Lt. Commander
Before I begin, my apologies if this is the wrong place for this post. My suggestion is this: it would add a great deal of depth and involvement to the experience of STO if it were possible to talk to one's Bridge Officers. We know from all the series that the relationships between the characters aboard ship are some of the most important things in the Star Trek experience, and yet these officers, with whom we are expected to fight and die, have really very shallow relationships with their captain.
I certainly don't have in mind a massive voice acting undertaking, or anything on the scale of Bioware's RPG characters, but some simple text conversations, perhaps each progessing from the one before. Perhaps the current system of dialogue options, or perhaps even that venerable system of chatbots providing automated dialogue. It needn't be terrifically complex or consistent but even such a small effort to provide interactivity would make the whole experience seem a whole lot more real. At the moment the Bridge Officers might as well be robots for all the humanity they have. The customization system is brilliant for the appearances: then we spend so much love and work on creating a statue that we can't really interact with. I love the current BOff system, and this small addition could instantly make it twice as immersive, and twice as Star Trek. I do hope this wouldn't take massive effort, and that it's something the developers will consider.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2012, 03:27 AM
No. I'd rather not have this than having something very shallow. I've played Fo3 and both mass effects and there's always a point where the interaction with the NPC stops because there's nothing else programmed for it.
And programming specific dialogue and personalities is very time consuming. Given the state of the game right now, I'd rather Cryptic dedicate their time for something more important. This may come later.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by perji
No. I'd rather not have this than having something very shallow. I've played Fo3 and both mass effects and there's always a point where the interaction with the NPC stops because there's nothing else programmed for it.
And programming specific dialogue and personalities is very time consuming. Given the state of the game right now, I'd rather Cryptic dedicate their time for something more important. This may come later.
Actually why not? Especially if it leads to mission involving a Personal matter with your Boff? Many Examples exist. "Amok Time" in TOS, The many times Lore or an offshoot of Dr. Singh's research showed up because Data was with TNG crew. As long as it isn't all conversation trees, it really coud add to the immersion aspect of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by perji
Your forgetting the core element in mmos is all about being shallow
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraniku
Actually why not? Especially if it leads to mission involving a Personal matter with your Boff? Many Examples exist. "Amok Time" in TOS, The many times Lore or an offshoot of Dr. Singh's research showed up because Data was with TNG crew. As long as it isn't all conversation trees, it really coud add to the immersion aspect of the game.
Well yes, IF it involves having Boffs with distinct personalities and developing social relations with them. But as I said, it's time consuming to create that, and in a mmo the social aspect should not focus on NPCs.

I want to interact to my Boffs as much as you do, and have functional bridges/ship interiors, but we're a quite a long way from that for now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't know -- I feel like having anything put in for dialogue trees would conflict with what I've already assumed about any of my captains' bridge officers and their personalities. It could be fun, sure, but from the "role playing" (for lack of a more appropriate term?) aspect of playing my characters I don't know that I'd like it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2012, 02:01 AM
From a machinima perspective, this is conspicuous in its absence. At least when you walk onto your bridge, all your bridge officers should stand to attention and salute. They should also respond to certain emotes, for example, a /salute should get a /salute in return. This is basic stuff, not difficult to implement, the triggers and animations are already there. We can only wish...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
How about a nice selection of occasional generic reports?

Every 4 minutes or so, one of the boffs gives a quick report about how the power couplings are running nicely, or that they'd like to see an engineering team in an hour, etc.

Obviously a large selection would be needed to ensure it didn't get repetitive.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-29-2012, 06:03 AM
I've thought that this could possibly take the form of a random Daily mini-mission that happens on board your ship. Of course the interactions would be limited without a lot of new tech (and would be limited even then). But given enough of these in the pool, you could have the illusion of interacting with your BO's.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-29-2012, 06:17 AM
The lack of on my ship interaction is what caused me to drop the game when i baught it 2 years ago. I felt it was the biggest failing of the game that me and my crew had nothing happening onboard our ship. Everything was external. Id welcome ANY addition that changes that.