Lt. Commander
# 11
03-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
I also leveled up 3 KDF toons using the Doff system alone. Just camp them at the KDF acadamy and have them do Lore, datachip & doff missions. You'll level them up pretty fast with out doing anything.

I wanted to run all the KDF missions as a level 50 toon and not have to run into the content gap they have. What you should be asking for is more KDF Cstore items. Because the game is F2P they'll only make stuff that makes them money. Once they see KDF makes them money then they'll put out more unique stuff for them.
There's been somewhat of an increase in KDF since the P2W console changes... so you may have something with the C-Store thing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I have one KDF character and he is max level. I did enjoy the missions I did but, they were too far spread. I have been thinking of starting a new character. Create more content and I will gladly change the "have been thinking of" to "am."
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
I have one KDF character and he is max level. I did enjoy the missions I did but, they were too far spread. I have been thinking of starting a new character. Create more content and I will gladly change the "have been thinking of" to "am."
Would it just be the 5-7 missions that are missing or additional things? Such as a Marauding counterpart to Patrols, etc, etc...?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
I think the question of whether or not the KDF faction would become more populated is dependent upon whether or not the playerbase is made up of mostly Star Trek fans, or of MMO players.

Me being a Star Trek fan, I identify far more with the Federation and Starfleet since I've been exposed mostly to the Federation and Starfleet point of view over the course of 5 television series and 11 movies. This is reflected by my character select screen, being populated by 3 Starfleet Captains and 1 Klingon Captain. I played a Fed character through beta and at headstart as well since I was excited to be the captain of a Federation Starship, exploring new worlds... (you know the rest).

It's not that I had no inclination to play a Klingon character from the start. Indeed, I found the angle that was being played initially that the KDF would be a primarily PvP faction VERY appealing. With the additional detail being added that house battles would be a feature as well sent my imagination flying, thinking of all the possibilities of what a PvP faction that also PvP'ed within itself could bring! As soon as I was able (the barrier being having a level 6 Fed captain at the time I believe), I rolled up a Klingon to enjoy what it had.

Man was I disappointed!

Nothing that I was exposed to at all suggested that the KDF was really fleshed out to be a faction of anything. Not even PvP. There just simply wasn't any true gameplay available there. Sure you could jump into KvK or FvK, and it was fun for the first 20 minutes. But it didn't advance the character or game in any meaningful way. Sure numbers were going up, I was gaining experience, but it was just mindless arena play.

That, more than ANYTHING, is what made the KDF so under-populated in the beginning and for the time after that.

Later down the road, we did finally get more content added to the KDF. It wasn't on the order of what the Federation had, but it was a bone being thrown to the KDF. Course the KDF needed more still, but it was better than nothing.

A little more content trickled in, and then finally the KDF were made to be playable from the start. You didn't have to play a Federation character to level X anymore. Awesome, except for one thing...

You still had gaps in the KDF experience!

Once again, the problem was exacerbated as I'm sure players that rolled up a KDF that hadn't before (or were new and rollled KDF as their first character) and palyed for awhile and ran into a wall when they found that there wasn't anything to pick up beyond the grindy missions of exploration, PvP, or the Kahless Expanse type content. Fun for some, but isn't the most appealing.

What needs to happen, which is said to be happening now, is a completion of the KDF faction by the Cryptic team. It's good that the barrier to entry is at the Commander level at the moment. I certainly wouldn't want players to roll up a KDF character and be greeted with huge holes in content as their introduction to STO.

So, hopefully, Cryptic is infact buying the chicken so to speak and working on a complete KDF experience so as to pave the way for future, complete, fleshed out, factions.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
The funny is that if you flipped the starting lvls around, everyone would be a KDF.

It's honestly the lvl 20 restriction that keeps the kdf in the corner.

Why would anyone suddenly switch sides after just getting the hang of the game?

I wonder if it would have benefited the two factions more if silver members could only have one character on each faction. Purchasing an unlock gives two slots, but those are also split between both factions.

Never gonna happen cause I wasn't at the last board meeting. Which is probably a good thing since I am not on the board either.