Lt. Commander
# 21
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I didn't mind much of the story parts or some of the Voice Acting (Actually the Vorta voice actor sounded abit better in this one) One of my Gripes was with the fact that the Actress who played the part of the Female Changeling couldn't have been brought on for this role.

That and the fact that the Female Changling sounded more like the Male Vorta only with him trying to sound more feminie.

Also I didn't like if you choose the Violent Method, you couldn't kill the final prisoner you go to talk with.. Even if your KDF.. I mean come on.. what Klingon Officer wouldn't kill some Cowardly pat'aq like that one!

And finally, the final Cut scene before you warp out felt VERY Rushed. It should have had ships flying and maneuvering not just sitting there.. especially not the defiant. It was painfully obvious that it was just sitting there for the cut scene.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
The whole thing is rife with obvious inconsistencies. Its a shame.

The episode (and the FE in general) looked to be so promising, with a depth of available material, scope for a decent story and so many visuals that practically made folks drool......then it kinda spoiled.

Its lazy. Its what we're coming to expect tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
And finally, the final Cut scene before you warp out felt VERY Rushed. It should have had ships flying and maneuvering not just sitting there.. especially not the defiant. It was painfully obvious that it was just sitting there for the cut scene.
I really didn't like that the Sovereign Class ship in the cutscene got 1 shotted I mean that was 40 years ago a top of the line ship and sides the enemy vessels were from that time as well no way should it do that. Even the upgraded U.S.S. Defiant should not have taken that much damage.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
I wanted to like this episode (and all the prior ones in this series) more than most. I really, really did.

This episode though.... It was like 5 minutes long! WTH!?!
I suppose, if you tried hard enough, you could squeeze another 5 minutes out of it by visiting the other cells, but would folks actually do that?

Setting the inconsitencies and discontinuities aside. I'm annoyed with this particular episode because of the shortness of it and, more importantly, because they had us sit out the ending space engagement.
I mean, what the heck was that about? I'm expected to watch the Andorian get exploded and do nothing? Why? At least let me gun down a few Attack ships on the way out.

The prison facility was beautiful, a work of art. But, sadly. the facility was all this episode had going for it, and that's not enough.

The was, at best, a 3 star Foundry mission. And, that's me being generous. I'm sorry to be so critical, but, damn... what the hell?
Next Saturday is the final episode and quite frankly this was a disappointing FE. Better to just give UGC the Jem'Hadar rewards to distribute in their Dominion/DS9 Foundry missions and we'd have gotten a better set of missions out of it.

Grrr.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
I liked the Guantanamo feel of the prison, with these strange subdued silent prisoners in orange jumpsuits and this incredibly alien facility compared to the rest of the Federation (even in 2409). I also liked reading up on the history and it was gratifying to see more than a few familiar faces.

I'm not sure the Jem Hadar combat part worked. Karuakan could have turned up at the end before ISIS was reactivated, the loyal Jem Hadar should just accompany Eraun rather than spawning everywhere, and I agree with earlier points that it would make more sense for the Gorn or Iconians to sabotage the facility somehow. I never got the feeling it was a "riot" either - more prisoner spawns and fewer forcefields please!

The rest of the map is straight out of the Elite Force holodeck school of map design Looking forward to PvPing on it at some point!
Lt. Commander
# 26 Explain the rewards?
03-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Here is a question - what is the story reason for why we all of a sudden have 3 dominion duty officers and a jem hadar boff? It was explained in the previous two boffs as renegades who sided with us against our enemies, but I don't remember reading that bit of story this time around. Did I miss it?
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I think there was a very strong hint of an Iconian connection here, else those two high-profile prisoners would not have gone missing. I consider this to be direct foreshadowing of a future FE, an endgame mission, or possibly an STF.

I like the fact that the FE's aren't necessarily disconnected and that there will be plot threads running through them and tying them together. I like the fact that this series takes its cue from a TV episode and extends it to a reasonably logical outcome.

Also, for what we did on this mission, that's an awful lot of map design. It's not that reusable for any other context, except maybe PvP or Foundry. I find it difficult to believe that they did all of that work for a one-shot. We WILL be seeing this again, I hope. (While we're at it, I'd like to see that Romulan city map again sometime...)

Granted, there may have been inconsistencies and plot holes... but I don't think it's fair to compare a script for a TV show or movie with a script for a game, or to knock the writing as hard as some are doing.

My understanding is that while there may be some similarities, writing for a game is a slightly different beast and doesn't follow the same formulas as a screenplay. TV shows are linear and it's easy to cut out unnecessary movement from scene to scene, whereas games like this are more event-driven. For all we know, the writer had an elaborate script written... and then had to hack it down to meet deadlines, play time targets (how long), and technical constraints.

I will also testify, as an amateur, that it is ridiculously easy to write yourself into a "bad place" and really difficult to write your way out of it in a way that doesn't feel like a cop-out. The TV series had budget to support a whole team of writers over the years. I suspect STO does not.

For example, the whole bowing thing... sure, maybe the Vorta and Jem'Hadar wouldn't have done it that way in the series... but bowing on bended knee is a far more reusable animation, and that might be the reason. It's also possible that the animators simply weren't aware of the difference, even if someone else at Cryptic was, but I'd be willing to put money on reusable animations.

Since the mission has rewards that are arguably worth replaying, it is important that the mission move quickly enough so that replay doesn't feel too grindy. As it is, I felt that the mission is generally worth replaying to get those alternate rewards and it doesn't feel like an annoying chore.

All that to say, the plots may well have problems but for a game they don't all totally suck. Yes, Cloaked Intentions was a better FE series in some ways. 'Of Bajor' was too long for the kind of mission it was, yes, and would have benefited from going more wide (more optional paths to complete) than long.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-06-2012, 05:45 AM
It's not that the Jem H'dar won't harm a Founder, it's that they can't. They have been genetically created to view the Founders as their God. Every part of their existence prohibits them from thinking any other way. Can't believe CBS allowed this...perhaps it flew under the radar?
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
It's not that the Jem H'dar won't harm a Founder, it's that they can't. They have been genetically created to view the Founders as their God. Every part of their existence prohibits them from thinking any other way. Can't believe CBS allowed this...perhaps it flew under the radar?
Care to explain why, if this genetic programming is perfect, the Founders also needed to engineer a physical dependency on Ketracel White?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Ah, after perusing Memory Alpha I now realize that there is an Iconian tie to the Jem'Hadar as well.

"To The Death" http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/To_the_Death_(episode)

I really, really hope that was intentional in this episode...