Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Considering it was the major source of Science dmg, it is a shame that it has become nothing more than a snare.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Quote:
I wonder what the thought process was behind making it next to completely useless. Yeah it looks cool and now effects multiple ships but it does almost nothing in terms of damage. It was one of the few tools science ships had to pump out some dps. Feedback pulse being the other.
THAT is unfortunately something that will always stand in our way - in any MMORPG.
Somewhere, somehow, there is always some dev in the devteam or whomelse who suddenly discover something in an ability. Maybe it was not intentional for Gravwell to be a sole-dmg tool all the way.
Somewhere, I'd actually like it to be a snare that also does -Defense and other debuffs -- IF IT WERE NOT SO EASY TO GET AWAY FROM IT .
Starting with AP:Omega, Engine Batteries, Evasive Manuevers - it is just too easy to run away from it. :/

Quote:
I don't know about everyone else but I'd rather do significant damage to one target that insignificant damage to multiple targets.
Me too :/
On the other hand, SCI should actually be about CC, Debuffs, and all those toys with technobabble to hold enemies back but that is not the case either.

I don't know if it is worth getting vibrant about GravWell.

Then again, if Hybrid Plasma-Ruptors can get nerfed/fixed that fast, maybe we could have something done for GWell too.

The dmg is already mediocre, if not, a joke - so might as well could trade that for a real Debuff and snare, one where NOBODY can get away from that easily. Or like AP:Omega, give gravwell decent 7Debuffs .

Oh well. Let me edit the first post.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-10-2012, 12:32 AM
can we please have our "old" gravity well back. you know, the awesome one the npc's still have? don't believe me? try the beginning of terribledome. now that's a gravity well! If I do a little dance and "shake it" can this be added to a fabulous list of feedback?
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Gravity well has never been a good power for damage. And for whatever reason the tooltip has never reflected the actual damage done. Shields do not matter, the gravity well bypasses shields. It's best to just shrug and ignore it the listed damage until they fix the tooltip.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Correction: It WAS good for damage. Pre-F2P the gravity well alone could cause crippling damage on any ship it sucked in.

And boy, it SUCKED them in and held them inside its gut for the duration. Since the graviton effect nerf the well barely holds them at arm's length where its damage is so weak its a joke.

The increase in size we now have from graviton is the absolute STUPIDEST thing I have ever seen.

Cryptic Logic:

- damage is significantly reduced the further away a ship is from center of anomaly. Just 100m drops the damage to almost half.

- graviton stat is broken. Dunno how that happened. *scratch head*

- since graviton is broken, tractor effect works at nearly half of what it used to. Ships tractored in fly 200m/second away from anomaly while being tractored.

- I know! Lets make graviton increase the size of the anomaly! That way those ships have to fly longer to break free of the tractor and receive damage in the meantime!

... but the damage is STILL high only at the exact center of the anomaly and ships STILL fly out of it easily. All they did was have the ships take a couple of ticks more of ever-decreasing damage strength. You literally see it happen:

Anomaly created right on top of target ship: BEWM! Tick for 1000+ damage
The next 4 seconds the ship flies 200m+ away from the middle. Those four ticks read:
-ship is free of anomaly-

Pre-F2P the ship would remain tractored inside the anomaly if you had good graviton skills and get ticked by 1000 per tick for the entire duration. Thats what made it effective.

The currently nerfed gravity well is pointless to use for damage. Grav well 3 does the same effective damage that grav well 1 does: Barely 2 to 3k damage to hull before ship breaks free.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Gravity well has never been a good power for damage. And for whatever reason the tooltip has never reflected the actual damage done. Shields do not matter, the gravity well bypasses shields. It's best to just shrug and ignore it the listed damage until they fix the tooltip.

"good" is subjective to your perspective however you can't argue that it wasn't better before the change than it is now damage wise.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
So how does Gravity Well 3 compare to Tykins Rift 3? They are both snare type items, but which ones does better damage and which one does a better job at holding?

doing an STF for example gravity well works pretty good to hold on to those nanites to give time for the team to finish off the target - is Tykens better?
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkelton View Post
So how does Gravity Well 3 compare to Tykins Rift 3? They are both snare type items, but which ones does better damage and which one does a better job at holding?

doing an STF for example gravity well works pretty good to hold on to those nanites to give time for the team to finish off the target - is Tykens better?
grav well does more damage because thats what its supposed to do.

Both hold roughly equally well (aka, POORLY since ships escape them a second or two afterwards..wasting the remaining 7+ seconds of the ability).

Tykens does about 1/4th of the damage of a grav well per tick..but tykens is an aoe power drain not a damage attack.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
At this point, the main reason to use GW or Tyken's is when there's a close tangle of ships in PvP. In this sense it can almost be defensive -- if you want to attack ME you have to come close to this AOE.

Also, bigger/slower ships.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-14-2012, 08:18 PM
So what IS the pinnacle science power then? As a science ship, what do I get that's as awesomely useful as Rapid Fire 3 or Extend Shields 3?