Lt. Commander
I'm an on-again, off-again player, but I started playing this game shortly after launch.

It's shocking, but I didn't really "get" how to really use scan (hotkey: "V" on ground and in space) properly until I started back up recently. There are any number of missions that were horribly difficult for me just because I didn't use scan. At all. Ever. I also had a more difficult time gathering anomaly data because I wasn't using scan. Now I realize that scan will point you to the nearest anomaly or mission objective in almost every case.

I feel so stupid.

I really wish they'd included that in the tutorial now that I think about it. Anyway, what do you wish someone had told you back when you started playing? Think of this as an information thread for new players.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I wish somebody had told me that I should have subscribed for the first month.

Given that it costs $5 for a respec, subscribing for that first month is an insane value.

For the $15, you will get the 400 CP ($5 value) as well as a respec token as you rank up. Take a look at how many ranks you would expect to reach during that month, each would be worth $5. Yes, it would have been an incredible value to have done so.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Don't laugh, but it took me 1 1/2 years to find out you can auto fire your weapons. I think I wore out 3 space bars firing my weapons...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
I wish somebody had told me that I should have subscribed for the first month.
Yes, I used my first free month then bought lifetime. Now my veteran rewards are always a month late compared to other players. Cryptic, why can't you just say my days subscribed counter started when I first started playing?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8monkey View Post
Don't laugh, but it took me 1 1/2 years to find out you can auto fire your weapons. I think I wore out 3 space bars firing my weapons...
Don't feel bad. I think my mistake was dumber. ^.^
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
For the $15, you will get the 400 CP ($5 value) as well as a respec token as you rank up.
You don't get the 400 CP until you Subscribe for the second month. That's why the Stipend comes 1 to 2 days after your Subscription date.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracounguis
Yes, I used my first free month then bought lifetime. Now my veteran rewards are always a month late compared to other players. Cryptic, why can't you just say my days subscribed counter started when I first started playing?
Holy crap, you know when your veteran's rewards are coming down to the month? Eep.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
Holy crap, you know when your veteran's rewards are coming down to the month? Eep.
There's a "days subscribed" counter in you My Account page on the STO website.

In game, it used to state how many days you subbed vs the nuber of days up to the next vet accolade (that stopped after 500 days, though)
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
I wish that somebody had told me not to buy the 'extremely limited-time and very sought-after Collector's Edition' for nearly seventy bucks at launch because it would be available for nine dollars about a month later on eBay... :-P

EDIT: And to seal the deal, I wish that someone would have told me that the game would still be retaining its beta-quality charm over two years later...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Wish someone had told me not to get a life time sub as the game isn't worth the discs it was loaded on. I wish they'd told me lifers would be getting ripped off and practically spat in the face by Cryptic and PWE and Atari.