Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Gameclient.exe keeps crashing due to corrupted textures in .hoggs files, can these crashes be prevented when this occurs (maybe just don't display the corrupted texture)? If the texture is corrupted, then can't the game make use of the on-demand download feature to download a new copy without crashing the Gameclient?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
And also, the force verify does not seem to fix these .hogg files. I have to manually copy and overwrite the .hogg files in the Live folder from the Tribble folder as these have not been corrupted.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Your best option is to delete the offending .hogg file, then do a force verify. It will then re-download the file from the server for you and hopefully the problems will be fixed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
i can verify that deleting and repairing/redownloading fixed this problem for me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
How do we know which .hogg file has the offending texture? There are like 3 of them. Do we have to download ALL 3? Do we really need to download an entire 1GB file (let alone 3 of them!) just to fix a single probably 1MB+ texture?? Seems an excessive solution. And honestly not particularly an effective one.

Honestly, we've been deleting HOGGs and re-patching repeatedly over the last week or two and are getting frustrated... The issue keeps recurring.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGmirkin
How do we know which .hogg file has the offending texture? There are like 3 of them. Do we have to download ALL 3? Do we really need to download an entire 1GB file (let alone 3 of them!) just to fix a single probably 1MB+ texture?? Seems an excessive solution. And honestly not particularly an effective one.

Honestly, we've been deleting HOGGs and re-patching repeatedly over the last week or two and are getting frustrated... The issue keeps recurring.
Before you trying repatching for what seems like a multiple multiple time, you might want to run a full set of diags on your computer. These being error check, disk clean up, disk defragment, deep anit-virus/root kit scans. I would delete the .hogg files first and then run all these and then try to verify and patch the deleted files.

It seems to me that if you're getting the same file corruptions that there may be another problem somewhere else that's the actual root of the problem. I obviously can't say for sure that it'll work, but it would be a good basic thing to try.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Before you trying repatching for what seems like a multiple multiple time, you might want to run a full set of diags on your computer. These being error check, disk clean up, disk defragment, deep anit-virus/root kit scans. I would delete the .hogg files first and then run all these and then try to verify and patch the deleted files.

It seems to me that if you're getting the same file corruptions that there may be another problem somewhere else that's the actual root of the problem. I obviously can't say for sure that it'll work, but it would be a good basic thing to try.
This is absolutely brilliant advice. Corrupted files usually indicate a hardware problem with the computer running the program, so back up your data and run some diagnostics.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I got my issue fixed, it was indeed an hardware problem, not with the Hard Drive but the Hard Drive Controller on the motherboard. Replaced the motherboard and CPU, and the issue hasn't been seen again since. It's a bit strange how STO was the only game I had that was crashing, maybe it was due to increased read/write cycles to the hogg files. But still, the force verify did not fix things at the time and did require a new hoggs file to be downloaded.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGmirkin
How do we know which .hogg file has the offending texture? There are like 3 of them. Do we have to download ALL 3? Do we really need to download an entire 1GB file (let alone 3 of them!) just to fix a single probably 1MB+ texture?? Seems an excessive solution. And honestly not particularly an effective one.

Honestly, we've been deleting HOGGs and re-patching repeatedly over the last week or two and are getting frustrated... The issue keeps recurring.
I am the friend "MGmirkin" has been trying to help out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Before you trying repatching for what seems like a multiple multiple time, you might want to run a full set of diags on your computer. These being error check, disk clean up, disk defragment, deep anit-virus/root kit scans. I would delete the .hogg files first and then run all these and then try to verify and patch the deleted files.

It seems to me that if you're getting the same file corruptions that there may be another problem somewhere else that's the actual root of the problem. I obviously can't say for sure that it'll work, but it would be a good basic thing to try.
Tried that several times already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
This is absolutely brilliant advice. Corrupted files usually indicate a hardware problem with the computer running the program, so back up your data and run some diagnostics.
It would be if we did not already try that. There are several threads regarding this issue, so incase you missed the main topic here is the link, also note the other links in that thread regarding duplicate threads and this thread is another duplicate thread. Here is the link!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=249567&page=2
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Okay so I checked out the other threads, looked over all the dixdiags and all that.

Glad to know it's not a hardware problem, that actually narrows it down quite alot. Since I'm also running off a new computer (mine is custom build) and I've never had any of those problems here are 2 things right off the bat that I can think of for you to try. You gotta understand this is a pain in the *** thing to try to narrow down because there are so many different things that can cause this issue.

First off, COMPLETELY disable the anti-virus software your using and download AVG free edition (I know you already have anti-virus but just take a leap of faith here)

secondly, after you get AVG installed and it does its initial scan, then download the k-lite media mega pack and fully install everything with default settings.

Then disconnect the system from the net, do a restart and then go back through and delete the corrupted files, do disk cleanup, then restart the system again.

reconnect the system to the internet and try to verify/patch the files again and see if that makes any difference.

It very well might not help any, but it's a simple and free thing to try.


EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention. The reason for downloading and installing k-lite media pack is because it is literally every and any codec you might need including compression and decompression protocols
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.