Lt. Commander
As I look back over the past 2 years and read the recent comments about whats to come in the future, it all seems incredibly random. There have definitely been some good things, but there also seems to be no rhyme or reason as they jumped from one area of game development to another.

I obviously cant speak for anyone but myself, but personally I would like to see the Devs come up with some kind of regular "content schedule that they stick to. For example:
  • 1 new patrol/exploration type mission every week
  • 1 new FE type mission every month
  • 1 new PvP map every other month
  • 1 new STF every quarter

Patrol/exploration missions are simple enough that 1 person could make a new one every week(I have made over 40 of these myself; see the 1st link in my sig). FE type episode missions are obviously more complicated, but it should be very possible to make 1 of these in a month's time. Apparently it takes a lot of work to make PvP maps, but 2 months should be plenty of time. And finally STFs are obviously more complex, but 4 months should be do-able.

What would you think of a regular schedule? How would your preferred schedule look?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I would think that a professional company already has regular schedules. Whatever Cryptic is doing with their time itīs none of the things you have mentioned.

For FEs are very enjoyable, so that one has to go on the list.

I donīt care for PvP but understand and welcome the developement of things for the game in general.

And of course there has to be something for the KDF faction as well. Since they throw around things like 18-20%, make 18-20% of new mission content KDF stuff.

Now a question to you Nagus, how does the developement of more basic content, like letīs say an Exploration revamp fit in the schedule thingy ?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2012, 04:00 PM
the problem before is they kept us fairly up to date and they would often miss their targets. if they set out a schedule and half the office comes down with flu, or one mission takes a couple of weeks longer or a team member if pulled to fix some crazy bug the whole thing will start to unravel and it will end up becoming a confusing mess. they miss one patrol. so do people then expect 2 the next week or just 1. they miss a FE. is that because the latest task force is more complex than originally planned, or some new tech is being developed? or they are training up new people?

once they start missing dates then what good is it?

there are other things that dont fit into a schedule, like a crafting update, or a territory war, or a foundry update. these will also require the team members to do things so there will be times when there is little to no mission content but system features are being added. that again throws it into doubt. the schedule would be changing on a monthly basis to incorporate those systems to the point of never being accurate.

i think your plan would be too rigid for them to work to and would ultimately never be very accurate and if i have taken anything away from their posts its that plans never, ever work out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
What I listed was merely an example. The main question I asked is what would you think of a schedule, and what would your preferred schedule look like.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I am pretty sure they have a schedule, but its for their eyes only.

The problem for us is that it's prioritised based on generating steady income. I'd love to see a balance between 'Tech Expansion' and 'Regular Content', but it always feels like we are waiting for the next big advancement in the engine (Foundry/FPS/Doff/F2P/Economy). eg. DStahl mentioned in the recent Stoked that PVP will be updated with some more new tech

We really need some 'meat and potatoes' content on a regular basis in parallel to Tech updates.

Your list would be perfect
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
  • A PvP map every 24 months.
  • A STF every 12 months.
  • A FE series every 6 months.

Taking a look at the content release schedule of the largest MMO out there and taking into consideration that STO is a F2P hybrid...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
4 stf sets a year.
That is 16-20 missions per year. Each quarter, they make mission.

That has to be reasonable. They don't have to make new species, ships, improve entire sectors of space to make these missions. The girl who is writing these missions is doing a good enough job that it holds up without all the fluff cryptic wants to throw at it.

It won't happen though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
I am pretty sure they have a schedule, but its for their eyes only.

The problem for us is that it's prioritised based on generating steady income. I'd love to see a balance between 'Tech Expansion' and 'Regular Content', but it always feels like we are waiting for the next big advancement in the engine (Foundry/FPS/Doff/F2P/Economy). eg. DStahl mentioned in the recent Stoked that PVP will be updated with some more new tech

We really need some 'meat and potatoes' content on a regular basis in parallel to Tech updates.

Your list would be perfect
So much this. An undying obsession with systems whether in-game or behind the scenes, these guys have it bad for systems. Is this Stephen's obsession? If anything, THAT is where bang-for-the-buck should be re-evaluated.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I think telling people when there is going to be a content update is an ineffective way to turn a profit in an MMO. Even with this game going F2P they don't want people sitting back and logging in once a week to enjoy the new patrol, then for a bit longer once a month to do the new Featured Episode. They want people logging in, looking at what's in the C-Store, and I guess playing, every day.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
For example:
  • 4 new patrol/exploration type mission every month
  • 1 new PvP Map every month
  • 1 new set of sector-specific doff assignments every two months.
  • 1 new Ground & Space STF every quarter
  • 2 Featured Series per year.
Fixed.

My idea?

Create 4 patrol-style missions for Klingons on the first Friday of every month:
  • Allows second week to polish.
  • Third week to test.
  • Final week to release.
This would get Klingons caught up and the starting level could be dropped on a bimonthly basis.

These wouldn't be fancy--just bare bones missions with one space map and/or one ground map from existing art assets.

No voiceovers, no new effects, let the developers create their own unique mission with is there already.