Lt. Commander
# 1 The Dilithium Ex thread
03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
So I've noticed that the average cost of cpoints has gone up, I would assume this is because of so much cstore content being release this month. But they are the largest prices I have seen per point since I took notice of the exchange last month.

As a noob to the exchange, can anyone tell me when the prices should go back down? And what the highest price you've ever seen is?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
There's really no way to predict it. When the D-Exchange first launched it was roughly 330 Dil per CP, it went as high as 410 during the last sale before F2P. I've seen it as low as 180. 220 seems to be the happy medium for the last few weeks, rarely straying from that amount.

But as you point out, with new store items comes demand.

I thought it was going to sky-rocket with the DS9 bundle release, and while it did jump by over 100CP it came back down after a few days. I expect the +1 variants to be more sought after, so a higher jump is likely, imo. Depending on the supply of CP we'll just have to wait and see how high it goes... and if it drops back to it's current point afterward.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Prices were well over 400 in december. The players decide what the current levels are. That way cryptic can't be blamed when they reach stupid high prices. Any time new stuff gets released to pay2win store, the prices start climbing. It's unfortunate that it's a system run by greed instead of people trying to help fellow players enjoy the game as well( and I am not talking just the dilithium exchange with this sentence). That's life though. Just gotta go with the flow.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I believe it was at 300+ when I started. It was not long until it was down in the 150s. Then it muddled its way back up to the 200s. It shows at 236 now, but I saw it go above 240 recently.

It's been interesting to watch, to say the least. It's also fun to do the math to see what hourly wage PWE/Cryptic is paying folks to farm Dilithium to that folks that buy CP to exchange for Dil can.

The math may be off because of how broken PvP's become and the effect it may have had on Ker'rat; but a decent guesstimate had been around 45 minutes for 8K - could be faster, could be slower, etc.

@236 Dil/CP, you're getting 33 CP from that 8k. Have to round down, since they're not going to round up...lol.

@100 CP for $1.25, you're looking at around 41 for your 33 CP....around 54 an hour to farm Dilithium for PWE/Cryptic so they can sell it for cash.

The Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 an hour. That would be around 580 CP. Given that we're looking at a 45 minute interval rather than hourly, we'd need 435 CP from our 45 minutes of Dil farming. So in order for it to approximate the FMW, the exchange rate would have to be around 18-19 Dil per CP.

Yep, definitely fun to look at...
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
The last time C-Point prices went down drastically was when there was a long lull in C-Store releases. I don't believe that will happen again b/c F2P is C-Store focused. I expect a steady stream of "content" released via the C-Store and a slow creep in C-Point inflation.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitate View Post
There's really no way to predict it. When the D-Exchange first launched it was roughly 330 Dil per CP, it went as high as 410 during the last sale before F2P.
It went up to at least 485 during the 'Winter Exchange Red Box event'.

That said, just like the Stock Exchange, the Dilithium Exchange varies from day to day and time to time. Trying to gauge anything other than broad predictions (it'll go up during a sale and down when there's not) is fairly pointless, because C-points will end up costing whatever the market is willing to bear at any given time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I think some of you look a litttllle bit too much into the Exchange... :p

That said, its simple supply and demand. If there's a cool new C-Store thing everyone wants, expect the price to skyrocket - particularly if the supply runs thin. If nothing cool comes out, the price will go down.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm kicking myself for not selling all my Dilithium when it was in the 180s.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torlak
I'm kicking myself for not selling all my Dilithium when it was in the 180s.
I'm kicking myself for any of the Dilithium that I converted to CP to buy keys for Gold Boxes...

...if I had simply converted it to CP when it was low, could have converted it back to Dil as the rate changed.