Lt. Commander
# 31
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Tosk? Awesome!
"Captive Pursuit" was one of the best early DS9 episodes, and cemented Chief O'Brien as my most favorite Star Trek character of all time!
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
If that's true, perhaps a clarification statement is in order?

It does say that there are new "Assignment Chains", which will reward new items such as Mark XII Blue/Purple consoles. One would assume by the tone of the rest of the blog entry, that these new assignments, also REQUIRE some of the new officers.
there are new chains being added for free to the game. the new packs have the traits needed to get good results in those chains.

you should, unless they are fundamentally changing the nature of the game, be able to slot normal duty officers into the missions. only the gamma quadrant ones will give the better success rates.

we already had 3 new doffs as a mission reward in the latest FE, and several of these leaked over the last few days into the game so some people already have them, and they are purchasable on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
there are new chains being added for free to the game. the new packs have the traits needed to get good results in those chains.

you should, unless they are fundamentally changing the nature of the game, be able to slot normal duty officers into the missions. only the gamma quadrant ones will give the better success rates.

we already had 3 new doffs as a mission reward in the latest FE, and several of these leaked over the last few days into the game so some people already have them, and they are purchasable on the exchange.
Doesn´t the blog we are discussing here explicitly state that there will be recruitment assingments for all new species ? A lot of unwarranted speculation could be avoided if people would actually read the blog before raging.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:

It does say that there are new "Assignment Chains", which will reward new items such as Mark XII Blue/Purple consoles. One would assume by the tone of the rest of the blog entry, that these new assignments, also REQUIRE some of the new officers.
Sadly Heretic had "work" to do and had logged off before I could ask him to post a clarification here.

I think you meant "For some, you may need a Duty Officer with Resolve, Shroud or Telekinesis."

Here's what he said a week ago about those (quotes from doffjobs channel):

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...49&postcount=4
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
...the "Duty Officer Expansion", is nothing more than an attempt to grab some extra cash from people who otherwise haven't spent much on the previous "Officer Cadre" packs. Furthermore, making the purchase of the new pack a REQUIREMENT if you want access to Mark XII Rare and Epic consoles.
As per my previous post:
"220 Cryptic points is easily attainable through dilithium to C-Store point conversion for anyone who plays the game on even a semi-regular basis. Also, they seem to suggest that recruitment missions will also provide you with these DOFFs. "
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:

On Tribble, several of the new chain assignments do not require the new DOffs to accept (although one of the new traits does contribute to critical success of at least one of them). I've personally come across one assignment that requires Shroud to accept, but it was not part of a chain.

Of course, some of the new assignments, maybe the ones that grant consoles could very well require one of the DS9 DOffs (via the new traits), but my interpretation of the article's writeup does not lead to me to that (by how they structured the phrases: "dozens of new Assignments [that] you may need a Duty Officer with Resolve, Shroud or Telekinesis" and then saying "We're also adding new Assignment chains... to recruit Duty Officers from the new species" and then saying "there are three new story Assignment chains with special rewards [consoles]"; seem almost mutually exclusive points).

Plus, as long as the new DOffs can be obtained via non-DS9 Pack means (such as via the new assignment chains, the exchange, or trade), it's technically not a requirement for a player to purchase the Pack to accept the assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Just in time for my stipend, guess I'll put off those Academy uniforms again.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricated View Post
Plus, as long as the new DOffs can be obtained via non-DS9 Pack means (such as via the new assignment chains, the exchange, or trade), it's technically not a requirement for a player to purchase the Pack to accept the assignments.
Cannot be stressed enough.

Some of the new doffs have already been accidentally dropping in the regular in-game cadres. Unless that's an even bigger bug than I thought, I am assuming this means they will continue to be available through that means after tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
for the record:

as soon as i / we know more details, these new chain assignments WILL be tracked live on http://bit.ly/DOFFS
and in the DOFFJOBS chat channel !

by next week we should have it all figgured out

(just when i thought i had some time to play Mass Effect 3)
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Some thoughts:
1) No where in the article does it say the new DOffs are required to play the new assignments... Edit: This has been confirmed by Heretic in post 46 of this thread, here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=4075055

2) You get 3x Gamma Quadrant DOffs for free via the the most recent Featured Episode (Edit: These free DOffs include some of the new desired traits.). Also there's an exisitng Chain (Ghost of the Jem'Hadar) that rewards a Purple GQ DOff. The article also says there "are eight new Consulate Assignment chains, each opening up repeatable Assignments to recruit Duty Officers from the new species." -- These are more ways to farm GQ residents without paying money.

3) If you're a Gold Member you get a stipend. You can buy 1-2 packs a month with that. If you're a Silver Member, you have no room to complain. You're playing for free. If you want "enhanced gameplay" cough up some cash in the C-Store.

4) All players, Gold and Silver alike, have access to Dilithium via in-game play. You can use the Dil Exchange to buy C-Points. As of last night's going rate you could buy 220 CP for about 50k Refined Dilithium.

5) These GQ packs are trade and sellable, which means there's a very good chance you will also be able to purchase them off the Exchange for Energy Credits as you can the other cadre packs. Edit: Further, the new DOffs themselves will be available (and now more easily searchable) on the Exchange for EC.

6) Contrary to some people's opinion, I'm here to tell you, it is ok to spend money on STO to buy C-Points. :p If you're playing STO, then I assume it's a "Hobby". Some people read or play baseball for their hobbies. Which means they likely buy books or sporting equipment. It's ok if you spend money on your hobby too. If you don't consider STO a hobby, perhaps it's more like an "Entertainment" like going to the theater or renting a movie. Again, past-times on which money is commonly spent.
Cryptic and PW are companies that do want to "grab" a little cash, just like every other in a capitalistic environment. It does take money to pay rent, for computers/servers, salaries, etc. They will make a product and find a way to "create a need" for that product in their customers. This is basic Marketting/Business 101, it does not make them Evil.

Ultimately you can still play STO without paying any money, time, or even attention to this. If you choose to do so, you have several options, as described above.

It's all good.