Lt. Commander
# 11
03-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I just want to point something out, here.

"Do not enter unless you know what you're doing." <--- How are they supposed to know what they're doing if... they... can't enter?

This, good friends, is what is called "catch-22".

Now, I'm not saying total idiots should be doing Elites. Even if you know the game well, you shouldn't just jump right in, and you should know the Normal version very well before you move up to Elite.

However.

Knowing the Normal version does not equate to being awesome at the Elite version. This is important. This is very important and you need to remember it.

It is a good head-start, but that's all it is.

Moving up to Elite is a whole different ballgame. Everything is harder. Someone who did great on Normal might still get their backside kicked on Elite. (Similarly, you could get some natural genius who takes cues well and does a good job on Elite without ever even touching Normal, but that's even stranger).

My point is, just because someone screws up on their first Elite, that's no reason to tear them down - that's the kind of thing that turns people off Elites and scares people away from the 'endgame community' forever, and that is a crying shame, because you never know when you're turning away someone who, with a little teaching and patience, could be one of the best.

So rather than chew out anyone who screws up, try to help. Don't be condescending, don't be insulting, don't be demanding. Try to help. Try to teach. Try to remember, we were all noobs once.

And if they don't want to learn? Then you can chew them out. Because then they're being willfully ignorant, and willful ignorance is for jerks.

P.S. if this is about joining random pub Elites and expecting it to be anything other than random pubbies who have no knowledge of each other and no idea how to work together... what the heck did you expect? It's pubbies.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't have problems with people with little experience entering into Elite STF's. If they struggle I will gladly pause and be willing to give them advice and help them through it. Try to make them a better player.

My issue is when these people come into Elite STF's.. with no clue.. and when I try to give them the help they need they just flat out ignore everyone and continue to wreck everything. That right there shows a complete disrespect to your teammates when you don't care at all what they think.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japfi
My issue is when these people come into Elite STF's.. with no clue.. and when I try to give them the help they need they just flat out ignore everyone and continue to wreck everything.
If that's what's happening, then by all means, kick the dummy to the curb. I just want to make sure people who want to learn, have someone to teach them. If they go in like jerks and refuse to be taught, that's on them.

I do want to reiterate 'don't go into a public STF expecting geniuses', though. There's a reason I don't touch public STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japfi
I don't have problems with people with little experience entering into Elite STF's. If they struggle I will gladly pause and be willing to give them advice and help them through it. Try to make them a better player.

My issue is when these people come into Elite STF's.. with no clue.. and when I try to give them the help they need they just flat out ignore everyone and continue to wreck everything. That right there shows a complete disrespect to your teammates when you don't care at all what they think.
Yep...almost as bad as suiciding in PvP...
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I think it's unfair to scare people away from the elite STF's, I only started playing them a few days ago and am only now getting used to the space missions and the increase in difficulty. The biggest thing I hate is when people simply don't even bother to read team chat or listen to those who are experienced and trying to offer help. Infected for example, "take generators to 10% don't kill them" BOOM /spawn nanite spheres. I'm fine with people new to elites joining in, otherwise how can they get the experience? I just have a real problem when newbies come in and don't even bother to act as part of a team and read advice and act upon it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I think your delivery could be better but I agree with what your saying.

I've done plenty of normalls and a good number of elites, not 100's but enough to know how to do each one and stand a good chance of actually doing it.

really bugs me when someone comes in and doesn't listen to advice/help/requests AT ALL!!

Or does something that will fail the optional right away with such urgancy its like they think its the objective.

I think the elite should only unlock after something like 5 complete optionals on a given stf that way at least they might know what they are doing and probably have some suitable gear.

the fact that most normalls are done in a different way to the elites doesn't help. My first couple of elites I thought I knew exacltly how do it based on bossing normalls only to find out that method was actually pretty stupid and doomed to fail.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Noobs in Elites are the most annoying thing in this game.
Sort of. I donno, when I PUG for an elite STF I enter the match under an implicit understanding that I intend to carry my team. (WTB Caitlyn's Q animation for my pulsewave secondary fire.)

It's when four other people join the match with this intention also that things are beautiful.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Just need to be able to do 1 thing to do elite STFs.

Read Team Chat!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary666 View Post
Just need to be able to do 1 thing to do elite STFs.

Read Team Chat!
agreed. I am more then willing to explain things, but when things being said in chat are ignored thats when i get ****y.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
That's all good and well, but the harcore STF people need to realise that every single PUG may contain someone who is doing it on Elite for the first time and may still get overwhelmed even if they know what they are doing.

If your strategy is not flexible enough to include the idea of Free Will (including other peoples 'Lack of skil' ), then perhaps it is not as strong a strategy as you think.

If you don't understand why Free Will is important for a healthy society (including online Communities), then that is a pity.

If you do, then simply rework your strategy.

May I politely suggest starting with realising hat you will not be able to get every single STF pick up ever, simply because if other people are involved then there are random factors that you cannot predict, and then accepting that fact?

Don't make it about "I can get it all the drops", make it about "How many drops can I get on average per play, with this 'handicap'?" If you are truly that skilled, you should be able to compensate. If you aren't skilled enough to compensate for that, then you have a new goal.

( I am not trying to be smarmy, I ran across a similar issue in Guild Wars, and that was the only thing that helped me stop raging.)