Lt. Commander
# 21
03-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
The problem with using our current EVA suits to fight the Tholians, of course, is that the suits aren't strong enough to act as armor. (I speak from experience. The Jem'Hadar vaporized me in a matter of seconds!) We're going to need new, armored EVA suits if we're going to take on those crystalline beasties in combat.
Armor looking pretty skin tight they could add an extra inventory space for an EVA suit. An armored version would work too.

They would make a lot of sense though given the Tholians live in an atmosphere toxic to most other races....
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBaldy
I sure hope so...I really liked using the EV suit for this mission. Heck (pun intended), we'd probably need them to just talk to them in their natural environment.

The one thing I'd like to see as far as EV suits go is faction-correct ones. The one we had was cool, but it was meant for a Jem'Hadar to use. I'd like to see one similar to the ones they used in First Contact/Voyager for feds and one for the Klingons that looks, well, Klingony :p
There's a description of a Klingon space suit in the novel "The Left Hand of Destiny" which pretty much shows the Klingons have no real need for a combat version for their suits.

"This isn't an EVA suit," Ezri Dax complained. "This is a personal, armored biosphere."
Despite warnings that she should not, Ezri kept pressing buttons and switches that activated various defensive and offensive systems. Worf and Alexander had deactivated the most destructive and unpredictable systems, but she continued to find knives concealed disruptors, throwing weapons, grapples- the usual sort of things one might find in a potentially hostile environment.
Was it the Klingons species' fault if they had routinely discorvered more hostile environments than their Federation friends? Worf thought not and he had always considered Starfleet suits to be woefully-equipped.
Recalling the encounter with the Borg on the hull of the Enterprise during their jaunt back to the twenty-first century, Worf remebered how glad he was he had made special modifications to his suit.
"Be glad you'll have the protection," Alexander said soothingly. "And don't touch that switch. Especially if you're going to point it at me."
"Why?"
"Just don't. You'll regret it. I'll regret it."
[...]
Fitting the admittedly massive helmet onto the suit's locking collar, Ezri's knees almost buckled.
[...]
Flecks of ice and dirt clinked and splattered against the helmet's faceplate as she moved in behind the comet, and Ezri was suddenly very grateful for the heavy EVA suit. Without a forcefield, a Federation EVA suit would have been cut to ribbons by the high-speed microscopic dust.

I picture it as as something more akin to the hard-case diving suits used in high-pressure environments.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Armor looking pretty skin tight they could add an extra inventory space for an EVA suit. An armored version would work too.

They would make a lot of sense though given the Tholians live in an atmosphere toxic to most other races....
Even though the armor looks skin tight, it's probably made out of crazy space materials and such. I mean, certain suits have shiny bits that do look like metal, despite being as flexible as cloth.

I imagine at some point in the future, we'll get souped-up versions of the EVA suits. It'd be neat if the Starfleet and KDF suits were each different from each other
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
Even though the armor looks skin tight, it's probably made out of crazy space materials and such. I mean, certain suits have shiny bits that do look like metal, despite being as flexible as cloth.

I imagine at some point in the future, we'll get souped-up versions of the EVA suits. It'd be neat if the Starfleet and KDF suits were each different from each other
My point was that it could fit under the suit, not that it wasn't effective....

Needing EVA suits is problematic anyway though given both sides are armed with disintegration capable weaponry... I mean, you don't have to kill someone directly, just destroy a section of the suit too big to patch. Generally its best not to think about it
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-11-2012, 02:17 PM
i like taking my eva suit off in space. good times.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
There are many things we could use such suits for. . .
How about a daily mission, in the Borg front, where you suit up to do salvage on the hull of a Federation ship, a Klingon ship, and maybe a Borg ship?

Then people would have a reason to go an replay "Boldly..." to outfit their Bridge Officers.

Imagine...salvage on the hull of a Borg ship, and a Borg Drone or two beam out to greet you...

Lt. Commander
# 27
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I would be nice if we could replicate the EVA suits like the remodulators.
That way it would be much more easier to include them in the missions.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Mh... It's pretty terribly armored. As someone who owns a set of STF ground armor, I certainly wouldn't want to do any fighting in it.

Would feel a bit like fake difficulty, I think. Not that the game is difficult mind, but the principal of it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
There are many things we could use such suits for. . .
There was a hint in the "Of Bajor" mission about rising tides.

EV suit plus low gravity volume object = underwater missions. It wouldn't take much, relatively speaking, to do this in the Foundry right now. I've created workable low gravity deep sea environments. I'd just need the enemies for it (and you now even have fish costumes for NPCs) and the ability to require EV suits.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstead
A spacewalking PVP Map? At first it seem a bad idea since you have only two modes of movement; thruster and slugglish walking (so one boot alway stay on surface keeping you anchored). But then it might work *if* you make the map an obstacle course where you try to activate devices and pop up mechanism to confound your opponent. Like what you did to blow up the bug ship but on a smaller scale or cause electrical discharges.
Not only the above, but the space suit doesn't have any kinetic or Physical damage resistance. A Bat'leth tears open your suit...opps.