see this message spammed across the server sometime this summer:

Congratulations! Anazonda has just opened an Elite Constitution Class Retrofit!

You know I really hate to say it, but if they actually put a tier 5 in a box, there would be such a backlash to forum hate. Granted that box would have record sales.