Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2orat
I have to really back up Nagorak here - if you aren't exploring the Foundry you are really missing out.
But the Foundry is incapable of filling in for a lack of developer created content, even taking into account the fantastic talents of its authors.

Right now the assets are too limited, the rewards too few, and the search/featuring system too tepid to really let the system act as a crutch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
My experiences with foundry have been bad to say the least, from ridiculous grammatical and spelling errors (seriously does anyone proof read that stuff before the publish it) to some stories and dialogue that seem so ridiculous that they could've been a Voyager episode.

I refuse to grind STF's as the old ones were far superior. As for Doffs well there's an option but that you can pretty much log in for 5 minutes set up then see you tomorrow.

The Borg Invasion event is just more grind like the ST-F's, do it once but then it becomes boring repetitive and pointless IMO. I've got 4 characters, maybe I'll grind out the rest of my Klingon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
DOFFing, mostly. Foundry missions. STFs now and then (not grinding).

Lukas, I suspect it's not a matter of not proofing, it's that they really don't know any better - the overall level of literacy these days is, um, "not good".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2orat
I have to really back up Nagorak here - if you aren't exploring the Foundry you are really missing out.
Hey I'm all for that.

So how about spear-heading an effort on our behalf to get the Foundry updated with bug fixes, new features and new resources to work with. Give us access to all the maps in the game, all the props in the game, and all the uniforms and ship models in the game.

If you guys cannot be bothered to release official content regularly enough that we don't have to run the same dailies, STFs, PvP battles and DOff assignments over and over and over and over, then at least give us the tools to produce missions for our fleet mates and/or the general player population.

A lot of us would really like to explore the Foundry as you say. But there are still enough issues with it to make it counter productive. People get one-starred because of bugs that you guys refuse to fix. And as I understand it, the neverwinter foundry is getting all these cool features that STO's foundry likely will never see. And there's no telling when that game will come out. This one is here, and it gets so little support.

A featured series that lasts five weeks is cool. But when it has to be followed by half a year of nothing but repetition, it really isn't a solution.

To Perfiect World:
You guys need to direct Cryptic to either fix and update the foundry so we CAN explore it to its potential, or to get off their butts and start releasing regular content. With all those lottery box keys you guys sold, you should be able to afford to fully staff the team for a full year and make available whatever resources they need to get either of the above jobs done. Deploy whatever cash grabs you want to. But take enough of the profits and funnel them back into STO's development.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
What's everyone else got planned (gaming wise) to get them through the renewed content drought?
Champions Online
SWTOR
Finish leveling my Tac Captain, Sci Captain and Klingon
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2orat
I have to really back up Nagorak here - if you aren't exploring the Foundry you are really missing out.
More people might explore the Foundry, or even use it to make some content, if it wasn't so limited.

Oh, and for those of us who are silvers, and can't purchase Foundry slots to begin work on anything because of a bug dating back to the F2P launch, there isn't alot with the Foundry to look favorably on.

Perhaps if some development time were put towards the Foundry and getting it up to snuff, and the bugs fixed, instead of the C-Store 100% of the time, you might get more people interested in playing, and would then have more customers for your C-Store.

/shrug
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
More people might explore the Foundry, or even use it to make some content, if it wasn't so limited.

Oh, and for those of us who are silvers, and can't purchase Foundry slots to begin work on anything because of a bug dating back to the F2P launch, there isn't alot with the Foundry to look favorably on.

Perhaps if some development time were put towards the Foundry and getting it up to snuff, and the bugs fixed, instead of the C-Store 100% of the time, you might get more people interested in playing, and would then have more customers for your C-Store.

/shrug
And you know, Foundry resource packs could be sold on the C-store.

You see, I view the Foundry as sort of a model railroad with story as the train. If you buy a model railroad starter kit, you get a train engine, a few boxcars, maybe a couple of model buildings, and enough track to make the thing go round and circles. For some, this is enough. But for those who are serious hobbyists, it falls drastically short. They'll go out and buy more track pieces, some with switching mechanisms. They'll buy a wide variety of different box cars. They'll buy model buildings. They'll buy model trees. They'll buy large quantities of styrofoam blocks and shape them into mountains with tunnels through them. They'll buy paint to color a custom-designed landscape. When they are done, even though the principle of trains going around a track remains unchanged, the nature of the track takes on an awesome personality of its own.

So yes... Fix the basic foundry and offer extended functionality and design resources to the C-store. And make it so that silvers can purchase slots without that annoying bug that is there now. Not everyone who would use the foundry will buy everything. But those who take the greatest pride in their ability to create and share their creations will not mind investing in their ability to do so...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
And you know, Foundry resource packs could be sold on the C-store.

You see, I view the Foundry as sort of a model railroad with story as the train. If you buy a model railroad starter kit, you get a train engine, a few boxcars, maybe a couple of model buildings, and enough track to make the thing go round and circles. For some, this is enough. But for those who are serious hobbyists, it falls drastically short. They'll go out and buy more track pieces, some with switching mechanisms. They'll buy a wide variety of different box cars. They'll buy model buildings. They'll buy model trees. They'll buy large quantities of styrofoam blocks and shape them into mountains with tunnels through them. They'll buy paint to color a custom-designed landscape. When they are done, even though the principle of trains going around a track remains unchanged, the nature of the track takes on an awesome personality of its own.

So yes... Fix the basic foundry and offer extended functionality and design resources to the C-store. And make it so that silvers can purchase slots without that annoying bug that is there now. Not everyone who would use the foundry will buy everything. But those who take the greatest pride in their ability to create and share their creations will not mind investing in their ability to do so...
Not to mention that if they ever get around to "customizable interiors via Foundry" it can open them up to even more sales, as they could sell "Era packs" for creating era specific interiors, and some "interior furnishings" packs that perhaps offer deluxe interior models, etc.

Lots of possibilities.

But the very first thing they need to do is an update for the Foundry, as well as getting silvers able to buy slots.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Seriously, some of the missions in the Foundry are better than the ones made by Cryptic.
And that's just sad....
What a shame you can't get real rewards with them, just the novelty of something different to do.
The fact that this statement is backed up by a Dev makes it even sadder...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
And you know, Foundry resource packs could be sold on the C-store.

You see, I view the Foundry as sort of a model railroad with story as the train. If you buy a model railroad starter kit, you get a train engine, a few boxcars, maybe a couple of model buildings, and enough track to make the thing go round and circles. For some, this is enough. But for those who are serious hobbyists, it falls drastically short. They'll go out and buy more track pieces, some with switching mechanisms. They'll buy a wide variety of different box cars. They'll buy model buildings. They'll buy model trees. They'll buy large quantities of styrofoam blocks and shape them into mountains with tunnels through them. They'll buy paint to color a custom-designed landscape. When they are done, even though the principle of trains going around a track remains unchanged, the nature of the track takes on an awesome personality of its own.

So yes... Fix the basic foundry and offer extended functionality and design resources to the C-store. And make it so that silvers can purchase slots without that annoying bug that is there now. Not everyone who would use the foundry will buy everything. But those who take the greatest pride in their ability to create and share their creations will not mind investing in their ability to do so...
I agree with this but even with all these fixes, I'm not really inclined to play Foundry Missions.

As someone else said, most missions are a crap shoot with poor spelling, grammar, and basic competence in writing that leaves much to be desired.

As such, I just have zero motivation to even touch the Foundry, despite the whole Foundry spotlight which ostensibly finds good missions for me.

To me, the Foundry isn't a substitute for content. It just isn't and it never will be. Sorry
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 AM.