Lt. Commander
# 231
03-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
I have done that mission now about 4 or 5 times with different Characters, every Ship/captain and Captain/Kit combination needs a different strategy, of course.

My point was that the NPCs got some unfair advantages, imo.
(Torpedoes that rip your shields apart in one salvo in space and cloaking, mine laying while cloaked and mines that can kill you instantly when things go bad on ground)
I don't see a reason to make NPCs THAT overpowered, thats all.

My other point was that i noticed that the devs seem to think that NPCs (Borg and now Dominion) need some unfair one-shot Weapons.

Live long and prosper.
I didn't notice any mine laying while cloaked, and the only cloaking was the Jem'Hadar shrouds. You can see the mines being laid, although they disappear straight after. But as I said, you've got to plan ahead, get to somewhere you can take cover easily to let your shields regen between shots etc, and use all of your abilities. The empty shops along the promenade are great for this. A series of premade bunkers to fall back to.

Regarding the torpedo salvos, they're nowhere near on a par with the Borg invisible torpedo-o-doom. I was surviving them on the rare occasion I got them, and it was the NPCs catching most of the heat unless I used torpedo spread or something. The Borg ones will instagib anyone, these, not the case.

The NPC fights required more thought tha normal, but it's not like there's no way of doing them without having to respawn lots, it just takes a little thought prior to action.
Lt. Commander
# 232
03-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Was hoping the enterprise would have been captained by the admiral you report to for the FE. The belfast captain managed to fly it into a pylon on ds9 and get stuck at least 3 different playthroughs so made it of much less use than it should have been. But fair enough as npc ships tend to be cannon fodder for the jem's.

Some kind of ground combat on the outside of ds9 would have been good to see. Maybe using the nav posts to shift about to avoid suit failure. Promenade bit was fairly standard ground combat though the mines are as ever an irritation as they dont ever seem to vanish post combat.
Lt. Commander
# 233 Im afraid,
03-12-2012, 07:19 AM
when i read all the whining on the "hard" promenade grnd part and the so "hard" space part, that they will make the mission easier, PLEASE DONT DO IT, its not necessary, maybe some should think about there tactics!!!

I loved the episode!

Okay i was surprised about the power of the JemHadar on grnd (1st time with eng = 1 die on promenade, just 1 yes !!), i changed my tactics (1st of all slowing down the fight, bringing distance between me and ...)
the same in the Ops.
Had not one respawn, when i did it my 2nd time with my tac!!
No problems with my favorites ,my sci chars, at all.

The space spawn point is a hard nut, but again a almost similar tactic means bringing distance to the main bulk of enemies (erasive,deuterium surplus, polarize hull whatever) and than the situation is different and much easier to handle.

Some say they died 8 times in the space part, SORRY HOW DID U MAKE THAT???

I cant understand that, im just a fun player not big looking on the statistics mathematics or whatever , so i have just a good old Aegis set (or old borg sets on my ships ...... so nothing special)
My 1st (automated ) reaction in space was hitting reverse shield polarity and away of that bulk.....

L2P

P.S.: Im really happy that not every mission is a brainless-"arcade shooter like"-walk through
Lt. Commander
# 234
03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I really loved "Boldly They Rode," because it had such a feeling of adventure to it. But I can understand why it may have annoyed some people. If you've spent 90% of your gameplay running like a demon everywhere, the space walk was going to be agonizing.

I had a hard time with the promenade, but it was a great learning experience. I suck at ground combat so always rely on my away team as a crutch to get me through missions. Having to go it alone I had to really think strategically. I think it may have also been the first time I finally used cover.
Lt. Commander
# 235
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I have to agree with what several people have said, the combat in this mission was NOT hard and this mission does not need a nerf. The first time I played through this was with my main SCI and I got through all the combat... ground and space using what I consider my standard loadouts.

It was fun and challenging, but nowhere near hard or impossible, any of it. As much as some may not want to hear this, not everything in life or this game has to be handed to you on a silver platter or ever will be no matter how fair/unfair you think it is or how deserving you think you are. Learn from your mistakes - improvise, adapt, and overcome!
Lt. Commander
# 236
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Guess I'll give my quick opinion.

Overall, I liked this mission. I can see why some people would not love the EVA portion, but I thought it was well done, technically. I felt like I was clanking around on the hull of the station and using suit thrusters to move. I stepped off one of the ledges and floated. Well done!

Of course it would have been even better if you could've used suit thrusters to move at will, but I'm okay with it.

The puzzles weren't that great, but okay once you get the hang of them.

Puzzle #1: Sensor Redirection -- Kudos for a Cardassian-style control interface, but having to plod all the way around to get to the secondary controls is a bit tedius. They do change when you replay the mission, so it's not like you do it once and write it down. It's just the logic of combining enforced slow movement with semi-distant panels that I question. Ah well, this is Cardassian engineering and DS-9.

Puzzle #2: Isolinear Chips -- Hated it the first time through. I'm a guy who can only solve one face of a Rubik's Cube at a time; this is not my forte. Once you figure out the solution, though, it's a cakewalk. Unlike the first puzzle this one never changes. Maybe it should, but I would have been seriously frustrated replaying this for my alts.

I liked everything about the interior mission. My KDF Science Healer had a lot of trouble with this, but my other characters did fine.

Space. There's a reason it's called the "Final" frontier, I guess. I can't tell you how many times I respawned on this no matter which character I used. I can say that this was very frustrating to do in a BoP and I was getting creamed even in my Odyssey. Only my Engineer was able to limit the number of Ka-Booms by tanking like mad. I don't mind Ka-Booming once in awhile when I deserve it, and maybe I did deserve it for not kitting out my build to the max, but that was harsh.

I would have enjoyed this more if the mission had taken me down to say, 25% hull to show me that the odds are really, really bad, then played the cutscene and had the Enterprise warp in to attack range with a small task force to even the odds a little. Also, at the point when the cutscene ends, give me a chance to buff my ship and lick my wounds before I have to rejoin the fray... I don't need to be targeted by a half dozen or more ships at that particular moment in time.

Getting blown up is not a good mission trigger to advance the story, IMO.

Oh, and put the respawn point somewhere away from the station, M'Kay?
Lt. Commander
# 237
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Just reached Rear Admiral by completing. I must say, using the Oribital Strike ability since I'm an engineering captain is very useful against grouped opponents. Also, the Jem'hadar Armored Shroud set ability is useful for a quick heal. The EVA suit is cool. But now I have to RERUN the series for Mk X gear now........
Lt. Commander
# 238
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498
I disagree, I've done the mission 4 times so far, and the only time I have had any trouble in the space portion, was when I popped BFAW at the start, BIG mistake.. The rest of the fleet has 1 job, to hold aggro... all you do is go in and start picking off ships 1 by one, once the fleet thins out, you can start firing off BFAW and Spread to your heart's content.

But if you do ANY kind of AoE right at the start, you're in trouble.
^^^
Pretty much this - on my first runthrough I popped a Frrdback pulse and FAW - and the return fire on me was MASSIVE (and a result of me just thinking - hey it's STO - even on Elite I rarely feel challenged; lets just spam DPS and get this over with.)

So, yes, O was actually happy that they didn't just give us a final battle that was NOT'spam as much DPS and AoE and just mop up'; as if you try that out of the gate the Jem Hadar fleet will be all too happy tp light you up and blow you away in short order.

On my second run, I took a look at what was arund - started picking off ships singly as they became more damaged and got things pretty much under control by the time the Big-E showed up
Lt. Commander
# 239
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I died the second time I did the spacey part of the mission, for the simple reason as soon as I spawned, I was attacked by almost all the ships at once

And they have a nasty habit of ALL using their bloody tractor push? beams

I was being pushed constantly further and further away, heh
Lt. Commander
# 240 My two cents.
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
The space walk was pretty cool, but hopefully they find a way to expand on the system for future uses. Despite the thrill of being outside the station, the pathing was rather limited.

Inside DS9 was by far the hardest part for me. I essentially used my stealth to circumvent the Jem'Hadar on the promenade entirely. The few times I was either discovered or attempted to engage the soldiers, I got an education everytime. And as frustrating as that was, I had to remind myself that I'm on an enemy space station and one dipstick with a phaser is NOT going to take out an occupation force.

That said, I made it to OPs. Managed to take out all of the guards and eventually the top dog.

I did not find the space portion to be especially difficult, but it was enjoyable just the same. A good space battle is always welcome. I too was excited to see the Enterprise hop into the fray, but was equally disappointed to see that it wasn't skippered by a more familiar character. Ahh well.

Overall, an enjoyable mission. But if I could change anything, I would have made it possible to do more to undermine the Jem'Hadar on the promenade. More forcefield traps, transporter beam outs and the like. And have those traps actually remove enemies from the map, though the cutscenes showing the results of my sabotage were very enjoyable, I don't think the traps did much to actually remove any enemy groups. At least, I didn't really notice a difference.

Between the cutscenes showing the sabotage results and the groundwork laid for spacewalks, I think we'll be seeing some cool features coming our way in the Foundry... eventually. If nothing else, some great features making their way into the game with more frequency.