Lt. Commander
# 11
03-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
So thrilled to hear this and SO looking forward to seeing it! I have been waiting most of my life for this movie! I first read EBR's Barsoom novels as a kid back in the '60's. Actually Tarzan was the least of his creations. There's also Carson of Venus and the world of Pellucidar... the world at the center of the Earth. In one of his novels, in fact, Tarzan journey's to Pellucidar. But John Carter was always my hero. And his books introduced me to another concept that was rather novel in those days (novel... get it? heheheh) and that was the strong warrior woman who was the equal of any man and a man/woman relationship based on friendship and mutual trust and respect and equality. It changed my whole outlook! From that day on no lesser woman would do heheheheh (and I found her and we've been together for over 25 years!)

Rest assured that Dejah Thoris can hold her own and stays sexxy and femine and believably tough.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I have not had a chance to read Edgar Rice Burrough's stories, but I look forward to reading them. Some of my favorite authors consider this man to be one of their favorites too. I'm a huge Robert Heinlein fan, and he puts references of The Princess of Mars series in more than one of his novels.

Heard the movie wasn't so good. Got slaughtered in the box office. But so far I've seen only positive reviews here... wth?
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I've been catching the poor box office analysis, too. As far as behind the scenes goes, the name Disney might have had negative impact on the overall production. But I'm also reading about advance screenings that seemed to have panned the movie in some circles. Some of today's analysis suggest the film had no redeeming qualities from the start. To which I have to firmly call BS and poke a stick in some peoples eye. :p

I would be thrilled to see this film bounce back in the face of the negativity.

Now something that does occur to me is that this film is released in 3D. As an unproven film series, that may be the real reason for film goers to look askance at it. I think the ticket prices are too darned high for 3D. I admittedly went out of my way to see it in 2D at a matinee. Once I saw how good the film was, I have intention to see the film again. Maybe even in 3D.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
My first theory was that critics are rather out of touch, and as a result their opinions are different than the regular moviegoing public.

To me, I think the jury's still out on whether or not there's a huge disconnect between critics/film buffs and the regular audience. Not sure if that speaks ill of the critics.... or the people.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Poor marketing is responsible for the poor opening. I took my son to the film, but it was difficult to convince him to go based upon the trailers. I wanted to go because I knew what John Carter was, but to the uninitiated those trailers do not entice. They needed some trailers featuring Woola. My son loved the film, we agree that Woola is awsome.

Hopefully, John Carter will pick-up box-office steam due to word of mouth.

This is the first film I have seen in IMAX 3D, the experience was so magnificent that words do not do it justice. It will just have to suffice to say that i am going again this up comming weekend, and I look forward to other IMAX 3D experiences in the future.

WOOLA ROCKS!!!
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Nice article!

And since you mentioned you were interestedCLICK HERE for FREE DOWNLOAD "A Princess of Mars" the first John Carter novel.

I do like Project Gutenberg

I recommend watching the film first and then reading the book to fill in the gaps.
Thanks for the link.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Excellent movie, loved every moment of it. Going to get the book(s) as soon as I can.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Ran across this Extended John Carter Trailer

Definately worth a look.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-13-2012, 02:03 PM
WarpVis you're a fountain of information! Any ideas when JC is coming to BluRay? Seriously.