I have been having the same issue with a bit of a twist. My Fed character can login and play normally. My Klingon character lags out on the loading screen everytime. So it is specifically tied to certain characters and not just accounts, at least for me.
i was testing is yestarday on different system ( different houses / locations )
and it has LIKE I SAID nothing to do with me...
i tested it yesterday
On my House , My friends hous ( 3 blocks far ) and a cybercafe.
also people from other countries reportet that problems...
thats the bets proof that its NIOT my Router OR my OS.. nether my NETWORK CARD...
If it is also not CRYPTIC.... i wonder why peopel with EXACT the same setup as mine PLUS teh same Provider and ROUTER having teh same Problem..
that issue is like a worm.. going from one to the other randomly.. when i started playing this at F2P ... i could play 18 hours a day.. ( without maintenance ) without any problem...l
So what you're describing appears to be a regional ISP or Backbone carrier issue...
You also may be unlucky enough to be on the same sub-net as a target that Anonymous is trying to take down through a massive Denial of Service attack... The amount of network load this can generate is something that cannot be laughed at...
I am having the exact same issue. As a parent of a 3 year old, my time to play STO is limited and it seems I won't be able to play the FE today if something isn't done soon. This is also why I can't play STF's. Server stability is so unpredictable I have no interest in starting something I may not be able to finish. I don't know if it has something to do with going f2p but if it does, it is completely not fair to those of us who are paying to play to give us stability issues so that others can play for free.
Not sure if this will help, but I'm trying to diagnose this with a friend of mine and we found the problem was with his router.
We connected directly into his cable modem and his response time was excellent.
As soon as he connected his router he had major timeout issues. Also, we isolated his PC to be the only one connected to the router to make sure other devices (wireless, VOIP, etc) wasn't affecting the net traffic.
Haven't tackled his router issue yet. Hopefully a firmware update will help, or even switching to a 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt would help. He does have a D-Link gaming router (quite a few years old) so we will probably also try a Gamefuel config to prioritize the STO traffic.
If someone has suggested this already, forgive me. I didn't read every page of this thread.
It turns out that upgrading the firmware on the router resolved the issue.