Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
03-09-2012, 04:18 PM
very nice.. i love it, however i think crytpic needs to adress the akira. its 440 meter long, and so isnt the nebula, and the nebula looks 50 feet longer than it lol... also, you can see it with the prometheus, the prometheus is 415 meters long, but is still longer than the akira...

i think when crypitc was first designing the game, they didnt want to make it as big as it was onscreen as they were making it an escort. and i think they were thinking small .lol...

your chart is very nice and is now my background hehehe..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
Well going by a comparison side by side of the Odyssey versus the Sovereign (default look) of 685 meters, and seeing the Odyssey is roughly a 3rd longer, that would put the over all length of the Odyssey class around 911 meters, give or take. My guess.
I came up with 1037m or 1090m depending on which your comparing it to, Sovereign or Galaxy. Here is a thread I did with visual comparison and a request to hopefully get some "Official" information on the ships length. Given that the Sovvy and Galaxy are close but not actually correctly scaled to each other makes establishing a certain size more difficult.


http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=252671
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
03-13-2012, 03:03 PM
I'd also be interested in the official size of the vanguard class star cruiser. It's quite a bit longer than the avenger but falls 100-200m short of the odyssey.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34 Wrong size.
03-15-2012, 06:33 AM
The length of the ships don't determine the whole size of the ship. You need to revamp your chart or rename it a longest ship chart. The Galaxy Dreadnaught is the second largest ship to the Odyssey. It may not be as long as the star cruisers or Solvereign classes but it is far wider and taller than both, therefore giving it more volume and surface area. The more surface area, the larger the body. That would put the Galaxy X and regular Galaxy at second and 3rd place.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexin_Cobra View Post
The length of the ships don't determine the whole size of the ship. You need to revamp your chart or rename it a longest ship chart. The Galaxy Dreadnaught is the second largest ship to the Odyssey. It may not be as long as the star cruisers or Solvereign classes but it is far wider and taller than both, therefore giving it more volume and surface area. The more surface area, the larger the body. That would put the Galaxy X and regular Galaxy at second and 3rd place.
it would also put the klingon ships in an entirely different category as they have far more girth than the fed ships do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy2k View Post
I came up with 1037m or 1090m depending on which your comparing it to, Sovereign or Galaxy. Here is a thread I did with visual comparison and a request to hopefully get some "Official" information on the ships length. Given that the Sovvy and Galaxy are close but not actually correctly scaled to each other makes establishing a certain size more difficult.


http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=252671
It was a nice attempt on your work there, but I have to say, having parked myself near a Galaxy and a Sovereign class for comparisons, your imagery there is a tad dubious.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
It was a nice attempt on your work there, but I have to say, having parked myself near a Galaxy and a Sovereign class for comparisons, your imagery there is a tad dubious.
Not sure what you mean? I positioned each on the same plane against the upper pylon and overlayed each image to size and establish the same scale.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I have updated my ship chart with the Odyssey, and can confirm the estimate of around 1100 meters. I'll repeat here that my images were captured from a demo, with the ship at the exact same camera range each time, so the comparison should be absolutely precise. In fact, if the devs make their ships any bigger, I will have to change my camera distance, as the Odyssey almost didn't fit on the screen! As it was, the nacelles did go slightly over 1024 pixels, but I was able to overlap two images.

Another complication is that the devs appear to use a scale formula which does not exactly relate in game coordinates to meters, smaller ships are scaled slightly larger in proportion so they will be easier to see. Not as much as shuttles, but there is a small "fudge factor". This is why the grid on the left side of the table doesn't actually match the one on the right.

I realize that there are a lot of additional ships now, as well as the new Type 10 shuttle, however, all of the ships except for the Odyssey are merely reskins of the existing ships. Thus, while there may be a difference in length on the order of a half dozen meters or so, it is not enough to justify a whole new entry in the table. However, what I may do is put together a separate table or two (or four or five ) that relates the various ship skin choices to each other.

I may also add the Odyssey's saucer and escort, as well as the Galaxy's saucer, to the MVAM table, just to give it more variety.

To Alexin Cobra, while I understand that listing the ships in order of length is not strictly in order of size, it does give a basic idea of the progression of smallest ship to largest, which is what the players want to see. Note that my table intentionally places the ships at a pronounced angle, so it is clear how wide each ship is, as well as how long. It is clear from the image of the Galaxy that while it is not longer than the Sovereign, it does likely have more mass.

You may note from my revision history that I originally had the listing in order of mass. I found that too many people complained that they were not in order of length, however, insisting that I had put them in the wrong order. In addition, it is far more difficult to estimate overall mass of the ships, and that would make the table much too subject to opinion and guesswork.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
What's up with people perpetuating the 120 meter Defiant?

The model was built to a scale of 170. There's a ton of stuff that only works if it's 170.

The only reason to consider it smaller than 170 is if you're trying to vindicate the tech manuals somehow.

And moreso than the other series, I don't think the people who did the tech manuals really had much say on DS9. I might listen to Drex and Okuda and company about TNG, Enterprise, or Voyager. DS9, the creative folks DELIBERATELY rejected tech advice and I think that means the tech folks aren't reliable authorities when it comes to DS9 aside from what they can tell us about the finished product.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
it would also put the klingon ships in an entirely different category as they have far more girth than the fed ships do.
They already do. Look at the hull strengths they have compared to Fed ship.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM.