Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
Before the March patches, the Cover Shield will deploy in front of the player character giving an effective umbrella against enemy fire.

Now, if the player deploys the Cover Shield during combat, the CS will appear behind the character. Suffice to say, this leads to players getting splattered all over their own CS as the enemy happily finishes them off.

Fix please? :3
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Before the March patches, the Cover Shield will deploy in front of the player character giving an effective umbrella against enemy fire.

Now, if the player deploys the Cover Shield during combat, the CS will appear behind the character. Suffice to say, this leads to players getting splattered all over their own CS as the enemy happily finishes them off.

In Soviet Federation, player cover's shield!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes! Exactly!

In Soviet Russia, human is armor!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara

Ditto. Very annoying. Makes the Cover Shield more of a n\hinderance than help.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Found it! It happens much more often when you are walking backwards. We'll get this fixed ASAP. Thanks for the info!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I've with some experimentation found that bombs\mines\covershield and found a rather simple explanation for it.

It'll pop in the directional key you last tapped before deployment. The reason it pops to the rear more offten than the other directions is people will tap the back key to stop themselves, or halt an autorun.

However, strafing left, smashing the deploy CS button while facing a borg (and this should normally pop forward,) and tried do dodge\roll to the left after hitting the deployment button, I ended up slamming into the curve of my own covershield and promptly got ventilated by an elite.

Straifing right, stop, deploy mines, they popped the right. So did my bombs.

Run backwards, popped in behind me.

But if I ran forwards and didn't move in any other direction, I could pop everything infront of me normally.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Ahh great explanation.

Of course, some/most of us usually use the CS as ballistic shield in an assault situation to escape enemy fire so unconsciously we are backpedalling while mashing the deploy shield button.

Will greatly prefer the CS to not have directional deployment in this case, because for most people the directional mode is counterintuitive especially in the heat of combat. This is because the shield cannot be placed first and pushed forward towards the enemy like an IRL riot shield, but is a static entity.

Hmm, pushable shield in future might be fun, no? We'd have some hoplite style battles
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, either above mentioned pushable shield, or (speaking for myself and my issues with BO CS deployment) removable shield (you see, in tight corridors - particularly certain foundry missions - my engineering BO deploys the shield. nothing bad by itself, except the corridor is too tight for me to bypass the shield, effectively forcing me to restart the mission if i fail to improvise a way of removing the shield BEFORE i die of boredom)