Lt. Commander
# 11
03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Doubt anyone here would recommend this, as they wouldn't be considered "Serious Gaming Hardware" but the performance and power consumption are incredibly impressive.

AMD A8-3870K [3.0GHz Quad Core 4MB L2 Cache]
Gigabyte A55M-DS2 [FM1 DDR3 HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI Spec 3.0]
Kingston's KHX1866C11S3P1K2/4G [4GB CL11 (Programmable) 1.9GHz DDR3]

That would be a good base specification, that can be obtained for < 180 ($250)
It also supports Dual-GPU, which I would personally pair it with either a HD 6570 or HD 7670 as they will clock-sync better with the on-die 6570 producing approx. 80% performance gain; basically for less than quarter of the cost you'd get the performance of a top-end dual-gpu card.

Probably also good to keep in mind that the AMD HD 6570 is powerful enough to run STO in DirectX 11 (beta) 1080p full graphics (4xMultisample Edge-AA, 16xAF) at a stable 60fps.

If running on a Windows 7 or 8 platform, then would also recommend a small SSD (8-16GB) that is setup as a ReadyBoost device instead of an individual HDD. Although you won't see quite the same initial performance you would from using as a primary HDD, you will be GREATLY extending the lifespan of the device which many SSDs under heavy usage have a habit of burning themselves out or becoming highly corrupted when ECC fails.

While I won't deny the performance of the Intel i3/5/7 with Floating Point Mathematics makes them incredibly impressive choices for business applications, when it comes to gaming their performance has a great deal to be desired. I would say the same about the NVIDIA GeForce hardware as well, tends to perform better in synthetic tests over real-world application... particularly often must be optimised to achieve stable results, where-as AMD hardware might not achieve quite the same framerates the hardware bottlenecks less often producing very stable and fluid framerates that imo is better for gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm shocked and appalled that no one has posted the falcon guide yet.

Everything that you need for building a computer is in it.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...uide/Guide.png
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteconn
I'm shocked and appalled that no one has posted the falcon guide yet.

Everything that you need for building a computer is in it.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...uide/Guide.png
... An interesting guide, but I'm troubled that it's signed off looking like the signature of a 12 year old. :p
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
It doesn't even list my processor on that list.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Appreciate all the input guys. It has made me think. I'm going to have a look at the i5 processor and obviously another board. If i decide to go for the AMD equivalent of the i5 what would that be???
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman7286 View Post
Appreciate all the input guys. It has made me think. I'm going to have a look at the i5 processor and obviously another board. If i decide to go for the AMD equivalent of the i5 what would that be???
Again, tom's hardware is a great site to answer questions like this. They have charts that compare performance of different processors. They also compare things like power consumption if you look around.

Getting low power consumption isn't just for sissy environmental-friendly guys like myself, it's also good because less power consumed = less heat produced = less noise from the cooling fans = happy times.

To answer your question, it looks like AMD doesn't have an equivalent of an i5 (although those charts are a year old now, they need to make some new ones soon). AMD tends to focus on budget chips. If you're looking at upper-end AMD, you'd end up saving money getting a lower-end Intel instead.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
I've gone for an AMD Phenom II Black Edition quad core. It was in a bundle with 4GB Corsair memory and a 1Gb Palit GTS250 graphics card. All for 115 including delivery (ebay). I'm not complaining at that price and it'll do for what i need it for. I'll stick the 680i board on ebay and see what i get for it.

I also ordered some red led case fans, a better cpu cooler, a red cold cathode kit, red screw kit and a cable tidy kit.

I'll get some pics up once it's all running.

Appreciate all the help guys, top bunch of people