Lt. Commander
# 1 Imaginative fleet names.
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I've been looking for a fleet to join for quite some time now, and at the risk of alienating myself from a good majority of potential fleets, I just can't help but question: What' s up with all the unimaginative names for Starfleet players?

I take a look at tons of players gathered all over Earth Spacedock, right outside Sol in the Sirius sector, outside DS9, and in the Beta Ursae sector, and all I can gather is that anyone who has a fleet chose their name based on a random generator.

"Ok, so you want to create a fleet. Please allow the random generator to choose a name for you. First, lets start with a random number.

.... 17. Ok, Your now the 17th something.. Please wait while the generator chooses from up to three of the following words:

-Starfleet
-Defense
-Tactical
-Alliance
-Squad
-Squadron
-Combat
-Sector
-Patrol
-Section
-Fleet
-Earth
-Taskforce
-Elite
-Galaxy
-Command

Congratulations, you have formed the 17th Command Combat Patrol."

I mean, I know that Starfleet isn't the "Negotiate First, Shoot Later" type that they were back in Next Generation, but why so much emphasis on the combat aspects of being a Starfleet officer?

I just now, as I'm typing this post, I finally saw a fleet that at least has fun with it's name. Team Dai Gurren. Anime fans will recognize that one. I had to point out how awesome the fleet's name is.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I think that is mostly the new people creating fleets for the f2p people. I have seen nothing but creative fleet names over the last two years and I think now there must be an influx of people starting a fleet for two or three people.

Some of the standard named fleets, like you have listed have been here since BETA and were unique when they started the fleet. They are all big/respected fleets and you should not lump them into your mix

There are a lot of 'Veterans' out there now

Set Phasers To Sexytime! is still the best fleen name out there
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
I think that is mostly the new people creating fleets for the f2p people. I have seen nothing but creative fleet names over the last two years and I think now there must be an influx of people starting a fleet for two or three people.

Some of the standard named fleets, like you have listed have been here since BETA and were unique when they started the fleet. They are all big/respected fleets and you should not lump them into your mix

There are a lot of 'Veterans' out there now

Set Phasers To Sexytime! is still the best fleen name out there
Actually "Set Phasers To Sexytime" is just a catchy tagline. The name of their fleet is Unrepentant Gaming. Their app is the most hilarious I've seen. I think your right about F2pers. Some of the numbered fleets are gonna be military fanboys, so they come up with a name that looks like it would come from a military unit. There are also Trek fans that create names that make it sound like they are a military unit in the Trek verse. Although, like you said, there are vet fleets that have numbers. It's not a stretch to think that their are vet fleet fanboys that,for whatever reason, didn't join that fleet and started their own and wanted a similiar sounding name.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Personally,

I think the Jevonite Order is pretty unique and imaginative. I researched Cardassian culture and discovered Jevonite (orange gem) which is primarily found on Cardassia, but is very rare. It is found in many Hebeton artifacts found in ruins of the previous culture.

As for the military designator, many service members will use them to help other service members find people with similar values, game aspects, or just hang out with those who have been through similar RL experiences. Many fleets have voice servers and what is primarily a game also allows for fellowship and can get deep into people's experiences.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2012, 05:09 AM
sith my pants
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Starfleet Dental was my favorite I read lately.