Lt. Commander
Its been a while since i made a thread here on the forums, but during my travels in STO i suddenly had the following idea wich i wanted to share and bounce off the community.

I have recently grown the tendency to filter out Unscrupulous Doffs out of my lists. Now you might wonder why would you do that since some assignments (especially on the KDF sadly :S ) gain a benefit from those "people" And the reason is simple... I dont want that kind of people on my crew... So if you got this far in my little rant your prob going "k so wtf is this idea already" and its the following:

First you would have a dropdown menu (kinda like where you assign your various Boffs to their station on your ship). A menu where you select the DOFF traits you find important. Now some of those will be obvious (like Efficient for one) But the main reason for this dropdown menu would be to allow you to choose what kind of traits would make or break the new DOFF mission i had in mind. And that mission would be a plain and simple "Promotion" Doff assignment. Now we wouldnt want to have this new mission make it easy to get all sparkly purple DOFFS, so not only would it have to be rare, but the traits that make or break the succes of said assignment would be the ones you filled in previously.

Some things would need to be more fleshed out obviously. The answer to the question if said dropdown menu needs to get locked in order to prevent further "abuse". Because you could just change it to the traits the doff you wanna promote has.

Idea's come to mind of a repeatable mission that might reward you a "repick" of said dropdown menu traits. Think of it as a mission that makes your captain go to a process of introspection, and rethink what he finds important.

But in the end the most important question i ask myself would be, if its just me who think this would improve your .... "Relationship" with your virtual ship and crew, improve "immersion". Thats why i wanted to post this on the forums. Please share your thoughts, even if its just "This is a horribly dumb idea and a waste of Dev time"

Thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2012, 08:56 AM
I never thought about the traits like that ... but now that you mention it i wouldnt really want Unscrupulous officers on my ship either =S

I cant remember any of the other "Bad" traits, but im certainly going to go through my DOFF list and pick out any bad eggs,

As for the idea I like it, but while reading my mind sprang to another idea,

Same drop down window, you can select say 3/4 traits that you HATE ... and what this determines is which DOFF's you let onto your crew ... if you get a DOFF from a cadre, or a recruitment mission, it automatically discards the DOFF if they have said traits,

It shouldn't need any fail safes for abusing the system, its just a sort of automated filter, without it I would just discard the guys myself,

On the recruitment mission my DOFF's bring back some weird peeps, an automated "Sorry but your not the right crewman for us" system would not only be functional, but again would add to immersion,

Your DOFF gives you his report on potential crewman, you let the nice ones in, and any bad ones you automatically say no too, simple,

The down side to it of course is any new DOFF with "Unscrupulous" would be sent away, regardless of there other traits, that is the risk of using the system and I think is perfectly reasonable,

HOWEVER i think it SHOULDNT filter out rare and very rare DOFF's, the screams would be unmerciful if someone lost a VR DOFF because they forget to turn there filter off

In any case /signed, hope you like my idea too, which is sort of the flipside of yours ^^
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevtaiokami
Same drop down window, you can select say 3/4 traits that you HATE ... and what this determines is which DOFF's you let onto your crew ... if you get a DOFF from a cadre, or a recruitment mission, it automatically discards the DOFF if they have said traits
Not sure if i would let the game automaticly do stuff like that for me though. Ide rather have some sort of highlight on the negative trait then so that i can dismiss said bad apple myself. Problem is if you have to many traits you dont want on your crew you'll probably end up with problems. Ive ran into some minor problems myself where i had missions that were part of a chain ask me for an unscrupulous Biologist without Honorable.

Im not sure what the impact would be if you purged more then one "bad" stat off your DOFF list. Although Unruly probably also "could" be purged without to much of a downside.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
So if they're a common thug it's grotesque and immoral but if they're a scallywag of uncanny ingenuity it makes it perfectly okay then? One would reason that the rare and very rare Doffs would be Unscrupulous of a more ruthlessly efficient nature and more "unsavory" person. If turning away applicants due to ethos should they not all be equally undesirable miscreants regardless of rarity?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevtaiokami

HOWEVER i think it SHOULDNT filter out rare and very rare DOFF's, the screams would be unmerciful if someone lost a VR DOFF because they forget to turn there filter off
I can't support this just because of that point.

It sounds like it would not be apriciably easier to go to the "new Doffs tab" and discard any rare/very rare Boffs you don't like than it would be to do the same thing for Boffs of all rarities.

It would also open up the Pandora's box for people wanting to filter based on species, gender, etc. for similarly arbitrary reasons.

All and all it seems like a low value add to the Doff system. I'd rather see the department head system better developed personally.