Lt. Commander
# 1 Where are the Caitians?
03-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Caitians and confused as to why they were even introduced. Nevertheless, I was intested to know if they appeared anywhere else than whet is mentioned on the Wiki page

Known appearances ...
  • Animated series
  • Star Trek IV : Voyage Home
  • The cantina

I'd much prefer a Dog race (think John Candy as Barf :p)
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Heh, a dog-like race would be cool. I'd play that over the Catians anyday.

In fact, I've always found it werid that most of the aliens were humaniods, leaning towards human appearance instead of more animalistic appearances. on the TV series they used human actors, so they were a little bit limited by that. however this is a game, so we should be able to have more inhuman features, like having four eyes litterally.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Maybe the Barclay de-evolved spider from TNG ? Ewwwww

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Genesis_(episode)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2012, 11:11 PM
The Caitian species was the first premium species added to STO due the long memory of Trek fans who grew up on the cartoon. Caitian have turned up in several soft-canon Star Trek novels, comic books and computer games over the years. Since the live-action films and series never offered Caitians as a main character we (generally speaking) wanted it for ourselves in STO. We debated tooth-and-claw with other Trek gamers who wanted nothing to do with Trek not seen in live-action productions. Fun times to be sure. As Cryptic didn't have access to the license for cartoon-specific content, they went with the version seen in Star Trek IV. Which explains why the voluminous manes were not an early priority.