Lt. Commander
# 11
03-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Latnium exists to serve as a social currency. Borticus has said that they do want suggestions on what stuff to add to latnium vendors but nothing combat oriented will make the cut. So costumes, holo emitters, etc. I do like the idea of using it to buy land, maybe duty officers (slaves), or maybe let us start some kind of trading mini game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Fleet Starbases, etc were supposed to be the original plan for this season, but that obviously changed...maybe in the future season(s) this came be where people can sink their latinum.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Novelty items like garbage holoemitters and trophies. That's why.

Hopefully the items available for GPL will get better whenever they finish discussions about adding new novelty items.
Isn't that exactly the opposite of what I said?

I said it was a mystery as to why someone would waste their time with dabo if they don't need the latinum. Obviously if you want to buy those items, you need the latinum to do it and thereby would play dabo to get it.

It's not even really a game...it's just a gated exchange system.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramierez View Post
Isn't that exactly the opposite of what I said?

I said it was a mystery as to why someone would waste their time with dabo if they don't need the latinum. Obviously if you want to buy those items, you need the latinum to do it and thereby would play dabo to get it.

It's not even really a game...it's just a gated exchange system.
They do because like the OP they are part Ferengi and figure if they accumulate enough they will be able to convince the powers that be to make that useful, thus having a potentially significant advantage on anyone attempting to apply common sense to such matters.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
GPL should remain a novelty currency after all ..it doesnt take any skill to earn it..just click, click, click.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
GPL should remain a novelty currency after all ..it doesnt take any skill to earn it..just click, click, click.
Ahh but it does take lots of patience.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
It doesnt take long to get piles of latnium, it takes alot longer to spend them.

Ferengi Traders that sell cosmetic upgrades to your ships, clothing ect ect there are numerous things latnium can be used for.

There is no "advantage" in having piles of latinum, you either play or you dont, its part of the socializing aspect of the game and there should be something decent to spend it on or get rid of it, and or make the payouts smaller.

I do not believe latinum is a novelity item, it was/is a "major" currency in a large amount of the 700+ Star Trek episodes made and the numerous book series that are out. I believe the devs want to do something with it, just haven't got around to it as of yet.

I also have piles of EC's, 10s of million of EC's that I am finding it hard to spend too. Doesnt mean that I will stop making EC's.

However, I saw that DStahl wanted to add Fleet based star bases for season 6, he says they are working on it. I hope that latinum will be part of the "Mats" needed to build one. The star bases should take EC's, latinum, dilthium, and any other combination of data samples, weapons, hull plating ect ect to make. Our Fleet Crafters should be working overtime to make a star base. I would hope it would not be easy or cheap to make a star base.

I believe in a lot of things that STO is doing, other wise I would not have bought the LTS and spent $100's of dollars in the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't see why you would play Dabo enough to get over 7 million GPL...