Lt. Commander
I have recently returned to ST:O after nearly a 2 year break, I originally left due to the severe lack of anything resembling end game content. STO went F2P, so I decided to give it another try.

I levelled from 45 > 50, now what?

I have done a bit of PvP, but the queues are not very quick and from what I can ascertain there are no PvP rewards. There are no instances in this game with loot tables, so I cant farm those for gear.

Ive done a few fleet actions, which are ok, but there are only a few (4/5?) that take place in space, I am not a lover of ground combat, (though It is growing on me)., so these get old, very fast.

There is to my knowledge not an STO version of wowhead, so its not like I can look up gear and find where they come from and go do that.

Yes there are STFs, which I am sure I will do later on, (I did Infected and Cure when they were 1st released),

So, STFs, Fleet Actions, PvP, what else is there? Because I seriously hope that after 2 years they have come up with more than these 3 very very very limited choices.

One more thing, If I read on the forums about gear XYZ so things like Aegis / MACO / Borg, how does one find out where to grind / purchase this gear from ?

Cy
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Aside from STFs and the Featured Episodes, there are doff missions (though they're not really hands-on), dailies, and the Foundry... not much more than that. I suppose you could hang out at Quark's too (especially late at night) and watch the somewhat creepy RP stuff that goes on there. :p

As for the set items, stowiki is mostly up to date. You can find out where to get set items there; though most of the end-game gear comes from grinding STFs... endlessly...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2012, 04:33 AM
The STF's have been made shorter now as they have separated them back in the day they were way to long i like them now just wish they would add some more. I like featured episodes but same as once completed and you have the rewards you want there's really not much pint in doing them again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Taev View Post
Aside from STFs and the Featured Episodes, there are doff missions (though they're not really hands-on), dailies, and the Foundry... not much more than that. I suppose you could hang out at Quark's too (especially late at night) and watch the somewhat creepy RP stuff that goes on there. :p

As for the set items, stowiki is mostly up to date. You can find out where to get set items there; though most of the end-game gear comes from grinding STFs... endlessly...
Doffs? What are these, they didnt exist 2 yrs ago.

Foundry?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Alot has actually changed in the last two years. By only playing your old character from 45 to 50, you've missed out on
- a restructured leveling experience,
- some remastered missions,
- new areas,
- shooter mode, FPS style ground combat (target reticule vs traditional mmo tab targetting).

- instance finder for STFs, and other fleet actions
- a real time events system that brings special areas, crafting bonuses, missions etc
- a range of featured episode series (special missions that were released as part of a weekly series every so often with special rewards),
- Duty Officer feature (DOffs - where you control hundreds of crew and send them on a wide assortments of missions covering a range of commendation categories, like Diplomacy, Medical and even spying!) starting from level 11 ? you get your first bunch and a tutorial

- restructured STFs so that they are more like instances at various difficulty settings with loot tables
- difficulty sliders to augment how you want to play all across the game
- a whole armada of new ships, new powers,
- refined skills system that doesn't punish you for switching ships and weapon types

- FOUNDRY! - player crafted missions, from crap to spectacular indepth trek experiences!
... to be honest, there is so much its just better if you dive right in from a NEW CHARACTER if your serious about knowing and forming an opinion on what HAS changed.

Arguably, max level is a bit stale, with broken up STFs and fleet actions to do. The DOff system takes a few months to master though and right now we have the new featured series to play through. But what game doesn't have such issues at max level?

Again, if your serious about having a new experience in STO (considering the iunnumerable changes, fixes and different things), roll a new character and leave you old one alone for a while.

Thats my two cents worth.

Quote:
One more thing, If I read on the forums about gear XYZ so things like Aegis / MACO / Borg, how does one find out where to grind / purchase this gear from ?
And to answer your question here, the Aegis set is crafted using anomalies you can find in space (like always), but they can also be rewards for Duty Officer assignments, so you can basically send your crew off into space to explore and return with crafting materials.

The Borg set (like the other sets this has visuals too which can be toggled), can be obtained in part from missions (the Undine mission called Assimilation) and from a loot vendor on DS9 using EDCs. EDC are a guarnteed currency drop from the remastered shorter and dungeon-finder type STFs. This currency can be also used to purchase a range of gear.

Other currencies drop in these STFs as rare drops, which on turn in grant access to the MACO etc set. Again DS9 and mid to endgame stuff. Check out STO wiki for more information on these or fly to DS9 and check them out yourself.

I should make it clear that DOFF assignments happen 'in the background' and happen in real time, so you can even continue earning rewards when logged off, or doing other things. And the range and breath of the assignments continues as you explore other areas of the game, and they are not static either.

p.s. I also forgot to mention they added Dabo in quarks (in particular)... and its a great venue to spend time winning latinum which you can use to purchase temporary holomatrix projectors to change the appearance of your ship.