Lt. Commander
# 11
03-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwaffle123
But now I'm wondering about whether a sci ship can function as a torpedo boat lol.
I heard torpedo consoles stopped stacking in the current patch. You may want to double-check with some common ones off the AH, but I think torpedo builds just got pummed with the nerfbat.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
I like what you said, but why do you have the rainbow torpedoes? I thought using rainbow weapons like this wasn't very efficient?
There are some strange things about those builds, however, the rainbow torpedo build works when you do a setup which needs its kinetic damage buffed (torps + Gravity Well) and not just a particular type of torpedo. Why? For your tactical slots you'll be using the Tactical Warhead Yield Consoles which buffs anything doing kinetic damage including your Gravity Well and all torpedos you may carry. It's just another reason why Science ships synergize so well with being a torpedo boat (especially those that want to buff their powers that do kinetic damage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgatag
I heard torpedo consoles stopped stacking in the current patch. You may want to double-check with some common ones off the AH, but I think torpedo builds just got pummed with the nerfbat.
That's not entirely correct. Warhead Yield consoles still stack and are working as intended. The rest, not so much after this last patch. All torpedo consoles prior to the patch were buffing all kinetic damage incorrectly and not just the particular type of torpedo they were slotted for. This bug first showed up on Tribble during F2P testing with the new skill tree and it is just now been corrected...erm broken again.

Quote:
The only thing I could think of was to run 25/50/25/100 and just use torpedoes since they aren't affected by weapon power, but that seems silly and I don't know if a torpedo boat for sci ships is particularly effective.

The other option that's coming to mind is to run 100/50/25/25 and keep a big stack of aux batteries and use the batteries before using sci abilities, which could work I suppose but I don't like the ideal of relying on batteries to be able to use my powers. But then I'd be stuck waiting out the 2 min CD on batteries whenever I wanted to use my sci stuff.
For what you want to do I'd recommend you go with any mix that favors either Weapons (if you tend to run with more energy weapons) or Auxiliary power. You really don't need all that extra shield power as I would assume you'll also be running EPTS. Science ships do have powers which will reliably strip shields but they are more advanced tactics and take some practice to do efficiently. Most people just prefer the spacebar. To clarify, for PvE, power drains are a more efficient way to strip shields, however, you should also pack enough burst DPS to do what you have to do when those shields are dropped (I'd recommend a mix of High Yield Trics and Plasma Torpedos). You'll honestly want to get comfortable with switching your power levels anyway under different circumstances should your build favor energy weapons. This holds true for all ship types when they want to switch from DPS to tanking to healing or simply running. If you want to be the best pilot you can be just get comfortable with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
That's the problem with science ships sadly. Many people say to use the power preset settings.. thats just BS. Switching back and forth power settings on a ship that already has you overwhelmed with clicking heals and science/weapon abilities is not workable.
You should look into setting up a keybind file if you're getting overwhelmed with button clicking. It will change a lot of misconceptions about what you think is possible and not possible. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=192243
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75
There are some strange things about those builds, however, the rainbow torpedo build works when you do a setup which needs its kinetic damage buffed (torps + Gravity Well) and not just a particular type of torpedo. Why? For your tactical slots you'll be using the Tactical Warhead Yield Consoles which buffs anything doing kinetic damage including your Gravity Well and all torpedos you may carry. It's just another reason why Science ships synergize so well with being a torpedo boat (especially those that want to buff their powers that do kinetic damage).
What about the torpedo cooldown? The 3s global torpedo cooldown kinda screws this up doesn't it?

Or does it actually work out so all 3 torps can fire without being stuck waiting for the cooldown?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
What about the torpedo cooldown? The 3s global torpedo cooldown kinda screws this up doesn't it?

Or does it actually work out so all 3 torps can fire without being stuck waiting for the cooldown?
Not an issue. You need to make sure that you are going for burst DPS instead of trying to do sustained moderate DPS over a long period because then your target can simply outheal you. When you make a move try to make it count. I'd go with HY Trics and HY Plasma. You can utilize a Chroniton for PvP and a Breen Cluster works nicely in its place for PvE content.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75
Cooldown is not really an issue but you need to make sure that you are going for burst DPS instead of trying to do sustained DPS over a long period because then your target will simply outheal you. Make your hits be worth something. I'd go with HY Trics and HY Plasma. You can utilize a Chroniton for PvP and a Breen Cluster works nicely in its place for PvE content.
OK, that raises another question - spread or high yield torpedo?

I played around with both, and while spread does less damage it makes pretty quick work of swarms of small ships which you run into a lot of. Spread with Quantums was popping birds of prey in a single volley sometimes when I was doing missions.

Is HYT better? I know it does more single target damage, but spread seems to be more useful as it can hit way more targets.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
I like what you said, but why do you have the rainbow torpedoes? I thought using rainbow weapons like this wasn't very efficient?
The rainbow weapon DO NOT rule applies only to energy weapons because you get better damage out of using single-beam type tactical consoles.. Torpedoes on the other hand, due to their global delay shared timers, can only be fired 2 at a time hence boosting them with a console brings smaller rewards than boosting 3 beams that fire simultaneously. On the damage ship you can use the +kinetic damage consoles to boost all torp's damage types not just one or two.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:
OK, that raises another question - spread or high yield torpedo?

I played around with both, and while spread does less damage it makes pretty quick work of swarms of small ships which you run into a lot of. Spread with Quantums was popping birds of prey in a single volley sometimes when I was doing missions.

Is HYT better? I know it does more single target damage, but spread seems to be more useful as it can hit way more targets.
HY for burst with Trics and Plasma when it counts. When going against swarms of scorpion fighters and Bops in PvE spread beats it of course. I used to one shot cubes in the Borg invasions with Tyken's and a HY Tric when I was running them. It's all relevant to what you want to use it for. I should have remembered what content you are primarily running at this point. I'd get through the content first and hit VA. Once there you can concentrate on min/maxing your build and whether or not to go for burst DPS or more for sustained DPS. I think you'll want to concentrate on burst single target DPS with your weapons setup in a Science ship since you don't have a lot of Tactical BO slots (unless you're trying to be the lost son of Captain Kirk). Your science powers are a totally different animal, however, and not necessarily thought of in the same way.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-05-2012, 04:47 AM
I am currently running 125/125/61/115 in my Nebula! all is good!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygone View Post
I am currently running 125/125/61/115 in my Nebula! all is good!
How the heck is that possible?
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Well considering I have only started playing this game for the last 3 days (i quit after 2 months of release), amd I'm in green Mk11 gear.......

How on earth is it, that I know this and you dont!

2xEPtW, 2xEPtS and ES3, all Captain skills that increase power levels, inc all bespoke captain traits.